What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: RR GC JAWS 84 / HD
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: Tabac
Result: 10/10

2 x XTG to the usual DFS greatness. Feather on it's second use felt sharper and a bit more dangerous than the first, but there was no blood or irritation, just mowed-down stubble that didn't stand a chance. I will make sure to never turn my back on a Feather! Going to let it ride for a third shave and see how it goes. As it stands, and assuming all Feathers perform like this one did, I will definitely buy a 100 pack for a blade that gives 2 great shaves per blade.

I have been using my Tabac soap in the dead of heat and humidity, and it does not leave my face oily at all, just soft, hydrated, and clean. And I even went for the the Tabac EDC spray to the chest once I was done to see how it fared on me in the nastiness.....and oh boy, I think it cooled me off a bit and ratcheted me up a notch! I feel like looking for some devotchkas looking for the old in-out in-out you know, maybe after some synthemesc or drencrom. Amazing shave day!

IMG_0296.jpeg

5B680259-F9E1-43F8-A77B-0B45D59362F7.jpeg
Razor- Frederick Reynolds, Late 1800s, purchased from, beautifully restored to a lusterous finish, and honed by Bobs Razors (this guy does top notch work!)
Soap- little sample of zartgefuehl
Brush- my hand and my stubble haha
I was getting ready to work on the house when the post Jeep pulled up and delivered this razor, so I didn’t have time for ritual, didn’t have time for prep. Knew I had to get to workin, but was too excited so I just face lathered with my hand and shaved, and it was still a superbly comfortable and close single pass this thing is a beauty! 150 years old and showed up like the day it was forged!

My Friday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on beard
First Pass WTG
Second Pass ATG/XTG
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollow
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted (‘rotten wood‘) Maple w/ Full Moon Synthetic 26mm
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender
After Shave: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Rating: 9.9/10 DFS! Yes, it is a skewed score - because my SR shaving is improving....
  • No irritation and this is on top of too much sun today. Very even shave, if not the closest.
  • First pass was excellent! One nick that I couldn't find with the styptic pencil when done.
  • Second pass was the first time for a non shavette SR! No nicks!
  • I got around my trouble areas really well
  • This brush continues to amaze me. As stated before, I can practically just wave it above the soap and it is ready for multi-passes with out reloading or re-wetting.
  • I am really loving this soap. The first time using was not a good experience (long story that I will include in a review of it.) The second use I fell in love with it and it continues to perform excellently!
  • I did a complete strop on the DOVO again. It seemed a little better, but not quite where I think it could be. Paste sharpening is next, after I practice on a couple of other SRs.
  • My SR journey continues. I've been learning SR shaving on a Parker shavette. (I have nothing but good things to say about the Parker.) The DOVO's length and height were a little bit of an issue when switching over. But now I am learning how to use the length to my advantage. Still learning....

View attachment 1121266Razor- Frederick Reynolds, Late 1800s, purchased from, beautifully restored to a lusterous finish, and honed by Bobs Razors (this guy does top notch work!)
Soap- little sample of zartgefuehl
Brush- my hand and my stubble haha
I was getting ready to work on the house when the post Jeep pulled up and delivered this razor, so I didn’t have time for ritual, didn’t have time for prep. Knew I had to get to workin, but was too excited so I just face lathered with my hand and shaved, and it was still a superbly comfortable and close single pass this thing is a beauty! 150 years old and showed up like the day it was forged!

Beautiful razor! Congrats!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor:Merkur 38C
Blade:Astra Superior Platinum
Brush:Ice Pure Badger
Soap:Mitchell’s Wool Fat

Struggled a bit here. Never got the lather where it needed to be, still feels like a guessing game sometimes. Not as slick or smooth as other shaves I’ve had. Think my Astra blade should have been punted after last shave, but I’m still figuring out usage and types of blades I like, so I shaved with it anyway. Looking more for consistency and comfort. On the upside it’s late afternoon and despite my morning soap debacle my skin still feels really good. Ill keep working at it.
6/10

Sat 4 July SOTD Happy 4th of July wishes to all USA B&B Members!!
Soap
RazoRock Mudder Focker
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor Gillette Fatboy Set 9 & 7
Blade Polsilver 6th use
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Scoop some almond size croap from tub and spread on wet face then start lathering with lovely brush. Very mild scent. Result was nice enough lather.
Shave with razor and blade is good. Comfortable and smooth. 3 multiple passes using setting 9 & 7 resulted in a good close shave between BBS to DFS.
Rating today 9/10 despite 1 unexpected tiny weeper because post shave feel on face was excellent!!
Is it the soap or Hyaluronic + Reuzel...? Hmmmm...
20200704_170529.jpg

Daily Shave: 04 July 2020

Fixed 4 For Any Month—Day-04

DSCF2162.JPG

Prep
: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Feather (Blade #1) Shave #4 2 passes + minimal buffing
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using distilled water and salsa bowl
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Post: Rinse face and dry. I then followed up with a Witch Hazel wipe down.
Rating: 9.5 / 10.0 DFS+ Again, a good shave to start the day. May mow the backyard. No plans to go anywhere due to the COVID-19 limits.

Wishing all USA forum members a safe an enjoyable 4th of July.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.0/10
Soap: Captain's Choice Venture
Brush: Fendrihan Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS .68 Scalloped head & base w/Blackland Dart handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (3)
AS: Captain's Choice Venture

I'm dealing with a little road rash on my lower neck and because of that I only did one pass over it where I would normally do more...but one pass is sufficient for me. Two passes is the norm and any more is asking for trouble...hence the irritation because the last couple of days I've really worked that area. This morning's surprise is the soap, CC Venture, which was brilliant. Super easy to whip up rich, thick lather that smelled great. I just ordered the Nor'Easter soap to match the splash I have for that scent. Dropping this a point for having to deal with the irritation...my fault. Blackland Dart handle is working out well, weight is down and it feels good in my hand.

Happy Shaves, Everyone! Happy 4th of July!

Kit 20200704.jpg

Happy July 4th, all!

Today: 48-hour beard

Vintage Hoffritz Slant razor; new Personna Lab Blue blade

Erasmic soap for a change from the usual Tabac

APShaveCo tuxedo synthetic brush

Clubman SR aftershave; no-name skin lotion; Clubman powder

Showered; lathered up, waited 3 minutes; 2 passes on cheeks and lower lip, 3 on throat. The Slant usually gives me the closest shave of all my razors, and thus it was: near BBS, smooth and comfortable. 9.8.

Sat shave sink.jpg

Saturday’s Shave

Today I used my Timeless SS .68 razor with a Personna Lab blade for the 9th shave. The soap is GD Magnolia. The brush is a Uomo da Vinci 293 Silvertip. I did my usual four-pass shave on my face and two-pass on my head. The aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH and Clubman. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent. A perfect shave. 10.

Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (2)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: VDH Luxury
Some nicks. Stopped before end of shave. No irritation. No itching.
Too many passes and too much blade buffing for my taste.
Pleasant shave.
I prefer a sharper blade.

Rating: 9/10

Wade and Butcher
Caswell-Massey ROS
24mm Graydog Boar
Miller Strop

20200704_090822.jpg

great new worked blade. ultra comfy to me. new soap landed yesterday again. love the scent. "masculine spice and amber scent derived from a Living Floral Rose at the New York Botanical Gardens." I'll say it again, these soaps have an awesome post shave to me!!!!

doesnt get any better.

Happy 4th All!!!!!!

10/10

camo

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sat, July4th 2020, Kind of different shaving day for myself, Got to use my first 3D printed razor(Amazing tolerences they can achieve). It holds a Gem blade one of favorites and it is of a design most have never seen a Gem razor blade in. It is one of Tom White creations that is of good design and he seems to have hit my sweet spot for the right amount of aggression and efficiency(Mid range razor). I usually test a new razor with a two pass shave with no pick ups to see how it handled the stubble(WTG+ATG no pickups) and then do my feel test followed by finishing the shave. Indicating a Mid range for sure and a light razor for those who enjoy them like myself.
I remember Gem Mfg was doing trial runs with proto type adjustable"s
1593874436207.png
to compete with all of the other MFG's and the TNNSER could of been a winner for them because you could just change the cap with a thicker one to become a mild razor that Gem Mfg did to its model ranges.(just thinking possibilities). Some call it TNNSER because Tom did not but a name on it. Anyways just a nice razor I will enjoy it for years, another Great creation Tom White has designed with other razors you have been tinkering & designing with.(Like the Enders style handle with a good feel in the hand also!)

Razor: TNNSER 3D printed model- MFG 2018 Aluminum proto type + 2019> 3D printed type.Nice mid range IMO.
Blade:Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) Excellent blade, Sharp, good longevity, smooths out the more you use , predictable.
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf 24 mm synthetic - great brush properties making and applying shave soap lather IMO.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- one of my RR favorites with excellent lather properties and Scent.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + afterwards pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch Hazel+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5 /10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 weeper =:a17:excellent close shave with Tom's No Name Single Edge Razor (TNNSER).:thumbsup:

SOTD, Sat, July 4th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom