What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-Shave: Floids
Razor: Merkur Progress with a GSB
Soap: PAA Atomic Bay Rum
AS: Alum / PAA Atomic Bay Rum AS

Rating: 9.5/10

This was my first use of the Progress. WTG 2, ATG 2.5 face, 1.5 neck, touchup 1.5. BBS with very little irritation. Great shave, great scent. A dark night of the shave observation: There is no / little correlation between $$ spent on a razor and the shave rating.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday + GEMonday, some of the fellows are using ASR circa razors during Memorial day shaving tribute to the Huge sacrifices on US citizens and world wide citizens. 1st and 2nd pass I used the my 1912-15 Damaskeene (used in WW1)open comb followed by 3rd pass with my Micromatic 1945 (Peerless model) Clog Pruf. The regular Micromatic Clog Pruf (mfg 1949-43) & Damaskeene closed comb(mfg 1915-19) were razors that were used also by US soldiers on the battle fields & oceans during WW1 & WW2.
In Canada we take time to think about the fallen & wounded on Remembrance Day.(11th hr-11th day-11th month .)

1918-Damaskene-military-outfit.jpg

Razor: Gem Damaskeene open comb - Mfg 1912-15 getting very hard to find in the wild but they do come up.
Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless model -Mfg 1945 mid range razor that is well liked.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) great blade, very sharp,good longevity and does smooth out after a couple shaves.
Soap: Proraso red sandal wood.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic- great brush for lathering, splaying and scrubbing with some back bone.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Proraso red sandal wood aftershave lotion with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17:great shave with my Gem razors.

MMMonday May 25th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Gillette Nacet (4)
Brush - Omega Boar
Soap - Proraso Green (Old Form)
Aftershave - Stirling Soap Co. Lime AS (Menth)
Rate it about 9.0+ / DFS

Two passes and I do not know if it is all that menthy limey scent floating around my head or blade break in but this shave was better than yesterday. Time for a nap...

Razor: Above The Tie (ATT): M1
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (Germany)(1)
Brush: Yaqi: Barber Pole 30mm
Lather: Highland Springs Soap Co(HSSC): Barber Shop
Aftershave: HSSC: Barber Shop (Balm)
Aftershave Splash: HSSC Barbershop
E0C5B0AD-C6C7-4042-B42B-E9E5818D173B.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9/10
My First Non Smoking Shave.
(I decided to quit cold turkey yesterday after 50 years of heavy smoking) I’m pretty stressed.
A day at the barber shop.
I decided to go all Highland Springs Soap Co today. The mail girl arrived just before my shave with a new ATT M1 I acquired from another member. I found a brand new Wilkinson Sword blade laying on the balcony this morning. Don’t temp fate. I threw it in the ATT and it shaved like I had been using it all my life. The ATT M1 gave me a BBS without even trying. It felt like there was no blade in the razor. With my quitting smoking, this was a zombie auto shave. I was missing some of the joy a shave brings, especially one that involves new toys.

Razor: Gem Junior The Parade Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
L'Occitane Cedrat balm
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9.5
PSX_20200524_084526.jpg

View attachment 1104647
(I decided to quit cold turkey yesterday after 50 years of heavy smoking) I’m pretty stressed.
I decided to go all Highland Springs Soap Co today. The mail girl arrived just before my shave with a new ATT M1 I acquired from another member. I found a brand new Wilkinson Sword blade laying on the balcony this morning. Don’t temp fate. I threw it in the ATT and it shaved like I had been using it all my life. The ATT M1 gave me a BBS without even trying. It felt like there was no blade in the razor. With my quitting smoking, this was a zombie auto shave. I was missing some of the joy a shave brings, especially one that involves new toys.

Stay the course fellow wet shaver. I chewed for 14 years, quit for 14 months. Went back to it for I don't know 6 years then chewed herbal stuff for a year or two. Then woke up one day during this whole COVID work from home and said nope, no more. You can do it. Wait until you actually can sleep right again. It's glorious.

KM

Monday Morning Mixup:

Brush: Jefferson Magic Hour B8
Razor: Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Lather: Summer Break Soaps Field Day
Post Shave: CL 88 Chestnut Salve
Frag: Nuit D'lssey

This was an excellent shave. I had to rush this one a little bit as I had a meeting to get to: SBS soap lathers up quickly and makes a fantastic lather. I had no issues with the Tech gliding along my skin. The sweet grass scent of Field day went well 88 chestnut I thought. The scent was refreshing during the shave and 88 Chestnut hits again with bright citrus post-shave. Really good combination for a hot, humid day.

But then came the Nuit D'lssey - this has some citrus in the top notes but the 'darker' pepper and tobacco stick around> gave me a slight headache at the start too. It did not go well with the 88 Chestnut for me but I knew that it was not a good pairing. I just wanted to give this one a try.

Overall, loving the Tech - it's smooth and I'm getting the hang of it where I don't end up with scrapes. Really nice for a daily shaver (and quite the looker too)

proxy.php

Razor: Parker SRW Shavette
Blade: Shark Super Stainless Blade
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso (Red) Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter.
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted (‘rotten wood‘) Maple handle with Full Moon Synthetic 26mm knot.
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: Proraso (Blue) Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating: 9.2/10
Single pass shave with a little cleanup....​

Today's shave was:

Hot Shower
Haslinger Schafmilch (tallow version)
RazoRock 400 Butterscotch handle with noir knot
Creek Road Pottery lather bowl
RazoRock Game Changer Open Comb 0.84
Gillette Silver Blue
Osma alum
T.N. Dickinson's witch hazel
Murray & Lanman's Florida Water

Shave rating: 7 I nicked myself on my neck under my right ear and under my nose immediately below the nostril. The one under my ear bled a fair amount but some added alum and it stopped. Definitely a fair amount of irritation judging by the feedback from the alum all over my face. I have come to learn that the RR GC OC can cause irritation if one is not careful with pressure and technique. Otherwise, the shave was BBS. But I can do BB without all the blood and irritation.

View attachment 1104647
Good luck and stay strong!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Memorial Day - Always Remember! 🇺🇸

Micromatic Monday Shave 20200525
shave 20200525.jpg

Razor: GEM Jr. Parade, Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (8)
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm 2-BED Synthetic
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Outstanding Memorial Day shave!

Top Bottom