What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Maggards Tuxedo
Razor: Karve D Plate
Blade: Polsilver SI (2nd use)
Soap: ZM The Navigator

Score: 8.5/10. Decent 2 pass (WTG and XTG) without new irritation (I had some lingering irritation from by last shave).

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller​
Two pass shave: WTG, AGT/XTG​
Razor: Buck Salient SR by Caleb Cooper - Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele - 24mm Mother​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​

Rating: 9.5/10 Very nice shave! No irritation! No nicks!

Last edited:
Razor: Blackland Blackbird sb
Blade: Treet Durasharp (2)
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Stirling Varen
Rating: 10

Another super close and irritation free shave. I always get two really good shaves from the Treet blades but find the third usually rougher so will change blades before that. Next up will be Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (Green). The sample of Stirling Varen smelled great and provided a thick, dense and protective lather.

Maggard slant w/ MR11 handle
Personna lab blue (1)
Razorock plissoft synthetic 24mm
Haslinger schafmilch (tallow)
Lucky tiger splash
Nice white sensitive balm

I give it a 7.5
First run with this razor and new lab blue. Full 3 pass with 2 days growth.
Angle a bit tricky, not much room for error. Either cuts or it doesn't, causing me to press sometimes on ATG. Had angle perfect WTG and XTG easy but flipping the razor the small window of angle gave me some issues and a bit of irritation.
I consider it more mild than my 37c (old before mold change) and a bit irritating finding the angle
Should have used it doesn't on weekend to take my time more. Only had a couple minutes before work.
But not bad. My face takes more punishment now than it did years ago when I started.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20201021_160822~2.jpg

Primary Razor: Personna "BBS-0"
(Colorado Razor Designs Green and Bronze Razor Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (6)
Touch-up Razor: Schick Type E
Blade: Schick (18 touch-up passes)
Brush: Colorado Razor Designs Green and Bronze Handle (Maggard 26mm 2-Band Fan)
Lather: Martin de Candre Natural
Post shave skin care: RazoRock Alum, Thayers Rose Skin Toner and Hyaluronic Acid + CeraVe mix
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Post Shave Skin Care:
20201010_131540~2.jpg

Standard WTG/ATG/XTG + touch-up pass. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Outstanding shave! :)

Thu 22 #7TabacOCtober#17 SOTD
Soap Tabac
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Gillette British RFB
Blade SuperMax Platinum Plus #2
Post & Shave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Super lather from the soap...what a pleasure...!!
Shave with razor paired with blade was not so good. The blade is tuggy...not sharp nor smooth. Managed to complete 3pass with a couple of weepers and dfs result. Luckily post & aftershave was good. Rating 8.5/10
20201021_201622.jpg

20201022_064321.jpg

Prep: Hot shower
Pre Shave: Grooming Dept unscented with menthol
Razor: Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Razorock Bruce
Soap: Berrister and Mann Waves
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann balm unscented + GD Rejuvinating serum + GD Hydrating Gel
Rating : 9/10

First use of the CG everyday razor. It was smooth and efficient. I sometimes lose the cutting angle and have to go over the spot again. But I have to say that the N075 is still my number 1. Still too early to judge though. Maybe a few more uses and a side by side between the CG everyday and N075 while do my review justice.

What you mean by "reset this knot" ? Thanks

Of course. What I mean is that I put this brush together from a Maggards knot and the generic handle you see. I had the knot initially set higher in the handle, making the loft of the bristles you see more ”floppy” and with less backbone. I then took the knot out and have tried it at different heights (resetting) to see if it performed more to my liking. It’s set a bit low right now after I drilled out more material from the handle bore. This gives it the properties I like, as this particular knot does not have the most inherently strong backbone. I do not worship at the alter of backbone, so it’s all about finding that balance.

IMG_1576.jpg

Razor: Gillette New Shorty.
Blade: Personna Med Prep, maiden voyage.
Brush: Omega Pig, 10066.
Sopa: Cella EEP (as it has been for a month, and will be until about January 15, when I guesstimate it's kicked).
A/S: Proraso Red splash.
EDT: Proraso Wood & Spice (my 4 year old daughter likes it, so I wear it near daily).
8/10.

NB. That mug is a good old Marvy hard rubberish, plasticish mug. Some day when my children (6 and 4) are older, and don't like to touch my things as much, I might upgrade to a breakable mug. For now, I have two of these green goblins, and I don't worry about anything breaking if my children get a little handsy, which they have been known to do.

Of course. What I mean is that I put this brush together from a Maggards knot and the generic handle you see. I had the knot initially set higher in the handle, making the loft of the bristles you see more ”floppy” and with less backbone. I then took the knot out and have tried it at different heights (resetting) to see if it performed more to my liking. It’s set a bit low right now after I drilled out more material from the handle bore. This gives it the properties I like, as this particular knot does not have the most inherently strong backbone. I do not worship at the alter of backbone, so it’s all about finding that balance.
Very interesting, didnt think it could be that ez for someone to reset a knot on the same handle.

Top Bottom