What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razorock DE-1 with Gillette fat handle
Feather (2)
Semogue 1250 boar brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Proraso White tub
Dickinson's witch hazel + rose water combo
LEA 3-in-1 balm with mild alcohol and menthol

Close shave; DFS+

Pulled the DE-1 out of mothballs since we were talking about it recently on the forum.

Love the Semogue 1250 with wood handle. It feels like a mini version of the Semogue Owner's Club.

1593625441428.png

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
9/10

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Personna Med Prep (6)
Soap: Palmira
Brush: Vie Long Horse

Still getting excellent shaves from the R41. I've used it every day since last Wednesday save one when I did a Friday night shave with the R41 and shaved about 12 hours later on Saturday morning. I used a milder shaver fearing I might not have enough growth the the R41. I think that wasn't a warranted fear. I've sustained one tiny weeper that didn't bleed past a water rinse. Other than that, it's been a carefree experience.

I love the efficiency and the lack of any skin damage. I've not found a razor I like more. I never thought I would like this given my tendency toward mild razors or tightly clamped razors such as the Schone/Fatip. It does show me that those things are true of my tastes in general but that each razor is unique and you can't truly know until you try.

I don't think the R41 should have been my first razor, but certainly do wish it had been my second as it would have also been my last.

Happy shaves all.

Razor: RR GC JAWS 84 / HD
Blade: Feather (0)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: Tabac
Result: 10/10

First run with a Feather since an irritating experience in Dec 2018. During that time, I used it in an overly mild tech-style TTO that was just way too mild for my beard that required lots of pressure and multiple passes over the same spot. I was more successful with duller blades that allowed me to "dig in", so to speak. I have since moved on to more efficient razors that require zero pressure.

I cannot believe I used a Feather in an aggressive open comb razor today, and had one of the smoothest shaves I’ve ever had since I started wet-shaving. I was very apprehensive I was going to have issues, but really felt the need to retry the Feather since I've been using very sharp blades that STILL give me issues in the toughest of areas. I chose to use the Tabac since it has historically proven to really soften up my whiskers for a mow-down. Arko is slicker, but does not have this softening effect. I plan to try a Feather with Arko in the future and see how smooth it goes.

This blade is friggin’ sharp. In the few places I always struggle to get smooth, like my chin, jaw, and tide-pool neck area, there was barely any struggle and for the most part, not at all. My skin hates tugging. If a blade tugs, there’s going to be some redness and irritation, depending on how bad it was. The only place I had minor tugging was the tide-pool area and some parts of my chin, but ZERO irritation afterwards! I cannot say the same for my other blades, which although perfectly acceptable, fail to achieve the ease of shaving and minimized irritation I get from a Feather. This one at least, on the first shave at least! Although very minor, my sensitive areas always burn just a tad when I paint the second coat of lather on, but not today. Aside from the heightened fear of some danger around my mouth, this was just a smooth and effortless shave.

The Feather DE blade is simply a super-sharp tool to be wielded only when one has mastered their lathering and DE skills. I’d say to be cautious, but you are dragging a blade across your face, isn’t that a given? Amazing shave day!

IMG_0292.jpeg

Razor: Gillette 1939-1945 Canadian Tech
Blade: Feather New Hi Stainless (3)
Brush: Yaqi: Rainbow 26mm
Pre-Shave: Jack Black Beard Lube
Lather: Proraso: Green
Aftershave: Fine: American Blend
2989C96C-72BF-4F76-BA31-48DE5DCE8A05.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Its Just Too Hot and Sweaty...Nuthin’ Fancy Schmancy Today
A hot humid day and I don’t have AC. I usually shave in the morning, but I figured I was just going out for my morning hike so why bother. The sweat will be pouring off my face in minutes. I lay around the rest of the day reading and oozing until I finally decided to do something. I have lots of new soaps and razors I’ve never tried, but wasn’t in the mood.
Back to shaving 101. Simple and basic. My long ignored Proraso green with the cooling menthol and superbly simple and efficient pre war Canadian Tech. (It is Canada day today) The Tech can tame a feather blade into mewling kitten for a two pass BBS with no aftershock. Zero! Fabulous razor.
I also remembered why I hadn’t used my Yaqi rainbow synthetic in ages as it proceeded to cover my walls and ceiling with lather.
Wonderful back to basics shave. Topped it off with Fine American Blend AS.
Im back in my recliner on the balcony with my book and the heat and humidity...but I feel much better.
Happy Canada Day

Last edited:
ICE WATER SHAVE

sotd_7_1.jpg

Pre: Proraso Sensitive Skin pre-shave
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Razor: Merkur 37C Slant
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Cream: Creamo Classic - the pic is proraso red but I did a last-minute switch, thought the cool citrus smell of the Cremo was well suited for a cold shave (and I was right!)
Post: Dunked face in ice water, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Fine American Blend AS
Balm: I ended up not needing to use any!
RESULT: 10/10! DFS

Relative newbie here, still dialing in my shave and finding what's the right setup for me. Been dealing with some issues with stubborn lingering ingrown hairs and irritation on my neck even though I feel I have my beard map dialed in. So after some research, I wanted to give cold water shaving a try.

After a 5 mile run in 75% humidity this morning, plus spending the day at a car repair place and electing to take a walk around the neighborhood instead of waiting inside for two hours, I was feeling tired and hot. So I thought it would be a perfect time to go all out and do an ice water shave!

I soaked the brush in the ice water during a pre-shave cold shower, and then I bowl lathered in a separate ceramic bowl. Let me tell you...the feeling of a chilled, cool brush hitting my face was otherworldly. It was crisp, refreshing, bracing, and cool and I felt like I was really getting into my whiskers with the brush.

Another blade first for me - I'm going through my blade sample pack, and it was the first time with a Gillette platinum. I wanted to use something really smooth due to the cold water, and the Gillettes did not disappoint. My favorite blade up to now has been GSB, and I didn't notice a huge difference - just a smooth, close shave despite my whiskers being subjected a polar plunge.

And a final first - trying out AS samplers, used Fine American Blend for the first time. Really liking the classic scent that isn't too musky or spicy, I smelled notes of sandalwood and really enjoyed it after plunging my face in the ice bath after my clean-up pass. Only did two passes - WTG, and then a quick XTG/cleanup pass.

While using an ice bucket wouldn't be feasible for a day-to-day thing, I'm sold on cold water shaving and feel very little irritation. Will try again with sink-cold water tomorrow.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200701
20200701_155426~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Blackbird SB
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Bowl: Bamboo
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (really close to BBS) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Every time I use the Blackbird, I am reminded just how excellent it shaves!

Awesome razor and a wonderful shave! :)

My Wednesday Morning Shave
First Pass WTG
Second Pass ATG/XTG
Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1,2)
Pre-Pre-Shave: Suave Ocean Breeze hair conditioner in the shower
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender
After Shave: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Rating: 9.0/10
  • Wanted a quick decent shave as I was leaving for a day-trip.
  • First pass was excellent!
  • Second pass could have been better. I applied too much pressure, instead of letting the weight of the razor do the work, on my upper lip causing some nicks.
  • BBS!

Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: VDH Luxury
Post shave: Alum block

One nick (user error). No irritation. No itching.
Pleasant and smooth shave.
Sharp and smooth blade.

Rating: 9.4/10

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Merkur 38c, new Feather Black, Proraso green, Col Conk pure bristle circa 1990, Thayer’s Lavender Toner, Nivea Sensitive after shave balm. 6/10 stinging neck all day, really raw. I’m new to the products and razors I’m using. Figuring technique too, as I’ve had some great shaves too. I’ll keep at it!

Shave 20200701
View attachment 1120413
Razor: @Blackland Razors Blackbird SB
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Bowl: Bamboo
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (really close to BBS) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Every time I use the Blackbird, I am reminded just how excellent it shaves!

Awesome razor and a wonderful shave! :)
Liking the profile pic! Best drummer and lyricist. May he rest in peace.

Shaving the head and face

YAQI Beast

Astra

Green Proraso used as a stick without a brush only on wet beard and made with a wet hand

As: EPSILON

the first attempt of Yaqi beast with Astra, my positive impression I would call a razor medium aggressive and reasonably effective but this is only the first shave, a few more shaves with other razor blades and I will be able to assess the razor more accurately, although I can say it is decent. Proraso picked from the packaging and used as a whole stick ... recently I stopped using the brush only with my hand.
I estimate shaving as positive at 7.5.

IMG_20200702_071910~2.jpg

Thu 2nd SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Italian Orange
Bowl Turkish Copper
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Gillette British Tech
Blade Polsilver Super Iridium 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Nice lather from soap. Nice orangy scent, thick, creamy and reasonably slick. Very nice painting it with the brush.
Shave with razor paired with blade was excellent! So smooth yet sharpish. Can feel some blade. No tugs nor skips. Quite comfortable 3+1 multiple passes with no issues. Between BBS to DFS. Rating 9.5/10
20200702_071725.jpg

20200702_075329.jpg

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Rapira Stainless Steel (New Blade-very very smooth shave)
Brush: Proraso Boar Brush
Soap: Perfect Teatree Shaving Soap (South African product that I bought at Dischem, a local Health Department Store)

Post and Aftershave:
Alum Block (Minor Feeback)
Witchazel & Rosewater
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Old Spice Aftershave Splash
Nivea Intense Moisturizing Cream

WTG: 1 pass; XTG: 2 passes-both directions; ATG: 1 pass. Minor touch-up.

Baby Skin Soft, with zero weepers, nicks or cuts. Minor irritation.

Rating: 8/10

index (2).jpg

Razor: Razorock GC68-P
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: VDH Luxury
Post shave: Alum block

One nick from last shave. No irritation. No itching.
Very pleasant and smooth shave.
Sharp and smooth blade.

Rating: 9.5/10

Top Bottom