What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Timeless Aluminum ALSB45
Blade: Gillette Permasharp Stainless (Green, India)
Brush: Semogue Torga C5
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
AS: Pinaud Clubman
Shave/Result: 3 pass WTG (X2) and ATG resulting in a BBS shave. Didn’t try for it, but everything came together today for a BBS without trying, without irritation, without even realizing it. 10/10!
My Semogue Torga C5 feels fantastic, it’s dense, and soft. The Torga C5 combined with MDC (my favorite soap) just makes for an enjoyable shave with great results. When the Torga C5 breaks in, it is going to be a tough brush to beat. Luckily for me, I have a nice Boar-D-room to keep up with it. Have a great day, Tim
B009CEA2-EE45-4E86-81C5-229A6B7957DF.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday July 6th 2020- Daily double with a guest razor with a theme from the Oldest to Newest Gem blade razors. It is amazing how times and products have changed in our Gem A.S.R world. I have a Gem Junior bar from 1907 ish and the new TNNSER 2020 3D printed razor leaving approximately 113 years of technology change and this morning I used the same blade in both razors so maybe that is the only Gem product that is sort of stable from it's minor changes over the last Century. 3D printed razors can change our design of razors but still give similar results regardless because the blade is part of what also makes the shave followed by most important personal hand technique. 1st pass WTG and the TNNSER did a nice job of that, followed up with XTG & ATG with the Gem Jr bar with my kind of shave CCS,DFS,BBS in my sweetspot with no drama.

Razor: Gem Junior Bar lather catcher- MFG 1907-11, great milder mid range razor with great audio feedback.
Razor: Tom White TNNSER 3D printed- MFG 2019> great upper mid range razor with great audio feedback also.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, excellent price & a predictable wear from blade that also gives back its smoothness through it's life cycle.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore - Excellent soap for scent & lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- very dense brush that whips up lather in a minute, great brush qualities.
Pre-shave:Shower, brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel for aftershave + Avon "True Gent" balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave in tandem with TNNSER 3D & Gem Junior bar with my favorite Gem Personna SS PTFE blade.

GEMonday July 6th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Omega Alum Stick
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200705_115524.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Stirling Pre-shave soap
Razor: The Famous Blackbird
Blade: GSB, 3rd shave
Soap: Shannon's Soaps Haymarket Vetiver
Brush: Paladin 28mm Moe
AS: SS's Haymarket Vetiver

9 out of 10

Notes: If you've been considering the purchase of Shannon's Soaps Haymarket Vetiver, stop considering and do eet. Especially if you're a Vetiver fan.

IMG_2098.jpg
IMG_2098.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor:Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Started with Feather, swapped out for Derby
Soap: Cella
Brush:Fendrihan Synthetic Back and White

Really enjoy lathering with Cella. Often reach for the synthetic brush lately, just a nice brush. The Feather on day two just didn’t feel right. I’m trying different blades to see what agrees with me, so swapping out and comparing seems like the thing to do. Usually apply a balm to my neck post shave and Nivea Men works for me. One pass on the neck, rarely smooth but a compromise for comfort. My technique is getting better, that helps in a big way.
8/10 A pleasant shave

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Razor:Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Started with Feather, swapped out for Derby
Soap: Cella
Brush:Fendrihan Synthetic Back and White

Really enjoy lathering with Cella. Often reach for the synthetic brush lately, just a nice brush. The Feather on day two just didn’t feel right. I’m trying different blades to see what agrees with me, so swapping out and comparing seems like the thing to do. Usually apply a balm to my neck post shave and Nivea Men works for me. One pass on the neck, rarely smooth but a compromise for comfort. My technique is getting better, that helps in a big way.
8/10 A pleasant shave

When I saw you swapped out a Feather and replaced it for a Derby, I had to read it all. Happy Shaves!

My Monday Morning Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on face
First Pass WTG
Partial Second Pass / Touch-up WTG/XTG
Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5,6)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger 24mm
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
Rating: 9.9/10 DFS, BBS!
  • The brush is not fully broken in yet, but works great
  • I usually have trouble with this razor as far as aggressiveness, but not today
proxy.php

Monday late night shave

Pre: Boots Facial wash & facial scrub
Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: King C Gillette (4)
Brush: Razorock Tuxedo Plissoft Snowman
Soap: D R Harris - Windsor
Post: Proraso Aftershave Lotion & Issey Miyake’s L’Eau D’Issey Pour Homme Aftershave Balm.

9.9/10

8A681436-411D-448A-9FF5-6DA65A8D7428.jpeg

Windsor soap is awesome. Pairs well with the Issey Miyake balm, which was in a gift set I had for Christmas a good few years ago.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200706
shave 20200706_141502_2.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher", @camoloc Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (7)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers, 24mm Maggard SHD Knot
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Black
Cologne: Al Rehab Silver

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Very much enjoyed shaving with the Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" (with @camoloc handle) last Micromatic Monday and decided to go for an encore. Happy to report that the 1914 delivered another outstanding shave! :thumbup:

A very pleasurable Micromatic Monday shave! :)

Ah this is wild, my first post!

Late Afternoon Shave

Pre:
Hot shower + Suavecito Premium Blends Pre-Shave
Razor: Suavecito
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Suavecito Resin Brush 20mm
Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood Shave Soap

Not going to lie, been shaving like this for a little over a month now and I’ve enjoyed the learning curve with everything involved. Finally got the hang of whipping up a good lather off the puck and I must say I could feel the difference when all was said and done.

Started out with the Feather blade and while I loved the sharpness of it, Astra has been more forgiving while I try and perfect my technique.

8/10 BBS aside from a nick off the ol’ Adam’s apple

556B40A2-B150-48B8-851B-86060089FC72.jpeg

Last edited:
48-hour beard

Late Thirties Gillette NEW SC; Rockwell blade, new

Stirling Bay Rum soap

EJ badger brush

Clubman SR aftershave, no-name skin lotion, Clubman powder

Shower; a little bay rum soap as a pre-shave; 2 passes on cheeks and lower lip, 3 on throat. A good smooth shave on all counts. The Rockwell blade is new to me, and I could definitely feel it and hear it cut the whiskers. Verdict: 9.2.

Top Bottom