What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Razorock GC68-P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Preshave with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol
Lather: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Shaving Soap with eucalyptus oil and menthol + Cremo Original

No issues.
Pleasant shave
Rating: 9.5/10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Wed April 8th 2020

Razor : Enders Speed shaver- MFG 1940's-55
Blade : Schick pro-line B-20 (2)with a modified Enders blade carrier.
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea"
Brush : Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm- a joy to use in the morning!
Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea for men balm.
Results :9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Great shave with a flash from the past!

SOTD,April 8th 2020 (2).jpg

Have a great shave!

Prep: Hot shower, Ach Brito Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Timeless .95 SS
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Soap: Martin de Candre Original
Brush: Thater Synthetic
Post-shave: Osma Tradition Alum Block, cold water rinse
Aftershave: Fine American Blend

Shaved too soon. Major irritation 6/10
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wed 8th SOTD
Preshave Oil
Cream
Suezbana Lemon&TeaTree
Bowl Kitchen Ceramic
Brush Yaqi 24mm 2BandSilvertip
Razor Gillette Tech
Blade Gillette Winner 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Clubman Whisky Wood
1st time using a homemade pre-shave oil. Lathering in the bowl produces a luxurious thick lather. Nice lavender scent. Shave with razor and blade pairing was excellent. Sharpish and smooth. Perhaps due to pre-shave...extra smooth. As result able to be more diagonal xtg on the neck.
3+1pass WTG, XTG & XTG/ATG + atg. No weepers nor irritation today. Ice water rinse followed by special Thayers.
BBS result and rating of 9.8/10
20200408_094857.jpg

20200408_115746.jpg

This combo has over the last couple months become the most reliable for me. There are Stirling soaps I have better shaves with then others. This one is one I do well with on a regular basis.

A few red spots. Left some stubble on one side below the jaw. I struggle to figure that out when I was getting very good shaves.

Anyways. Score will show the red spots. But 2.5 hours later face feels great. That will up the score a bit.

7.2/10

KM

IMG_20200408_062956.jpg

Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: "Frankenbrush" - Ever Ready 100T handle with generic synthetic knot
Soap: Stirling "Barbershop"
Aftershave: Stirling "Barbershop" and Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm
Rating: 6/10, and it's all my fault. All of these are reliable performers for me. My WTG pass was fine, but I rushed through my XTG pass and lost the angle. Razor burn on my neck and under my chin. The AS stung everywhere. Had to use the Nivea to calm things down. I know better - if I'm in a hurry I should use a closed comb (and mild) razor.

Thursdays Shave.jpg

Despite what the caption says, it's Wednesday's shave. Had to get up extra early this a.m. and was half asleep when I did the photo!

Today's shave is a return to Phoenix Shaving CK -6 based soap but with a Yaqi 28 mm synthetic brush. Lots of lather. The razor: a Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05 mm loaded with a Personna Medical Prep blade. The blade has been used for six shaves. The aftershave today is the usual Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Neutrogena Triple Protect. After a shower some Jimmy Choo Man Intense frag.

A perfect shave: 10/10.

Last edited:
Pre-shave: a quick face wash with Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, my usual preshave.
Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Gillette Platinum (blades received with a Heritage DE)
Brush: RazoRock 24mm synth with chrome handle (discontinued)
Soap: SRD West Indies Bay (discontinued)
A/S: a splash of Dickinson's witch hazel, as usual. then Superior 70
Rating: 10

The Gillette Platinum blades that I got with the Gillette Heritage razor work so good in my old 34G, that I've only used the Heritage razor three times in almost a month.

Soap: Williams
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Blade: Czech Blades Tiger platinum stainless (1)
Razor: Weber polished head, bulldog handle
Rating: 8.5

(Last night's shave) First shave with this brand of blade for me. Felt smooth but perhaps not sharp - not resistance but a scraping feel, but still cut the whiskers. No irritation.

Ten hours later, my face still feels smooth.

Points off shave rating due to a surprising, big nick on cheek.
(This is for yesterday's shave.) Exact same razor, brush, and soap as my previous post, so this is shave #2 with this Tiger stainless blade. I had a very difficult time getting a DFS: no irritation and no nicks, but it seemed that the blade just wouldn't cut the whiskers. I will try again with a different soap and/or brush, but I am disappointed in this blade so far, since it seemed to deteriorate for shave #2.

Rating: 7 (since still better results than a multi-blade cartridge)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200408

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Wednesday is The Veg Day! :)
20200408_135012~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: Shavemac 23mm Silvertip Badger
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Bowl: n/a (face lathered)
Razor: Gillette Thin Cap Old Type (Canada), Signature Chromed Brass Handle
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Splash: Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (very near BBS - without trying) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Gorgeous, comfortable shave! Everything felt wonderful, start to finish. :)

The Canadian Thin Cap Old Type feels slightly more efficient than the regular USA Old Type I've had in the rotation. Really nice addition to The Den.

Love The Veg and The Veg Will Love You! :)

YMMV

Top Bottom