What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

9.5/10

1720607398490.png

GRUME 10 July 2024

Bobby B’s Daily 2-Pass Shave Report

1720610125893.jpeg

TODAY’ SHAVE AND CLEANUP:

Water
Razor(s)
Shaving Bic Chrome Platinum
Van der Hagen
Buffing
Prep
Soap
Noble Otter Brushes
Rainwater (small
container)
Prep: Cold Shave: Hot
KCG Shaving
VDH Buffing & tight spots​
#61 of 100
Shave #

1 of 10
Cube 2.0 Menthol
Left Timeless Blue Bowl​
Noble Otter Monarch
Right
Timeless Blue Bowl​

1 Prep
2 Lathering

• Comments:
  • Another nice shave this damp muggy morning. Thanks to Team Mobile, my phone / camera is back to normal.

Quality
Rating
Nicks
Weepers
Stubble
DFS+​
9.5​
0​
0​
Moderate​

Cleanup:
  • Rinsed & dried face
  • Dickinson’s Witch Hazel f/b buffing
  • Gentleman Jon alum block--usable piece
  • Old Spice f/b buffing
  • Deodorant: Mennen Speed Stick

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Sandelholz Rasierseife Beruhigend (tallow formula)
Brush
Morris & Forndran 2XL Finest
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper & Old Spice Shaving Mug
Razor
Henson AL+++
Blade
Personna Medical Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Art of Shaving ASB
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
The Feather/Feather combo was not giving me as close of a shave as I wanted so I switched razors today. The razor I used was the more aggressive Henson: Henson AL+++. The blade was a Personna Medical Prep blade. The shave was close and smooth. Today’s brush is another badger brush: the Morris and Forndran 2XL Finest. The brush produced a nice rich lather. This was the 58th use of the Haslinger soap. The soap is nearing the end of its use. Have a good day, folks.

Morning Shave - 07/10/24
Razor:
Muhle R41
Blade: Shark Platinum (3)
Soap: Arko
Brush: Omega 10065 Boar
Aftershave: Clubman Citrus Musk
Shave Comfort: 9/10 (Tightness)
Shave Quality: 8/10 (DFS)
Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Not sure what happened during this shave. It felt on the rough side, but I did not get any weepers and such, but maybe this blade in the R41 wears down quicker. I had no problems with longevity of this blade in a different razor. Anyways it is a presentable shave that is completely fine for the day's adventures.

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Proraso Red
Brush: Jequil & Corenveo 24mm
Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp SE (2)
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman
Rating: 9.5/10

I expected a great shave from these elements and got it ... almost. I did battle a little irritation along my neck again, which is hardly rare. Frankly, I probably should go a day without a shave but have had just enough reasons to shave (appointments, etc.) that I feel I should. Plus the fact, I love my morning shave. Today's was no exception.

proxy.php

Wilkinson Sword Wednesday

Rating: 9.5/10 Acceptable

NEW Classic Razor - was a bit rough at first - noticed that the plastic cap had some sharp edges.
So I sanded them down a bit with some fine grit paper and that solved the problem.
This is why we shave with METAL Razors. LOL

Wilkinson Sword Classic Razor
Wilkinson Sword Super Sword Edge Blade (1X)
Wilkinson Sword Shave Soap
Simpson Special Pure Badger Brush
PAA Good Vibrations Splash

Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave

IMG_0978-compressed.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Gillette Red Tip D3
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5)
Soap/Cream: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Large Damascus Textured Wet Shaving Lathering Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Disco Handle Muhle 25mm STF XL Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber AS
Rating: 9.5/10 An efficient 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, two weepers, no cuts or irritation. I was too aggressive on the touch up and created the weepers, but cured them quickly with an Alum Stick. Still a good shave.

SOTD: 07/10/2024

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp Super, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Ocean
Bowl: Cayuen Dark Nebula Bowl
Preshave: Hot Shower & L’Occitane Verbena Shower Gel Soap
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Puck
Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Aftershave
Balm: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Balm

Today’s shave was a prime example of how blade-tuning can massively impact the efficiency of a shave. Yesterday, I used a Wizamet in the R94 and after considerable buffing couldn’t get above a DFS. Today, the Perma-sharp amped up the efficiency two half-steps to a BBS-, which is incredible given how little irritation it delivered. The R94 is super fun to use due to the large head and thick handle which make it feel fast and easy to use. Aesthetically it’s also a beautiful design. BBS-.

Wishing you a peaceful day.
1720622670741.jpeg

Monday Morning Shave:

Pre-Shave
Warm shower. Face wash with Musgo Glyce Lime pre-shave soap
Soap/Cream
Art of Shaving Bergamot & Neroli Cream
Brush
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor
Gillette Red Tip
Blade
Gillette 7 O'clock (Yellow) (4)
Aftershave
Thayers Lemon WH, Nivea AS Balm Sensitive Skin, Floid Mentolado Vigoroso
Rating
8/10
Comments
The AofS Bergamot and Neroli cream is a nice warm weather option, and the cream made a nice lather.

Trying a different method for a three pass shave. East to West - which for me is mostly ATG. South to North - mostly XTG, though some is ATG. West to East - ATG on one side of the neck and XTG. The results were okay. I'm still evaluating.

No nicks.
No cuts.
No irritation.

Acceptable stubble on the neck and jawline.

Happy hump day!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wednesday, July 10th 2024

Razor : Razorock Lupo.72, Mfg 2021>, mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC, works very well on my beard type.
Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Perma-Sharp(2) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Cyril R Salter wild rose cream. Interesting scent of a garden roses + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Aqua" 24mm high mountain 3band silvertip. Excellent lather generator, pillow soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : witch hazel cleanse + Nivea Ever fresh + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my RR Lupo.72 razor with a Perma-sharp blade.
SOTD July 10 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Wednesday morning shave rated 8.5/10 using:
  • Razor: Merkur 34C
  • Blade: KAI Stainless (2)
  • Brush: Semogue Galahad Horse Hair
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Dutch Van der Lovett Grey
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240710_140427844.jpg
The second shave with the KAI in the 34C was nowhere near as good as the first. I've read in some forum posts about the durability of the KAI DE blades, but I've never shared that experience. They fall off rather quickly for me and don't stand out in any particular way for me (other than being slightly wider than a standard DE blade). The shave was acceptable, but slightly off on all measures. As is often the case with the 34C for me, I struggle to get a really close shave. Today, I would describe mine as just BBS-/DFS+ despite trying to get closer.

A couple years ago, I asked my Dad if he had any old razors that he could pass along to me because I vividly recall him using a Gillette Slim when I was a boy. I'm sure my fascination with all things Old Spice also stems from my childhood memory of his shaving gear. Unfortunately, he did not have any old gear because he long ago converted to using disposable cartridge razors. He did, however, send me this Merkur 34C as a gift. He peacefully passed away yesterday at age 86 after a brief battle with cancer. Even though this 34C has never really hit the mark for me, I'll keep it and use it every so often when I think of him like I did this morning. Sometimes the thought has to be enough.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Wednesday morning shave rated 8.5/10 using:
  • Razor: Merkur 34C
  • Blade: KAI Stainless (2)
  • Brush: Semogue Galahad Horse Hair
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Dutch Van der Lovett Grey
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
View attachment 1875689The second shave with the KAI in the 34C was nowhere near as good as the first. I've read in some forum posts about the durability of the KAI DE blades, but I've never shared that experience. They fall off rather quickly for me and don't stand out in any particular way for me (other than being slightly wider than a standard DE blade). The shave was acceptable, but slightly off on all measures. As is often the case with the 34C for me, I struggle to get a really close shave. Today, I would describe mine as just BBS-/DFS+ despite trying to get closer.

A couple years ago, I asked my Dad if he had any old razors that he could pass along to me because I vividly recall him using a Gillette Slim when I was a boy. I'm sure my fascination with all things Old Spice also stems from my childhood memory of his shaving gear. Unfortunately, he did not have any old gear because he long ago converted to using disposable cartridge razors. He did, however, send me this Merkur 34C as a gift. He peacefully passed away yesterday at age 86 after a brief battle with cancer. Even though this 34C has never really hit the mark for me, I'll keep it and use it every so often when I think of him like I did this morning. Sometimes the thought has to be enough.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Sorry for your loss. May the 34C bring you fond memories of your father for many years to come.

Top Bottom