What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20220526_054753.jpg

Soap: Sterling Triumph, Razor: RazoRock Lupo .95 Brush: Omega 48, Aftershave: Pinaud Bay Rum

26 May 2022

March Mania / GRUME Day-26
20220526_061447.jpg

Prep:
Harry’s Face Scrub, with long soak in
Razor:
King C. Gillette—Germany/China
Brush:
Gray Dog--Ohio
Lathering:
Using heated rain water.

Cattie’s Bubbles – Forked River, New Jersey
Bowl:
Fine Stoneware—New York
Blade: Astra SP Russia
2 blades in reserve
Blade #14
Shave #1
Passes:
1st WTG only
2nd (mix of ATG, XTG, WTG as required)
Cleanup:
1) Rinsed & dried face
2) Witch Hazel--application
3) Omega Alum stick--Italy
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman--Mexico
Rating(s):
10.0 BBS
For today:
Only token stubble, with no nicks or weepers.
Comment:
Had an enjoyable 1st shave with a new blade this morning.
Moderately busy day with minor chores an errands to do.
Posting somewhat later than normal this morning due to a temperamental computer. My USB port was available to download picture from phone. Solved by rebooting.

Pre: Aleppo Charcoal
Razor: Knockout
Blade: King C Gillette
Soap: La Toja cream
Brush: Proraso Omega

Rate: 10

Another great shave with the Knockout. The box makes quite a claim, but I think this must be one of the best DE razors ever made. Finding one is a rare occasion. I was only able to get mine because the seller misspelled it on the Bay.
The KCG did great, but got tired at the end. Still: two complete beard and headshaves is very good.
First use of the La Toja cream. I bought it to prevent shipping cost. Dirt cheap, but this is an excellent soap. Lather explodes within seconds, very slick, great glide and protection. Try this cream, it took me by surprise.
This Old Spice honours its name. Spicey sting and yet quite nourishing. I love it.

193B080F-7FA5-4674-8D0B-2237E7BA2297.jpeg

shave of DayBB.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
Ethos Unscented
Brush
B&B LE 2014 by Rudy Vey
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
ATT S-1
Blade
Personna Med Prep Blade
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Ethos Skinfood
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is my third shave with the ATT S-1 and the Personna Medical Prep blade. The brush today is my B&B LE by Rudy Vey. It has a Shavemac knot in it. Four passes on my face and neck with no touch-ups needed. A very close, smooth shave. This is the 76th use of my Ethos unscented soap. The lather was excellent. A perfect shave. Have a great day, folks.

F65E1438-68B3-4E30-83E5-8C6BB7C5FA82.jpeg

Razor: Roman Shaving ‘Augustus’ RR handle
Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Soap: Stubble Buster Burnish
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor
AS: Bootlegger Green Freeze
Shave 9.5/10 - very close but this razor has a touch more blade feel than I can appreciate. Fantastic results but even with a light touch I don’t enjoy the shave as much as I might. That said this particular shave was the best I’ve done with it so far and I think I can figure it out to improve my experience with it. The Stubble Buster provides a fantastic lather but with a subtle scent package. Enjoyable but I wish it had a tad more kick. I feel like I’m complaining too much for the actual results I got though since this is the closest shave I’ve gotten with this Polsilver in all the razors I’ve tried it in.

My new Merkur Progress 500 (short handle) arrived today. It was only £29.95 from eBay with free delivery. That made me suspicious that there was something a bit unusual, hopefully just that it was old stock. Indeed when I unboxed it I could see it has the earlier (<2016) alignment marks with the larger triangle, so it seems that it was made with the old tooling. At this price I'm not complaining; I figured if I really like it I might upgrade to a Mergress later, if not then it's no great loss.

I loaded up a new Astra SP and gave it it's first try. Blade alignment looked OK at the first attempt. I started at setting 1 and worked my way up to number 5 over four passes. Even at the lowest setting there's quite a bit of feedback (feel and sound). The head is slightly larger than I imagined, but smaller and lighter than the Futur. It seems less aggressive at 5 than the Futur, but still very efficient. I stopped after four experimental passes just to avoid irritating my face. My first impressions are positive, a DFS first shave; 9.5/10. I look forward to some more shaves with this razor.

Progres.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: 24K gold plated Brass Karve Overlander
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Soap: Arianna & Evans Barbiere Sophistacato
Bowl: Doug Smith Pottery Suribachi Shaving Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Eligant Emerald Handle with a 24mm SynBad knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass BBS shave with no touch ups. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent efficient Shave.

IMG_0180.jpeg

May 26th travel SOTD (16) the 18th day away from home; still in the suburbs of New York, which are quite lovely. Here's a pic from the park we recently visited:

PXL_20220523_182229128.jpg

Today's shave was a two pass affair that exceeded expectations and ended up a BBS, 10/10, with no mishaps:

Razor: RR Lupo AL
Blade: KCG (4)
Soap: ARKO stick- I must have hit the water soap ratio on the button today, a great lather
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 22mm two-band badger

Shave close and be well all!

PXL_20220526_140407217.jpg

Wolfman WR2 1.25,Nacet(3),MDC vetyver,Simpsons Eagle2 super,Thayers,Blue med,Nivea sensitive.3rd shave with the Wolfman 3 passes minimum pickups no cuts weepers or irritation.Lovely shave today messed my angles up a few times but it was still really smooth.I'm paying a lot more attention than i do with my Lupo but hopefully after a while i'll be able to relax a bit more.Still can't believe i've got a Wolfman can't stop picking it up and playing with it like i've never seen a razor before ha.(I won't be laughing when my credit card bill comes in)I'll give it a 9.5/10 today.
20220526_142228[1].jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, May 25th 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72, Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, 316 stainless constructed, excellent design for under the nose area, I get some of the best shaves with this DE razor and mostly carefree shaving + no blade tabs sticking out.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(1) excellent blade, sharp & smoooth + reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice mild scent + excellent lather qualities. Makes great ubber lather(mixed in remnants of previous soap.
Brush : Yaqi black marble 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Pinaud clubman with witch hazel.
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
SOTD May 25 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thursday, May26th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Katana SE- Mfg 2021> Excellent tame mid range 2nd use, I snip a DE blade in half and good for 2-3 shaves per side of blade. Interesting design for clamping the blade, I find the best method is place blade up against the blade posts on top cap and then place bottom base plate + finger clamp the 3parts and then snug up lightly with handle. Take a paper blade box to bump lightly the front blade edge to make sure alignment is good and finally tighten the handle and do a last visual check works well. Nice shave results I received this morning. If it feels overly aggressive the blade is not seated properly up against the posts IMO.
Blade : Gillette Astra (1) half blade, Sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Artic sky 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Katana SE with a Gillette Astra SP.
SOTD May 26 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I skip a couple of days, probably less than 36 hours, and have TEN (10) freakin' pages to try and read! So apologies to many of you for not getting a full read with retention from me. I will try to do better, lol.

First, Happy Belated Birthday, @nicked78!! :sorcerer: Sorry I missed the day, but hopefully you had as much cake as you wanted!! :happybday: 🎂

Second, today's shave.
No photo, but it really did happen!

Yates 921-M, Israeli Red (2), MWS Sensitive Skin, and a mixed badger/boar from AP Shave Co.
What a wonderful shave! The Yates, for me, gives an audible shave like an injector or GEM razor, making me glad that I am not shaving in the bedroom for fear of waking my wife up! There must be like an echo chamber or sound amplification system made by the lather slots and other machining to get so a full, rich sounding shave :letterk1:

Top Bottom