What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Date26.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE
146/365 (100%)
146/363 (99%)​
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
26/29 (94%)
26/31 (100%)​
Modern May
21/31 (84%)​

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaGillette Black (17)Omega Roma
SoapPassesPre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

First facial shave with the Athena. Bought for a special occasion and that occasion occurred yesterday. The blade gave such a great performance yesterday I just had to reward that with another shave. And again it performed marvellous.

I noticed that parts of my face were either in or approaching marble status telling me that when I get the angle right this will be an even more effective razor.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

Last edited:
RR Lupo .95 SB / RR Bulldog
Astra SP (3)
MdC Nature
RR 400 Plissoft 24/55
Aveeno lotion
Proraso Azur Lime cologne

2 passes WTG / minor touch-up
DFS+
10/10

After several days' safari into the SE jungle, tonight was a return to familiarity. It's no exaggeration at all to say the DE format fits me like an old pair of jeans. As well it should...I've only had about twenty years of practice. 😝

Despite having the .95 for only a fraction of that time, you'd never know it from the results. Equal parts smooth and efficient, it never fails me. This razor and I have developed a very good understanding: I feed it a steady diet of whiskers, and it produces magic. Simple.

Perhaps the most extraordinary thing about the Lupo is that the LOTH can tell I've used it by touch alone. That's quite a signature. Not to mention one heck of an endorsement. 🏆🥇😎👍

Score: 10/10
Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: Omega 63171
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood

One of those wonderfully perfect shaves 🙂

IMG_20230525_120529694~2.jpg

Date26.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE
146/365 (100%)
146/363 (99%)​
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
26/29 (94%)
26/31 (100%)​
Modern May
21/31 (84%)​

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaGillette Black (17)Omega Roma
SoapPassesPre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

First facial shave with the Athena. Bought for a special occasion and that occasion occurred yesterday. The blade gave such a great performance yesterday I just had to reward that with another shave. And again it performed marvellous.

I noticed that parts of my face were either in or approaching marble status telling me that when I get the angle right this will be an even more effective razor.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.
Congratulations Guido on two fronts…..The New Athena, and that “special occasion”! 😊👍💈

Rigarazor
Wald A1 Fan
HAGS Darkside
PAA Classico Bay Rum

1st HAGS lather and it was great. Looking forward to many great lathers from this soap maker.

My newest Rigarazor just sweeps the whiskers away…Sublime balance and smoothness.

One WTG/XTG pass and One ATG pass for a DFS result.

I’m discovering, as I dive deeper into the never ending, straight razor rabbit hole, that for me, it’s not about the shave results. It’s about the experience.

Lathering, honing, stropping, and being in the moment.

CCS, DFS, BBS, even a nick doesn’t matter…it’s the immersion into every second of the shave. Pretty darn cool!
IMG_8258.jpeg

GRUME May – Day 26
Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report
26 May 2023

1685097697318.jpeg
PERMANENT SHAVE GEAR
  • Prep: Cube 2.0 Menthol with cold rain water and its own Noble Otter brush
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #17 of 100 Shave #6
  • Razor: King C. Gillett
  • Soap: Goat’s Milk Bay Rum using nuked rain water
  • Brush: Noble Otter for lathering
  • Bowls: Timeless Blue bowls for Cube 2.0 prep & Lathering
  • A/S: Proraso Green (green travel bottle in stand by Draco)
Passes: WTG, ATG, buffing as required
Cleanup: Rinsed & dried face, Gentleman Jack alum block, Witch Hazel, A/S.
Ratings and Comments: 10.0 BBS Following a Cube 2.0 soak-in prep, this morning’s shave yielded no nicks or weepers, and moderate stubble. Planning to cleanup and re-organize my shave den's counter.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
GRUME May – Day 26
Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report
26 May 2023

View attachment 1660466
PERMANENT SHAVE GEAR
  • Prep: Cube 2.0 Menthol with cold rain water and its own Noble Otter brush
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #17 of 100 Shave #6
  • Razor: King C. Gillett
  • Soap: Goat’s Milk Bay Rum using nuked rain water
  • Brush: Noble Otter for lathering
  • Bowls: Timeless Blue bowls for Cube 2.0 prep & Lathering
  • A/S: Proraso Green (green travel bottle in stand by Draco)
Passes: WTG, ATG, buffing as required
Cleanup: Rinsed & dried face, Gentleman Jack alum block, Witch Hazel, A/S.
Ratings and Comments: 10.0 BBS Following a Cube 2.0 soak-in prep, this morning’s shave yielded no nicks or weepers, and moderate stubble. Planning to cleanup and re-organize my shave den's counter.
Happy Friday, sir!

Modern May '23

Cream: Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head - Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2 w/ Personna Lab
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

full

10/10

Very nice. Probably the best shave I've gotten from the CG Level 2. It's blade positive and I did get some irritation around the neck that was expected. For an every other day plus razor this would be great. I wouldn't want this razor for everyday shaving.

I pared it up with the new Karve handle instead of the magnum hammered handle I got with it. The handle is already starting to patina. I'm excited to see how that turns out.

Evening shave
Razor: RazoRock GC .84-P
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (6)
Soap: VDH (x+3)
Brush: unnamed synthetic brush
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Balm
Rating: 8/10, BBS
A bit of a raw feeling shave last night. Not sure if the blade is starting to give out on me or if the .84-P plate is a bit harsh for me. Might try the .68-P plate tonight and see what happens. Still close shave. Couple of small weepers.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Perhaps the most extraordinary thing about the Lupo is that the LOTH can tell I've used it by touch alone.

Dang, that’s the endorsement! Just when I thought you were becoming King Schick, the wolf came knocking at your door and ran away with your stubble.

@GNR , your straight razor progress has been incredibly impressive. That you’re simultaneously able to do that and boost Latvia’s GDP is even moreso.

Today's shave

Merkur 39c Sledgehammer with the Gillette 7 o'clock blade (black packet; second use)
GFT Sandalwood cream
Alum block
GFT Sandalwood skin food
WXA and WAX passes

Very happy with today's shave. The GFT Sandalwood cream (from it's nice metal tube) gave a really nice lather that wasn't too watery or gloopy/dry. Provided a really nice smooth layer for the shave

The Merkur 39c Sledgehammer made short work of my dense beard when combined with the said blade, which I am happy to say that it was a superb BBS shave!

The alum block and the matching skin food finished off the shave nicely.

Score

Blade sharpness 9/10
Blade comfort 10/10
Cream quality 10/10
Shave quality 10/10
Overall 10/10

Final thoughts.

An absolutely brilliant shave. Just to let you know in September my Sledgehammer will be 2 years old!

Jason.
A Merkur slant is indeed hard to beat when you want efficiency and ridiculously high levels of smoothness.

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Martin de Candre
Brush
Rudy Vey Custom with 28 mm Shavemac Knot
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL +++
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Ethos Skinfood
Fragrance
Mont Blanc
Rating
10/10
Comments
Third shave with the Henson AL+++ razor and Wizamet blade. This was another good shave. The Rudy Vey custom with a Shavemac knot did its usual fine job of making lather and felt great on my face. A perfect shave. Nearing the end of the Ethos Skinfood. Have a great day and weekend.

Top Bottom