What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Charcoal Goods Level 2
Blade: ASTRA SP
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Lather: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: Pinaud Classic
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
7.5/10

I received my CG razor a couple of days ago an was anticipating this shave. Loaded with a fresh ASTRA SP. 2 pass shave, WTG / ATG. Everything was going smooth until I reached my lower chin and neck. Left me with a quite a few nicks, weepers and irritation. It's a beautiful razor and the craftsmanship is top notch. But not really what I expected based on all I've read. I'll blame it on being the first use.
I'll use it for the next week or two and try different razor combinations to get acquainted with it before passing any judgment.
DFS

D08168AE-E92F-4B90-9C9A-96461C99A2B3.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro AC
Brush: Shavemac D3
Soap: SV Felce
After : Thayers + Nivea
WTG/XTG/XTG
Rating: 9/10

First shave with the Vector today and WOW. What a great little razor. I’m a bit out of practice after a month on a half on the SR’s. Two strokes and I was back. This little guy gets in and around everywhere with ease. A very close shave this morning. BBS in most areas. A little more irritation than I have been used to with the straights but nothing major. Should settle down quickly. Not bad for a first run. Not bad at all. This is a keeper.

Today was a blue themed shave. Check it out:
Razor: ATT SS Windsor H
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, 1st shave
Brush: Paladin Moe 28mm in Cobalt
Soap: PAA Synergy - blue label
AS: Fine Lavender Pour Homme - there's blue in the label. Sort of.

OK, so it's not a home run with the blue theme, but it's close enough for jazz. First shave with the Paladin Moe, and I am blown away by their knots (I have a 26mm in the PK-47, too). Nice shave, too. 9 out of 10. No nicks, no weepers, no errors. DFS. Hope you and yours are well.

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

Tatara Masamune OC
Gillette Nacet (5)
Simpsons Chubby 2 - Two Band Silvertip Badger
PAA Scuttle

Proraso White Pre Shave
Proraso White Shave Cream
Proraso White After Shave Balm
Thayers Witchhazel [emoji257]

3 pass shave (WTG,XTG,ATG) Touch ups around chin and neck as always.

The Tatara is so nimble and incredibly smooth. Never seen a razor hold the blade so tight and that is the reason the shave is top notch.

A great irritation free shave with no nicks and cuts.

9/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preshave: Shower + arko
Cream: Proraso red
Brush: Omega Pro 49 boar
Razor: Feather Popular
Blade: (2) Derby Extra
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Original Sport

7.5/10 first time trying a 2nd pass in a while, face is pretty damn smooth but nicked myself. Face doesn't feel too irritated but that Aqua Velva kicked like a mule.

Razor: 1940s Gillette SS
Blade: Sputnik (4)
Brush: Omega 40033
Soap: Proraso Green (OF)
After Shave: S70 & Stirling's Bay Rum AS Splash
- I know. A splash followed by a splash ?! Sometimes i break all the rules...
Rating: 9+

Repeat of yesterday's shave in that it went very well with no effort required for a DFS.
That blade, soap, & learned technique is so good i could do it my sleep with both hands tied
behind my back :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200603
20200603_164420~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: Zenith B34 28mm Boar
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock XXX
Cologne: G eàu Black EdT (Belcam version of Acqua Di Gio Profumo)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale also mates nicely with the Silver Star blade. Close, efficient, comfortable, smooth - truly a great razor. :thumbup:

As my fellow BOSC Inmates @Cal @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Raven Koenes state: "It really is that good". :)

Excellent shave!

Razor: Edwin Jagger 89
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2nd shave)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted Maple handle with Full Moon Synthetic
I swear that I just wet this brush, look at my shaving soap, and it picks up all the soap I need - plus some!​
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: Proraso Blue Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating: 7.9/10
My second shave with my EJDE89. I did a two pass shave and the end result was not very smooth. I think I must have been using the wrong angle. The ironic thing is that the last time I used it I thought it was a little more aggressive than I was expecting (maybe because it was a new blade?). The good news is, no nicks!​

2 days of beard tonight
Almost went 3 days I am beat it's finally dry enough to work in my garden . So I worked out there until 8:30 I decided to do a quick shave
Razor: Gem micromatic
Blade: CVS house brand
Brush: omega mixed midget
Soap: Arko stick
After shave: proraso green
1 pass and touch ups smooth as can be the little Omega brush is great for face lathering great shave my beans, onions, summer and winter squash are planted and it is going to rain tonight

Razor: RazoRock Game Changer JAWS 68 with HD handle
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 9.9

First time using the JAWS open comb, and the shave was much smoother and less scary than the open comb head with widely spaced teeth led me to expect. Two days of stubble were wiped away in no time with a WTG/XTG/ATG shave, and an easy BBS shave was the result. Eight hours later, it still feels like BBS. I felt the slightest irritation, so I deducted .1 point from the score.

I've been using vintage Gillette open comb DEs and vintage GEM SEs for most of the last month, so I wasn't used to shaving with a heavy stainless steel razor, but no worries. I did notice that the shave angle on the JAWS is much more of a "keep the handle close to parallel to the face" than the vintage razors. Is the close-to-parallel angle considered steep or shallow? I can't remember.

I had planned to use a Gillette Silver Blue from my Gillette New SC, but I discovered that it had started to rust in that razor, probably due to the New SC tightly clamping the blade flush with the baseplate, just like an Old Type, which keeps the blade from drying if it isn't removed from the razor between shaves. So I had to ditch the GSB blade and go with a new Astra, which is always a safe bet for a new razor.

I'm very happy with this RazoRock JAWS razor and pleasantly surprised with its smoothness and efficiency. I also ordered the .84-P baseplate, which I will try within the next week. The quality seems top notch, and it came with a leather storage case with a zipper. It is a mystery how RazoRock can make a stainless CNC razor in Canada and make a profit at such a low price point, but I will continue to give them my business!

Razor: Edwin Jagger 89
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2nd shave)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted Maple handle with Full Moon Synthetic
I swear that I just wet this brush, look at my shaving soap, and it picks up all the soap I need - plus some!​
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: Proraso Blue Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating: 7.9/10
My second shave with my EJDE89. I did a two pass shave and the end result was not very smooth. I think I must have been using the wrong angle. The ironic thing is that the last time I used it I thought it was a little more aggressive than I was expecting (maybe because it was a new blade?). The good news is, no nicks!​
Don't feel bad. I've been DE shaving for 7+ years and still can't get a very smooth shave from a DE 89.

Noble Otter Wednesday: (June 3, 2020)

Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts B9A
Razor: Gillette English Aristocrat Jr.
Blade: Gillette Platinum (10)
Lather: Noble Otter the Noir et Vanille
Post Shave: B&M Reserve Waves
Frag: Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache

The Gillette AJ is a lovely razor - a little more aggressive (blade feel) than the flat bottom tech but man oh man is it a smooth razor. I really enjoyed it and think it gives a closer shave than the Tech. The handle on this one makes for a nice, nimble razor. Paired with great NO products, this was a fine shave.

I'd rate today's shave: 8/10

proxy.php

Last edited:
Noble Otter Wednesday: (June 3, 2020)

Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts B9A
Razor: Gillette English Aristocrat Jr.
Blade: Gillette Platinum (10)
Lather: Noble Otter the Noir et Vanille
Post Shave: B&M Reserve Waves
Frag: Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache

The Gillette AJ is a lovely razor - a little more aggressive (blade feel) than the flat bottom tech but man oh man is it a smooth razor. I really enjoyed it and think it gives a closer shave than the Tech. The handle on this one makes for a nice, nimble razor. Paired with great NO products, this was a fine shave.

I'd rate today's shave: 8/10

proxy.php

nice setup there @K1986......

especially the brush!!!

camo

48-hour beard again this a.m.:

'56 Gillette Red Tip (freshly cleaned for the first of the month), new Personna Lab Blue blade

Stirling soap sample; I don't recall which one, but not the Bay Rum

APShaveCo synthetic brush

Stirling Sharp Dressed Man aftershave, generic skin lotion, and Clubman powder

This was a much better shave all around than when I did 24-hour beards earlier this week. Not that those were bad, but this was much smoother. I didn't bother with a hot towel this morning after the shower, but spread a little Trumper's Almond Cream on my wet face as a pre-shave. Maybe that contributed to the end result: darn near BBS.

Verdict: 10

Top Bottom