What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave:-
Imperial Leather

Bowl/Scuttle:- None
Br
ush:- Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- Palmolive Shave Stick
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Supermax
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Good razor and blade, nice shave 10/10

6a.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Hot water splashed on the old physiognomy.
A good lather of TOBS sandalwood soap with a Kent BK4. Worked up a little extra for the third pass.
The slicing of the whiskers by means of three passes with a PIR (2) in an EJ DE89. The "first shave blues" were but a memory as the blade was smooth and efficient, providing virtually no stubble feedback by the ATG.
Shower.
Splash of 4711 cologne as aftershave.

Smooth, comfortable, and back to 10/10. Happiness.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think the idea is to share your enjoyment of a nice shave setup. If you start spending more time photographing your shave stuff than actually shaving with it, it's time for a rethink.
Or you could be like me with one razor, one brush, two soaps (Is it wretched excess if one was a gift?), two very similar sorts of blades (Crystals and UK packaged PIRs), and a big old bottle of 4711. I have shared a photo (or several). I figure the thrill is gone.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel and Shave Secret
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock black #6
Razor: Muhle R41
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Soap: TBS maca root
Aftershave: alum, Thayers rose witch hazel, TBS maca root

3 pass: hot WTG, lukewarm XTG, cold ATG. Riding the cap.

A few little weepers. Zero alum burn. This cream is slick. This is about the same closeness as I get with a Feather #2.

No tugging: 5
No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.5
DFS+ (above the jawline, below looks good but feels rough)

9.75/10

PSX_20201020_080253.jpg

Razor: Gillette Brownie
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten
cartoon1603216702839.jpg

Or you could be like me with one razor, one brush, two soaps (Is it wretched excess if one was a gift?), two very similar sorts of blades (Crystals and UK packaged PIRs), and a big old bottle of 4711. I have shared a photo (or several). I figure the thrill is gone.
You sound like one of those people who really are saving money by shaving this way! I'm shocked!
:laugh:

Preshave: Phytomer Global Pur (didn't photo it)
Razor: H&S NO75
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: Elite Razor 26mm Tormaline High Mountain White (brand new)
Soap: A&E Club Baccara (new version in Kaizen 2) (brand new)
AS: A&E Club Baccara (brand new)

Smooth, very smooth, shave. No nicks, no irritations. At BBS or close to it everywhere. The new A&E base is great stuff -- I'm not sure whether it is better than the original "Kaizen" base; will be testing it over the next few days to see. I can say I love this new brush; the hand feel is absolutely spot on and the bristles (even on a first shave) were lovely. Shave as a whole was great. Rating: 9+
2020-10-21 - Club Baccara H&S & Elite.jpeg

Henson Al13 razor, purple
Proraso Green tube
Synthetic brush (from Etsy, no brand)
Bic Chrome Platinum blade (day 2)
7/10 this blade eats my face. Tried one in a vintage Tech, cuts. Weishi TTO, cuts. Henson, cuts. I can't find a home for these Bic blades. And I just bought 100 so I have a bunch to get rid of if I can't find a good combo of razor & blade.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
SOTD
Razor: Fatip Grande OC
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Brown Synthetic
Soap: MWF

Just because I'm quite stubborn, I decided to give MWF another try today after my sub par results previously. I made a couple of changes and had much better results.
1. I have hard water here, but that's never given me a problem with any other soaps or creams, but just to experiment I used purified bottled water.
2. I used my smooth stainless lather bowl instead of the Timeless bowl I usually use. I thought the ribbed Timeless bowl might be causing a liitle too much agitating of the MWF and causing the airy lather problems.
3. I tried the Yaqi brown synthetic brush because it has a little more back bone than others I have. (yes I did try my Omega 48 Boar brush, but with no improvement.)
So to make a long story short, I did finally achieve a nice creamy and slick lather with MWF. Yay!
Had a wonderful smooth BBS shave with the combination of gear I used today.
10 / 10

20201021_153105_kindlephoto-1195748.jpg

- Prep: Shower and Proraso White preshave balm
- Brush: Simpson T2 Synthetic
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 3)
- Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Russian (1)
- Soap: Stirling Arkadia
- Aftershave: Stirling Arkadia
- Post Shave: Alum Block and Neutrogena Hydroboost Facial Gel Creme with Hyaluronic Acid. (Good stuff for about $10 on Amazon)

I really need to stop trying for that perfect shave and going XTG on my 3rd pass. It WAS a perfectly smooth shave but with a few weepers.

I am not sure if I have tried the Russian Green blades previously but they are sharp and fairly smooth. Not my favourite Gillette, but they are a really good blade.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Top Bottom