What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Gillette 1952 Tech Bakelite Handle
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: High Mountain White Badger 22mm
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli -Antica Ricetta
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann -Seville
Additional: Stirling Frost Drops
B48C11E1-E733-402F-A1CF-5970C784E02A.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Not Your Mama’s Ricotta!
First off...I’m not Italian so I don’t have any cultural bias here.
Lately, I’ve been exploring the world of imported Italian soaps that are not as mainstream as most American artisanal soaps, and have been quite taken with them. They seem to know how to deal with scent in a very dignified and classy manner. I’m saying “soaps”, but the majority of Italian lathers seem to be creams.

I don’t know how this one got named “Antica Ricetta”. I translated it into “Old Ricotta”. There is nothing cheesy about this soap. It smells of orange scent.
Head Notes: orange, bergamot
Heart Notes: bitter orange, orange blossom
Base Notes: lavender, thyme
The lather is amazingly thick and creamy with a slickness not often found in "creams", but the scent is absolutely intoxicating. In my opinion, B&M Seville takes a back seat to this soap. I know BigJ really loves Seville (I bought mine on his recommendation 👍), and think he would give this product three thumbs up.

Now that I’ve gotten myself way off topic it’s time to steer the boat back to my shave. Shark Week! I brought out my little Shark SS to play. He needed a little extra scraping time under my jawline, but the Bignoli cream offered lots of protection. Mmmmmmmmm...it smells so darn good. I wish they made aftershaves too.

Oh! I almost forgot. I’ve seen Screeby with those Stirling “Frost Drops” and added them to my last soap order. Just in time because the oppressive heat/humidity just came back today after a few days reprieve.

Stay Safe and Stay...Orange?

Last edited:
Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (4)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red tub
Rating: 10

Second shave ever with the MMOC. Morning shave on one and a half days of stubble. Easy BBS with WTG/XTG/ATG passes - no harshness, burning, nicks, or tugging.

The second shave with this MMOC was even better than the first. I had been considering picking up a Blackland Sabre until I tried the MMOC. The MMOC is that good.

The blades I have with the cardboard and stamping are from tryablade.com and they seem "different" then the ones I purchased from ConnaughtShaving. I guess I haven't been overly impressed with the tryablade blades.

And that is reason for asking again where people were picking their blades up at.

Hmmmmmm. I see your GEM(Personna) PTFE blade says "PTFE" on it. I have a bunch of Ted Pella GEM(Personna) PTFE blades from four different sources and none of them have "PTFE" printed on the cardboard sheath.

Razor: supply V2 se
Blade: chick injector
Brush: maggard 2 bar synthetic
Lather: Mike's natural lime
Rating: 9

DFS with 2 passes and pick-up. I'm finding that using milder razors I'm getting 95% of the closeness I did with more aggressive settings and without the irritation. I'm still a newbie, but really starting to enjoy the injectors.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

🦈 🦈 🦈 SHARK WEEK 🦈 🦈 🦈

Razor1: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade1: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Razor2: Timeless Bronze SB
Blade2: Shark Super Chrome
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200809_081245.jpg

🦈 🦈 🦈 SHARK WEEK 🦈 🦈 🦈

Razor1: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade1: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Razor2: Timeless Bronze SB
Blade2: Shark Super Chrome
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
View attachment 1137754
That’s a beautiful gold MM flying Wing.

Razor: Charcoal Goods Level-2
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: PAA The Starcraft
Lather: PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Pre shave: NA
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum AS
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers RosePetal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid / Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.0/10 BBS
Shave81020.jpg

This was my second straight shave with the CG Level-2 and the Voskhod razor blade. Much better shave this time around. I'm liking the Voskhod razor, right up there with my Gillette Nacet and Astra SP's.
3 pass WTG/ATG/ATG and just a bit of touch up under my chin. But still a better shave than last time. I did manage to get a nick on my neck and a just a bit of irritation. All in all this is a great razor for sure. Though I still feel it may be a tad too aggressive for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200810
20200810_072423~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Pushbutton
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (7)
Pre-shave: Williams Lectric Shave
Brush: Edwin Jagger (25mm STF)
Soap: TOBS Lavender
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Speick
Cologne: Cella Milano Eau de Lavande Cologne

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Wonderful Micromatic Monday shave. :)

Razor: Rex Ambassador
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (1)
Brush: Simpsons Emperor 3
Lather: Simpsons Luxurious Shaving Cream
Cologne: TOBS Sandalwood

Rating: 9/10, some blood and gore.

The Ambassador set on #4 was all blade, but was very smooth and close. I had two really good passes, feeling quite happy with myself. I pushed my luck for a third and final pass, I took 1 cut on the cut and 2 more on throat. These dried up quickly just with the witch hazel.
Blood in the water!

11-Aug shv.jpg

Pre-shave:- Wrights Coal Tar Soap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware pot

Brush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Own brew, grated Palmolive shave stick, KOS gel and Palmolive Shaving Cream

Razor/Blade:- Parker 96R and Zorrick blade (2)
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Not good, I keep trying with the Parker but just too aggressive/6/10

26.03.jpg

Cross-post inbound...
Razor: RazoRock Satin Hawk v2
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)
Cream: Gillette Pure
Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft

I was in a hurry, so only shaved two quick passes with a fresh blade. Smooth, close, and comfortable. I've been a casual user of AC format razors until recently, just a few shaves here and there, when I decided to go on an extended trial. I strongly suspect that once I'm completely comfortable with this razor, I may never use a DE razor on a regular basis again, and even my carts will become an occasional thing (which for me is saying something, I like carts).
The shave was a solid 8.5/10, verging on a 9.

Top Bottom