What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
1 1/2 pass shave: WTG, XTG​
Razor: Merkur Progress 510 Long Handle #4​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave Balm: Proraso White for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Rating: 10/10 A DFS! No nicks! No irritation!
  • Extremely close shave for a 1-1/2 pass shave!
proxy.php

Pre: Hot Towel
Soap: SV Cosmo (second use in the Copper Bowl, very nice lather & slickness)
Brush: Simpson’s M7 Best, (it is a great brush, but instead of being a little scratchy like my other Best brushes, it feels in between those and my Chubby 2 Super)
Blade: Polsilver (1st use)
Razor: Timeless SS Scalloped .95, I think I like a little blade feel reminds me of my EJ 3one6, only smoother, I think the whole blade is held a little more firmly.

Very good shave, no irritation

9/10

My thought is the next blade to try is a Nacet it is a little sharper, then if that works I could try a Feather, but I am pretty for a regular everyday blade it will be Polsilver.
BE700DF2-C236-499F-B7DC-78BC99BD877D.jpeg

Kyle's prep
brush: zenith b23 boar
razor: RR GC 84 SB
blade: gillette platinum plus(10)
soap: spearhead seaforth spiced
osma alum block
shower and comfort lather
thayers witch hazel
cerave moisturizing cream

outstanding shave 10/10

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 5

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Razor: Gustav Zimmer (Oldenburg Germany)
Strop: Ezra Arthur 3” Horsehide
Brush: Spiffo - Alezeh (High Mountain White SHD-Fan) 26mm
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Arsenal Grooming - Da’ Bomb
Aftershave: Chiseled Face - Cedar & Spice
View attachment 1208511
Shave Rating: 6/10
2 ears ✅
2 lips ✅
1 nose ✅
My first Straight Razor Shave
🩸 🩸 🩸
A very serious comedy. I could fill the page trying to write about this shave. Everything was a new first for me. It all started when I saw a namesake “Zimmer” razor for $10. A rusty butter knife that I rehabbed and honed with no previous experience. I was amping myself up to give it a go. I needed a strop before I could begin! so I ordered one. The post office lost my package for a month and I started losing my confidence a day at a time.
Was my razor sharp enough? Did I strop it properly? I have nothing to compare it to. The funniest part was watching me trying to position my fingers to hold it in that SR grip. Looking in the mirror in reverse even made it more confusing.
I guess the shave went okay my for first time. The first pass went surprisingly well. The second was a little more confusing because I couldn’t apply the same directions I use with my DEs. I did a lot of directional work on my neck but never managed to get it completely smooth. Actually I’m surprised I didn’t end up with any cuts on my neck...I saved those for under my nose.
Nose and chin were all guess work. I did pretty well from my lower lip to my chin...nice and close, but got some nicks under my nose. I got one long slice on my cheek. Very shallow...didn’t bleed...just an epidermal surface fillet. I was in the middle of a pass when I decided to bullfrog my cheek while the razor was in motion. A dumb move, but could have been worse.
Anyway, I cant really say if it was a good, bad or indifferent shave. I’ll probably DE my next shave just to let the nicks heal. Don’t know exactly how a well honed razor should feel, but I’ll just give this one some more stropping before my next shave.

Keep your eye on your nose

Wow! You've really forged ahead with the whole straight thing! Good for you! My Feather AC is collecting dust I'm afraid. I may be pif'ing it this year. Still deciding.

Fri 15th SOTD with New US$1 Brush! Thanks, @Ron R for your enabling pictures😆
Soap
Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay
Brush Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky Deep Blue Ohhh so soft is the knot yet great for face lathering. The handle is so comfortable!
Razor Pearl Flexi Adjustable (setting 3-2.5-2)
Blade Viking's Sword 4th and last!
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Excellent lather from the soap. Creamy and slick with a scent I just love.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was just ok. Smooth and comfortable for 3passes and again except atg on the chin and lips area. Did not push it and as a result, was between dfs/ccs/sas without any nicks weepers nor irritation. WFH so don't require a perfect result. The main thing is no blood and irritation. Excellent post & aftershaves. Rating 9/10
20210115_093330.jpg

Fri 15th SOTD with New US$1 Brush! Thanks, @Ron R for your enabling pictures😆
Soap
Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay
Brush Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky Deep Blue Ohhh so soft is the knot yet great for face lathering. The handle is so comfortable!
Razor Pearl Flexi Adjustable (setting 3-2.5-2)
Blade Viking's Sword 4th and last!
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Excellent lather from the soap. Creamy and slick with a scent I just love.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was just ok. Smooth and comfortable for 3passes and again except atg on the chin and lips area. Did not push it and as a result, was between dfs/ccs/sas without any nicks weepers nor irritation. WFH so don't require a perfect result. The main thing is no blood and irritation. Excellent post & aftershaves. Rating 9/10
View attachment 1208727
What brush is that? I’m looking for a handle in that colour of blue for a knot I want to try.

Razor: Gustav Zimmer (Oldenburg Germany)
Strop: Ezra Arthur 3” Horsehide
Brush: Spiffo - Alezeh (High Mountain White SHD-Fan) 26mm
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Arsenal Grooming - Da’ Bomb
Aftershave: Chiseled Face - Cedar & Spice
View attachment 1208511
Shave Rating: 6/10
2 ears ✅
2 lips ✅
1 nose ✅
My first Straight Razor Shave
🩸 🩸 🩸
A very serious comedy. I could fill the page trying to write about this shave. Everything was a new first for me. It all started when I saw a namesake “Zimmer” razor for $10. A rusty butter knife that I rehabbed and honed with no previous experience. I was amping myself up to give it a go. I needed a strop before I could begin! so I ordered one. The post office lost my package for a month and I started losing my confidence a day at a time.
Was my razor sharp enough? Did I strop it properly? I have nothing to compare it to. The funniest part was watching me trying to position my fingers to hold it in that SR grip. Looking in the mirror in reverse even made it more confusing.
I guess the shave went okay my for first time. The first pass went surprisingly well. The second was a little more confusing because I couldn’t apply the same directions I use with my DEs. I did a lot of directional work on my neck but never managed to get it completely smooth. Actually I’m surprised I didn’t end up with any cuts on my neck...I saved those for under my nose.
Nose and chin were all guess work. I did pretty well from my lower lip to my chin...nice and close, but got some nicks under my nose. I got one long slice on my cheek. Very shallow...didn’t bleed...just an epidermal surface fillet. I was in the middle of a pass when I decided to bullfrog my cheek while the razor was in motion. A dumb move, but could have been worse.
Anyway, I cant really say if it was a good, bad or indifferent shave. I’ll probably DE my next shave just to let the nicks heal. Don’t know exactly how a well honed razor should feel, but I’ll just give this one some more stropping before my next shave.

Keep your eye on your nose

Your restoration looks great!!
Sounds like you got a pretty good edge on it from what you have said.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Thursday morning shave

Razor: H. Cromwell Criterion
Brush: Badger
Soap: Tabac

A great shave with the Criterion after adding new scales. Felt solid in the hand although the tail is somewhat shorter now, that’s my fault. Happy Thursday all!

83A31717-2E81-49E6-A0C4-AB37065014A9.jpeg

9/10

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRX Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Indian Half Blade (D1)
Brush: Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Cream : Old Spice Original Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Skin Bracer
Rating : 9.8/10

Very nice BBS in 2.5 passes !

Yours don’t have the “white Smoke”. I like the solid blue. I’ll have to wait for a great sale as I only want the handle.
Yeah....missing the clear white smoke trails which I wanted but for US$1, I don't mind it at all 😆
I have had this in the cart for a long while and didn't buy it even during the last 11.11
Try if you can to attend the Yaqi "LIVE" show sale and you may be lucky to get it for 50% less or even snatch it at US$1 like me.
The "LIVE" show is usually every Friday starting around 4pm Beijing time but they are unpredictable. Sometimes no show at all and no announcement. Best of luck k and stay safe.

Lumii_20210115_003657065.jpg

4/10

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Silver Star Stainless Steel
Brush: Fendrihan Black handle
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner Organic soap
Lather: Pre de Provence No. 63
Aftershave: Royal Copenhagen

Everything about this shave was 10 stars, except for the blade which made it a bloodbath. Too sharp, not smooth, very terrible cuts on my neck. Going forward, this blade can only be used with the mildest razor ever, and very careful slow strokes. I swung it kind of care-free with the Slim set at 4, the way I usually shave with the Slim/Fatboy. And it bit me real good. Total bloodbath. Not a top blade for me. The soap smells exceptional.

Blackland Blackbird Brass and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Brass (OC and SB)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (6)
Brush: Zenith Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)
Rating: 9.8/10

Just a great shave.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

African Blackwood Ralf Aust 5/8” Round point
Tabac soap puck
Simpson Classic 1 SiLVERTiP