What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Saturday shave comb.jpg

Saturday’s Shave

Back to the Klar Seifen Rasiwerseife soap today. The brush was my Rooney 1/3 Silvertip. The razor was a Karve SS with the D plate. Today’s blade was a Polsilver Super Iridium. After a four-pass shave, I used Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by L’Occitane ASB. The fragrance was Jimmy Choo Man Intense. A perfect shave. 10/10.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat May30th, 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb or MMOC- Mfg 1930-41, the razor that helped Gem pull through during the dirty thirties. One of best razors Gem made IMO and was revolutionary for its time with the first Twist to open(TTO) ever.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) great all around blade, sharpness, longevity and smooths out during its life cycle nicely.
Soap: Tabac- great soap that lasts & lasts........triple milled with a mild floral scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm, excellent brush IMO.
Pre-shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavenderaftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic razor today.

SOTD, Sat May 30th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what happened. The blade felt tuggy and couldn't get my face smooth following the third pass. Just a ho hum not great shave. Clean up pass helped with lots of skin stretching. A couple hours post shave and Stirling still gives that great skin feeling.

7.1/10

KM

IMG_20200530_070113.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1957 C2 Red Tip Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Supply Silvertip Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200306_093020.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1940s SS armed with a Rapira (3)
Brush: Omega 40033 aka..."Mighty Midget"
Soap: Good question. White puck jammed into a vtg old spice mug.
Afterwards: Dash or three of Sup70 followed later by Stirling Lime splash
Rating: Smooth as an eight bar blues...

Nice shave this morning, a bit soon in the day for me but i found that old spice mug with a
nameless white shave puck and just had to find out if it was any good. Once i had lather on my face
my hand reached for the gilly and that was that. What choice did i have? The mystery soap lathered
up nicely, provided decent cushion and didnt smell like much of anything at all. That new omega lathers
like a beast; smells a bit like one to, and is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Razor: Gillette 1967 Black Handle SuperSpeed
Blade: Cloud Super Stainless (2)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Midnight and Two Pre-Shave Oil
Lather: Stirling Barbershop
Aftershave Splash: Stirling Barbershop
Cologne: Stirling Barbershop EDT
7B249AB7-2AC4-4AF4-B945-87B2762314CE.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9/10
If I Had To ...
I rarely shave everyday, but once in a while I like to try out certain blades and razors to see what kind of effect they’d have on my face if I was required to.
I could easily shave every single day with this black handle super speed with no qualms at all. I don’t even think it would particularly matter what blade was in it. I don’t know if there is any difference between this black handle model and the all silver superspeed beside the colour. I have one in the mail, so I should know soon.(I’m waiting for a black tip too)
It has been eight day’s since I had a cigarette

Last edited:
Razor: 1965 Schick Krona (metal tip)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic - German (9)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Peppermint & Rosemary
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 11/10 - This is fast becoming my go-to summer shave set-up. Although I have a couple of new soaps coming in the mail, so we shall see.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200530
shave 20200530.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (6 and retired)
Brush: OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Bowl: Bamboo
Post-shave: DSA Crystal Alum
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock XXX
Cologne: Belcam Primitive Man Eau de Toilette Spray (clone of Sauvage)

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with one very small weeper (gone with cold water and alum), no nicks, cuts or irritation.

Said it yesterday and it certainly still holds true: The Fatip Lo Storto Originale, sporting a Bolzano blade, defines 'gliding' across my face. Close, efficient, comfortable and ever so smooth. :001_wub:

I blame The 'BOSC Enablers-In-Chiefs' - @Raven Koenes @Cal @Chan Eil Whiskers - for (what is fast becoming) my addiction to the Fatip Lo Storto Originale. Yes, it is that good. :)

The RazoRock XXX Soap and AS are quite good. Beautiful and slick lather.

What more can I say about the Omega Jade? A World Class Brush! :001_wub:

Excellent shave!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Shave 20200530
View attachment 1107050
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (6 and retired)
Brush: OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Soap: RazoRock XXX
Bowl: Bamboo
Post-shave: DSA Crystal Alum
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock XXX
Cologne: Belcam Primitive Man Eau de Toilette Spray (clone of Sauvage)

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with one very small weeper (gone with cold water and alum), no nicks, cuts or irritation.

Said it yesterday and it certainly still holds true: The Fatip Lo Storto Originale, sporting a Bolzano blade, defines 'gliding' across my face. Close, efficient, comfortable and ever so smooth. :001_wub:

I blame The 'BOSC Enablers-In-Chiefs' - @Raven Koenes @Cal @Chan Eil Whiskers - for (what is fast becoming) my addiction to the Fatip Lo Storto Originale. Yes, it is that good. :)

The RazoRock XXX Soap and AS are quite good. Beautiful and slick lather.

What more can I say about the Omega Jade? A World Class Brush! :001_wub:

Excellent shave!
Oh yeah! :punk: P.S. I'm using a Fatip Lo Storto Gentile for the first time Monday. I can't wait to compare it to my Lo Storto OC. The Lo Storto OC is the bee's knees. I'm hoping the Lo Storto Gentile is at least the cat's pajamas. :w00t:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Oh yeah! :punk: P.S. I'm using a Fatip Lo Storto Gentile for the first time Monday. I can't wait to compare it to my Lo Storto OC. The Lo Storto OC is the bee's knees. I'm hoping the Lo Storto Gentile is at least the cat's pajamas. :w00t:

They are both excellent but there is something, Io non so che cosa, special about the Originale that brings it to the head of the class. :)

Preshave: None
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: DScosmetics tuxedo
Razor: Wilkinson sword classic
Blade: Wilkinson sword
Aftershave: Proraso green afterbalm

I revisited my Proraso shaving cream and after using TOBS and Stirling, I'm still amazed how an awesome product it is and how it holds up! I'm still figuring out how to go XTG, because my beard pattern is all over the place, and did something genius. I changed the angle while moving the razor, the end result, a brutal 2 cm cut on my left chin side. Still having lots of trouble with the ATG, seems like these blades or razor are not cleaning up well and ATG feels like plucking my hair, of course a bloodbath ensues that would make Tarantino jealous. But I did get a BBS, always do!

Personal score 10/10, if it's a BBS it's a 10
Objective score 2/10

IMG_3098.jpg

Rocnel 2019 Adjustable Series
Astra Superior Platinum (4)
Simpsons Chubby 2 - Two Band Silvertip Badger

Asylum Shave Works - English Collection Aloe
Thayers Witchhazel [emoji257]
Burke Avenue 3 in 1 Face Balm
PAA Scuttle

3 pass shave WTG,XTG,ATG with touch ups around the chin and neck. I got to say very few razors leave me as close of a shave on the first pass as this Rocnel does. I don’t even have it anywhere close to it’s really aggressive settings and it just cleans everything up and I have heavy beard growth. This razor lives up to its name and is an absolute beast.

I used an Astra blade that I felt I probably pushed it to its limit on its fourth use.

Very close comfortable irritation free shave. Had a few nicks but that I believe is from the blade that I pushed into one more use.

8.7/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
7/10 - due to Bic Chrome Platinum blade. First and last time for me with this blade. It's just not for me.
Razor/Blade: started with - EJ Chatsworth with a Bic Chrome Platinum (day 1)...took three swipes with this blade and knew I had to ditch it. Luckily I had a Crystal Platinum (day 1) loaded in the Fatip Nobile and I grabbed that and finished the shave.
Brush: Parker badger
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum.
A/S: Ogallala Bay Rum Double Strength.

Tough one...

Top Bottom