What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Gillette 1974 U2 Trac II TwinJector
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9.5
PSX_20200925_081112.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday morning shave

Razor: Dovo
Brush: Boar
Soap: Lea
A very pleasant shave this morning. Lea soap provides abundant creamy lather and has a clean neutral fragrance. I’m leaning towards straightforward, mild, clean soapy scents lately. Not the same menthol blast I get from the cream however. Old Spice for Saturday!
F9A60F4E-6B53-4B87-BF04-48427C2D1045.jpeg

9/10

Slanturday shave
I went with all my favorite stuff for this shave because I needed a little boost.
Razor : Fatip OC Slant
Blade : Astra sp (3rd and last)
Brush : DS 26mm silvertip 2 band
Bowl : Turkish copper handmade
PS : Proraso red sandalwood
Soap : Reef point soap : Test depth 😍
Thayers witch Hazel
AS : B&M reserve waves
Chased BBS (dont!) And nicked myself at a few spots but very enjoyed the gear so 9/10 sounds fair
IMG_20200926_142305.jpg

The “Vintage Shave”. 8.5/10. First time with Clubman, and I just can’t get my face to like menthol no matter how hard I try. A few nicks, keep struggling with that on my right neck.

Pre: Shower, Proraso White
Brush: RR Disruptor
Cream: Proraso Green
Razor: 1969 Gillette Tech
Blade: Gillette Blue Stainless

1601152914144.jpeg

Brush: Elite Manchurian 24mm/ WD Luna
Soap: Grooming Department L’Avventura
Razor: Baili head/ SSC Stainless handle
Blade: Personna Med Prep

7/10: This razor gives so little feedback, I went too far in trying to annihilate every hair. Wonderful soap, though. So fast-lathering, great feel, and unique scent.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
SEptember 2020 #11
20200926_140120~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (2)
Brush: ShaveForge Celestial Blue handle (TNS 25mm Quarter Moon knot)
Lather: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Fragrance: Enforce Homme Eau de Cologne Spray (ParfumsBelcam version of Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce)

WTG, ATG, XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS with one nick, no cuts, weepers or irritation.

Nice Saturday shave! :)

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: Noxema facial cleanser and Shave Secret pre shave oil
Blade: Astra platinum #1
Razor: Muhle R41
Soap: Lather & Wood bay rum
Aftershave: Lather & Wood bay rum
3 pass: WTG XTG ATG

The new Astra seems sharper than yesterday's Feather #2 blade. I didn't have to tug the razor to get the Astra to cut through my stubble like I had to with the Feather. Maybe I had a dud Feather blade (I got it from some random variety pack on Amazon). Regardless, today's shave was noticeable closer and smoother and easier to achieve than yesterday's. Yesterday I was attempting a BBS (lots of skin stretching) but didn't achieve it with the Feather blade. Today I was *not* going for BBS (almost no skin stretching) with the Astra blade and (surprise) achieved an easier and closer shave. Lots of little weepers but no nicks no unexpected cuts (got an expected cut over a ingrown hair bump) no scrapes no razor burn no post-shave irritation.

👍

Razor: 1960 Gillette Fatboy; adjustable set to 5 today
Blade: Tiger Platinum, made by Czech Blades (shave #2)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger, brand new and its first use today
Soap: Williams
Rating: 9.9

This afternoon's shave on a day and a half of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, no burning or irritation, and no nicks or cuts. Excellent shave, but shave #2 with the Tiger Platinum indicated that the blade is starting to drag and tug a little bit already.

The new Berkeley brush performed just as well as my similar Simpson Commodore X2, but I had forgotten about the odor of a new badger brush. No big deal.

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower w/ a little conditioner on my whiskers​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8 SR​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White w/ Silvertip​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​

Rating: 8.7/10 Okay shave. No nicks. No irritation.
  • An even shave, but not as close as I was hoping for
  • This razor seemed to be dragging. This brings into question my stropping method. It was a very keen edge. One issue is I have too many SRs and DEs in my rotation and don't remember how I stropped it (I usually strop the razor shortly after using or the next day). I have been using no pressure lately when stropping.....
  • I am starting to question my use of hair conditioner on my face while showering. No doubt it softens the whiskers, but I wonder if it interferes with the protective characteristics (slickness) of the pre-shave and/or shaving soap.....
  • My SR journey continues! I have no irritation and no nicks, and yet I am still a somewhat disappointed in the end result. My expectations have increased!

Razor: Gillette New (LC)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Simpsons Fifty-Seven
Lather: Speick
Result: 10/10

Having had such a great shave with the Berkeley, and prowling the forum for other ideas, I got a Simpsons Fifty-Seven in Best. @BigJ loves this brush, and always mentions it, and since it matched my criteria for size (kinda sorta) I said what the heck and bought one. It's a little bigger than I thought it would be, but it holds water like no ones business and makes lather like a machine, having only face-lathered the first time this morning after doing an @ambrose on it. The Berkeley makes the lather quicker, but doesn't hold the exact amount of water required without having to keep adding it.

My Speick lather was the best it's ever been. It was slick, light, creamy and protective. I didn't feel the blade, even on my toughest areas. The blade just sailed right through 3 days of growth and I had a SAS after one pass. I naturally used the abundant leftover cream for pass two and it was just as good as the first. No minor tingling or sensitivity whatsoever. The badgers either make better lather than synthetics or the scrubby action lacking from the synthetics is doing something, I don't know what, and don't really care honestly. I have been taking the extra step of taking the razor apart after each shave and cleaning it (while the blade dries) and like the ritual aspect, in additional to having a razor with no film on it prior to shaving the next time. The brass is still looking good, we'll see how long it takes to start tarnishing.

Most excellent of shave days!

IMG_0062.jpeg

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Preshave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Proraso Green shaving cream
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Eighth shave with this new acquisition.

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very, very close and very, very pleasant shave.

Rating: 9.9/10

Razor: 1960 Gillette Fatboy; adjustable set to 5 today
Blade: Tiger Platinum, made by Czech Blades (shave #2)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger, brand new and its first use today
Soap: Williams
Rating: 9.9

This afternoon's shave on a day and a half of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, no burning or irritation, and no nicks or cuts. Excellent shave, but shave #2 with the Tiger Platinum indicated that the blade is starting to drag and tug a little bit already.

The new Berkeley brush performed just as well as my similar Simpson Commodore X2, but I had forgotten about the odor of a new badger brush. No big deal.

Every new badger I have has gotten the method described by @ambrose as can be found below. Does a lot to get most of the stink out and soften the hairs a bit. How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-to-break-in-a-brush-get-the-funk-out.139297/

Sun 27 Last Island SOTD
Soap Catie's Bubbles Ocean Grove
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Game Changer 0.84 SB
Blade Tatra Platinum 2nd
Aftershave
Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Nice lather...performance and scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was another excellent combo. Sharp, smooth and comfortable 3 pass without issues.Excellent post & aftershaves. Rating 9.8/10
20200926_064429.jpg

interesting razor!!!! happen to know what size it is ? 6/8?

thanks

camo
Sun 27 Last Island SOTD
Soap Catie's Bubbles Ocean Grove
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Game Changer 0.84 SB
Blade Tatra Platinum 2nd
Aftershave
Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Nice lather...performance and scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was another excellent combo. Sharp, smooth and comfortable 3 pass without issues.Excellent post & aftershaves. Rating 9.8/10
View attachment 1160605
No more beach pictures! I am jealous! 😀

Whimsical Weekend Whisker Wipin' 9/27/20

Razor: Filarmonica Doble Temple 13
Strop: TM HH
Brush: Paladin Beehive 28mm
Pre: Hot shower w/ Stirling pre & Barber Bond
Soap: Eufros Fougere

Rate: 9.5!

First time using a Fili and I have to say... The hype is real! Maybe it's because this edge is paper thin or maybe I just nailed honing. Maybe I was feeling the groove with some pep in muh step tonight.
Whatever it was, man that was a good shave! Like a squeegee for my face. Half point deducted for a weeper on my chin, I feel like that always happens there though.

2020-09-27-05-02-57.jpg

My blade is my instrument,
and sweet jazz is my melody.

Top Bottom