What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Art of Shaving Sandalwood & Cypress cologne
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200202_100412.jpg

Muhle R41 Twist
Personna Med Prep (4)
Proraso white pre-shave
Proraso white shave cream
Haircut & Shave 24mm synthetic brush
Timeless lather bowl
Aqua Velma Ice Sport aftershave

Rating: 9.8 out of 10

Beautiful and close shave, just a tiny smidge less comfortable than when I used Fine American Blend and my R96. That combo is slowly becoming my favorite.

1856C533-5089-4B82-B289-8FF16DABD261.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: WCS Honeycomb Blue Tuxedo Synthetic
Lather: Tabac
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Every Man Jack Face Lotion
Rating: 7

3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG, and a little touch-up. DFS ++
So I decided to use a Gillette Nacet for this shave because in my experience it always gives me smooth, comfortable shave............... Not this time. It was rough!
Had a couple of cuts, a few weepers and some irritation around my chin and neck.
On the other hand, the closest shave I've ever had.
Not giving up on this one yet.

Last edited:
Razor: RR GC JAWS / HD
Blade: Gillette Platinum (0)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3
Lather: MdC Fougère

Result: 9/10
2 x XTG to DFS. Shave held from perfection from 2 red bumps on my neck that are really annoying and won’t go away.

MdC is a fantastic soap that lathers in seconds flat with the most excellent Simpson Commodore X3. Lathering with this combo is relaxing and not work in any way whatsoever. The Fougère fragrance just keeps getting better and smells like nothing else out there. It’s earthy, sweet, and spicy all at the same time. Soap has barley moved and has been used almost 10 times already.

Gillette Platinum is a great blade but does require a very minor steeper change in attack angle compared to everything else I’ve used. Good shave day overall.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
SOTD
Razor: RR Game Changer .68-P
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Brush: RR 400 24mm plissoft
Bowl: Timeless Lather Bowl

Accidental BBS
Today I decided to revisit a blade I have not used in a long while, and not very often either, but wanted to try it in my newest razor to see how it would perform. The other Personna blades I occasionally use are the Personna Platinum Chrome blades, the ones that come in the white plastic tucks and blue cardboard insert with red and white lettering (UK packaging?). I find the Platinum Chrome Personna to be mediocre blades for me, but I bought 100 and I'm cheap so I use them.
However, I found the Personna Lab Blue (USA) blade to perform absolutely fantastic, both sharp and smooth, and accidentally achieved a wonderful and comfortable BBS shave, much nicer than platinum chrome personna blades.

The TOBS shaving cream also worked wonderful today, as I just spent a little more time making the lather in the bowl than usual. With just a small almond size amount of this cream and a little extra time working it and a little extra water, I got a bowl full of wonderful very creamy lather.

So with the combination of products I used today, it was like the planets were all aligned. 😀,
10 / 10
20200224_134658_kindlephoto-325680554.jpg

Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush: Razorock Monster
Lather: Soap Commander Fortitude
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Every Man Jack Face Lotion
Rating: 7.5

Third shave with the Dart. This time I loaded it with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword. Did only 2 passes WTG, ATG and a bit of touch up. DFS
Very slow shave paying attention to feedback, trying different angles and using almost no pressure.. It does get a little smoother with a steeper angle but there is still quite a bit of blade feel.
Managed a couple of weepers, no cuts and a little irritation around my neck.
I'm going to use a milder razor for the next week to give my skin some time to recover and I'll try the Dart again.

Razor: Gillette Super Speed (G-3 1986)
Blade: Lord Super Stainless (7)
Brush: Ever Ready 150
Soap: Van Der Hagen Scented Luxury Shave Soap
Aftershave: Pinaud Bay Rum
Rate: 9.5
Two pass shave WTG, ATG & touch up. DFS+/BBS :bayrum2: This Flare Tip is becoming one of my favorite razors. I've had it for a while but haven't used it very much. I believe it was the last year the Flare Tip was manufactured. I have never seen one with a later date code. I know Black Beauties were made till 1988. I do have another in almost as new condition but with some corrosion spots on the flare tip end. This one was my first Gillette Super Speed that I bought at an antique mall ten years ago, around the same time I bought this Ever Ready 150 brush. Shortly after buying it, I ordered a very nice condition L-4 1966 in nickel from the 'bay. It was more mild and It never grew on me. Since then, I have added around twenty Super Speeds of varying years. This 1986 black handle and a Red Tip are my favorites. It shaves very similar to my Red Tip.

Have some great shaves all :straight:

20200224_175502.jpg

Tue on the road SOTD,
Cream Edwin Jagger Lime Pomegranate
Bowl Red Nubs
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Parker SemiSlant
Blade Silver Star 4th
Postshave Alum + Thayers Rose
Aftershave Clubman GentsGin
Good lather. Nice scent.
Shave with razor and blade pairing was smooth and sharp. Good audible feedback. 3+1 pass. Wtg followed by xtg/atg followed by atg and last an atg pickup. Excellent shave session because no weepers nor irritation. No alum feedback either. Result was BBS 95% except under right jawline. Shave rating 9.5/10
20200225_071341.jpg

20200225_073305.jpg

U

uspiff

Cold water rinse.
Pearl L-55 Closed Comb.
Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade (2).
Biotique Bio Palmyra Shave Gel.
Park avenue brush.
Nature's Tattva witch hazel.
Biotique Wild Grass aftershave.

One pass + touch ups = DFS.

8/10.

20200225_063111-01.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200224

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Shave 20200224.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: Shavemac 26mm Synthetic FAN
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (5)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon w/Menthol
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG and XTG. Minor touch-up and buffing.

DFS++ (BBS except between my nose and my top lip). Zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Another outstanding shave! The Gem Featherweight provides consistent, comfortable and excellent results. :)

YMMV

Last edited:
Today I received my Rex Supply Envoy in the mail, so I tried it out. I've been using an AS-D2 or a Merkur 39c, so the first thing I noticed with the Envoy was substantially greater blade feel. I treated it with the utmost respect - NO pressure. A four pass, careful shave later and I got an irritation-free BBS. I really like this razor!

Pre-shave: Shower, Musgo Real Lime Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Rex Supply Envoy
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Soap: Cella
Brush: Parker's
Post-Shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block, Thayer's Aloe Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods

9/10

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom