What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for men face wash
- Clinique for men face scrub
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Mitchell's Wool Fat bowl lathered

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Cap Cedrat Cream Gel After Shave
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Big Ben Super Stainless on shave 1
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 6.5/10
First run out for the sample Big Ben. Shave was WTG, XTG, XTG and then ATG on cheeks. Not the sharpest of blades and felt a dull and tuggy. No real irritation or feedback Alum block but not the closest of shaves. Debating giving it a second shave, but probably will just to be fair and see if it improves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, June 5 2020

Razor : Valet Auto Strop C1 Canadian Variant - Mfg 1920's, Gab has been altered to .007 thousands of a inch to smooth out the shaves. It is a lot more enjoyable for me to use with the smaller gap that was approx .011 before.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) Great blade.
Soap: Razorock What the Puck Lime- great soap with strong lime scent, good summer time soap IMO, triple milled.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft 24 mm - great brush and reminds me of a well broke in Boar brush.
Preshave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar Cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + Pickups.
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave+ a small dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: great shave with my Valet auto strop C1 model.

SE SOTD, Fri (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: RR GC 84 JAWS / HD
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: Arko
Result: 9/10

It's funny how things change. Roughly 6 months ago, I judged the GSB way too sharp, using a less aggressive razor no less. Now that I have my lathering skills down and am using an efficient beast of a razor, the GSB is now not quite sharp enough! The Wilkinson Sword and Gillette Nacet are the sharpest blades I've used to date and they handle the tougher parts of my beard with no drama. The GSB requires me to go over the same tough spots a few times, resulting in only very minor redness during the shave (without any irritation), yet my goal is perfection so had to mention it.

The Arko was super slick using a very minimal amount focused on my chin and a small radius surrounding it. I had plenty of lather for 2 nice coats and touch-ups. 10 minutes later I didn't even feel like I just shaved. A few nice blasts of Guerlain Vetiver to my neck and out the door I went. Great shave day!

IMG_0266.jpeg

Fri 5th SOTD
New Soap Rasozero Agrumella
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade Tiger Platinum 3rd
Post shave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid
New Aftershave
Reuzel Woods & Spice
Ok lather. Nice scent.
Shave with razor and blade still comfortable and smooth but can feel getting less. 3 multiple passes with DFS+ result.
8.5/10 rating
20200605_071716.jpg

20200605_075148.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Level 2
Blade: ASTRA SP
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Lather: TABAC
Aftershave: TABAC
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.0/10

2nd shave with the C Lv2. Much better this time around. I slowed things down a bit and shaved with short strokes paying attention to the angle and blade feel. 2 pass WTG/ATG and some cleanup. I still got a few weepers on my lower chin and neck and a bit of irritation on my neck. But not as the first shave. Find interesting that although it doesn't feel as aggressive as my Blackbird, the Blackbird gives me a smoother shave. All in all it still it was a very good shave. DFS+++
This razor is a keeper but I'm thinking maybe I should've gone with a Level 1 plate.

Razor: Schick L2 Stick Schick
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Ocean Tortoise Shell Pure Bristle
Pre-Shave: L'Occitane Cade Shave Oil
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200409_100140.jpg

Tried out some products, which have been on the ’to try’ list for a while today:

Prep: Shower; Baylis & Harding Black Pepper & Gingseng face wash.

Razor: Merkur 42c (new)

Blade: Gillette 7’o clock super stainless (1)

Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat (new)

Brush: Razorock Tuxedo Plissoft (new)

Post: Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Aftershave Lotion (new) & LEA Sensitive Aftershave Balm (complementary gift from Connaught)

569398AF-46B2-42A1-A9EE-6BCAD05590E6.jpeg

Last two shaves were with the King C Gillette so I’ve gone to the other extreme with the length of razor today.
Really enjoyed the shave though and am liking the Razorock snowman.

10/10.

Tried out some products, which have been on the ’to try’ list for a while today:

Prep: Shower; Baylis & Harding Black Pepper & Gingseng face wash.

Razor: Merkur 42c (new)

Blade: Gillette 7’o clock super stainless (1)

Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat (new)

Brush: Razorock Tuxedo Plissoft (new)

Post: Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Aftershave Lotion (new) & LEA Sensitive Aftershave Balm (complementary gift from Connaught)

View attachment 1109617
Last two shaves were with the King C Gillette so I’ve gone to the other extreme with the length of razor today.
Really enjoyed the shave though and am liking the Razorock snowman.

10/10.
Those 1904 razors give great shaves similar to my 1954 Tech. I gave mine to a neighbor.

Razor: RazoRock Game Changer JAWS 68 with HD handle
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 9.0

Shave #2 on two days of growth. Still very efficient with minimal irritation, but I have some minor (not visible but I can feel it) stubble on my chin six hours later... other than that, smooth, easy BBS. I'm still liking this razor, and let me reiterate that it is much gentler than it looks. I also like the deep knurling on the handle - it is tied for my favorite handle with the (now vintage) Weber Bulldog.

I have a Gem 1912 in the mail. Where would I find a treet carbon blade for it...or is the blade vintage too?
That's a great question! All I see are GEM SS PTFEs (which are great), GEM SS uncoated (which some warn against; I haven't tested), GEM Blue Star carbon steel (opinion is mixed; I haven't tried them), and various ASR industrial scraper blades not meant for shaving.

Top Bottom