What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Getting an early start on SHARK WEEK!

Razor: Schick Krona Gold Bicentennial
Blade: Shark Super Chrome
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10 No Bites!!
20200807_081839.jpg

9/10 BBS, mildly irritating shave today, I will ditch the blade today.
Razor: Goodfellas’ Smile OC Gladio razor
Blade: Bic platinum (2)
Brush: 26mm DS cosmetic S/L brush
Pre-Shave: Shower and face wash
Lather: Stirling Spice soap
Aftershave: Royall Spyce All Purpose Lotion
/ Crown Shaving AS lotion
Additional Care: Thayer’s Lemon WH
IMG_20200807_213512.jpg

Camper shave this morning. Another wonderful surprise. I stuck with the 40's style Super Sport and a Feather blade. Proraso green preshave cooled the face and the Stirling soap lathered up just like it supposed to. Some WH and Stirling splash and EDT to match the soap and it comes together into a DFS. If this is what my everyday shave becomes now that I have been into this a year, I will be pleased with my decision to come to this wet shaving dark side.

8.8/10

KM

IMG_20200808_094812.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco tell your fellow countrymen that I salute them!

View attachment 1136725

I can't get enough of Proraso Blue's scent. Magnificent! It even inspired me to complete a successful stroke of the master (fool's pass) - my first.

Not shown: the iced double espresso (illy) that I drank, in between passes.

11/10 shave. Bellissimo!

Eccellente! Ultimamente mi sento ispirato dalla Vecchia Scuola, soprattutto da quella di Spagna e Portogallo. Ma Proraso è sempre Proraso!

P.S. Please, proceed with a translator if necessary!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday Afternoon Shave

Razor: Dovo Stainless
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Just lazing around basking in my post shave bliss and taking in the heady combo of Sandalwood and Spice. This TOBS is a really nice soap, lots of protective lather, smells fresh and leaves my skin feeling great. My SR technique is sub par, so I get sub par shaves. The scales on this razor don’t feel comfortable in my hand. I liked the look when I bought it years ago, but I don’t love the feel or balance now that I’ve been using it more. I always start out with good intentions but am somehow slightly dissatisfied with the end result. Regardless, a great way to head in to the afternoon!
0D535666-AE3B-4929-A168-3FEB494BEE77.jpeg

7/10

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200808
20200808_141603~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2 Gen 2
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M (25mm Mühle STF)
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling and Moisturizing
Cologne: Original Stetson

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2 Gen 2 is a Top Tier razor - certainly one of the best out there - that provides World Class results. The Personna Med Prep is an excellent match.

The MdC Fougère is an outstanding soap and easily one of my favorite soaps.

Similarly, the @Rudy Vey AS3M, with 25mm Mühle STF, is an awesome brush.

Each component of this combination provides superb results and can keep pace with elite company. Putting them together is pretty special, indeed.

A Top Tier shave all the way! :)

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Shower​
One Pass shave w/ touch up​
Razor: Parker SRW Shavette​
Blade: Gillette Nacet Halved (3)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar - 24 mm Plisson (First time using)​
Soap: Proraso Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin (First time using)​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 10/10 No nicks! No irritation! DFS!!!
  • Not BBS, but a very pleasant shave
  • First time using this brush
  • First time using this soap
proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the notes about the Kai blade increasing the blade exposure on the Super Speed for a closer shave. Question: if I already have Fatboy and Slim adjustables, is it worth it to buy one or more Super Speeds?
Good Question, you have adjustable razors and you might be able to mock the same shave as a SS. If you are at a antique store and the price is right and is in good condition I would buy one, they were before and after adjustable's came along and fellows still bought SS TTO models after the adjustable razors were introduced.
I can say one thing about super speeds built in the 1950's they were built very well IMO, I have a Gillette 1967 SS model and it is no where near as good a build as the 1950's model IMO.

chuckd said:
Thanks for the notes about the Kai blade increasing the blade exposure on the Super Speed for a closer shave. Question: if I already have Fatboy and Slim adjustables, is it worth it to buy one or more Super Speeds?
Good Question, you have adjustable razors and you might be able to mock the same shave as a SS. If you are at a antique store and the price is right and is in good condition I would buy one, they were before and after adjustable's came along and fellows still bought SS TTO models after the adjustable razors were introduced.
I can say one thing about super speeds built in the 1950's they were built very well IMO, I have a Gillette 1967 SS model and it is no where near as good a build as the 1950's model IMO.
You definitely need to buy all of them. Silver body, black body, red tip, blue tip, black tip, flairtip...etc. If you don’t, you’ll never know if you have the perfect Gillette for your face.

Last edited:
Thanks for the perspective. I suspected the same thing about the later SS's and Super Adjustables vs. earlier 60s/50s models after seeing photos.

Top Bottom