What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor: Rich Leukroth
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: Stirling Varen

Marvelous!
E069E9E6-100F-47BC-8B32-2A1C225BB001.jpeg

tempImagezjVr4g.jpg

Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Lather: Bawston & Tucker Kowishto gel ... nope, Stirling Haverford.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (2)
Razor: Gillette New SC
Post: Speick Active splash and Duke Cannon Ice Cold balm; Haverford EdT

I borrowed this gel from a friend but it didn't work for me at all. It doesn't show you where you've shaved or haven't shaved, and its performance was nothing special. Halfway through the first pass with it, I whipped up some Haverford in a bowl and applied that right over the remaining gel.

My shave was a little harsh today due to the false start with an unfamiliar product, and probably also from overdoing it yesterday. I got a DFS+ result today with some irritation, and will have to take it easy tomorrow, I suspect. Rating: 7/10.

Today's shave

My usual razor with the Merkur blade and my shaving soap, plus the alum block and GFT skin food.

Today's shave was adequate and yes I had no nicks but the Merkur blade is sooooo middle of the road. Yes it shaves reasonably well. Yes its reasonably comfortable, but it just doesn't have the same 'vibe' as a Silver Star or Nacet, which feels much cleaner, smoother and less draggy. The Merkur blade felt a bit 'rubbery' in comparison in terms of feel and it wasn't as close as the other said blades, even after doing my 3 pass action (WXA and WAX). In fact I can feel some stubble returning already; something that doesn't happen with a Nacet or Silver Star.

It does have a small saving grace though. Based on what I have written above I would say the Merkur is a good blade for the absolute beginner.

I think a fair score would be 6.5/10

Jason.

Brush: Morris & Forndran 2XL, 2 Band Silvertip Finest Bulb, this bulb and Simpson’s 2 Band Silvertip are very much alike

Blade: Personna Israeli Red from Germany (4) and going strong, I have found no difference between the Israeli made and the German made, and the German made are a lot less expensive.

Soap: MDC Fougere, I find myself reaching for the MDC more often, it is the known consistancy of great lather.

Razor: Gillette 1956 B2 Redtip it is doing a great job substituting for the Wolfman

Post Shave: 4711, Hyaluronic Acid
F7D9E0D4-CEF7-4792-A1A3-8ED3AFAC790F.jpeg

SOTD

Rocnel sailor 2020 adjustable
Gillette nacet blade (2)
Zingari man No 1 set
Oumo titanium brush
Captains choice copper shaving bowl

Chose a special razor for a special brush.

As you can see, It whipped up a lovely lather. I'm used to synthetic knots so I need some practice with this one but it was nice.

The rocnel is a beautiful razor that performed a lovely 2 pass and pickups.

Setting 3 for 1st pass wtg. Dropping to 2 for the next and then 1 for atg initially and then going up to about 1.5 to get the bbs finish.

10/10
20211126_213625.jpg
20211126_210617.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Green
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Monster
Soap: Baume.be Cream
Aftershave: Henri&Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars

Rating: 9.5

This was my third shave with the DE89 this month after ignoring it for years -- I'm really impressed with this razor. It is not the most efficient razor out there, but it is so freaking gentle. If anyone gets irritated with a DE89 then they are probably using a rusty blade...or worse, they are using one of the blades that shipped with their Rockwell 6S.

.IMG_3191.JPG

Last edited:
Sat 27 SR SOTD
Soap Shannon's Soap Pineapple Banana
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor GD 208 on a pasted balsa edge
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Yaqi PinaColada Chillers Splash
A very nice scent from this soap. The lather is creamy, slick, and just wonderful!
Awesome shave with this cheap razor. The edge was very smooth and comfortable yet crisply sharp. Love the edge but not the scale...hahaha. 3.5passes for a satisfactory bbs/dfs/ccs finish without any issues. The aftershave smells great is truly chilling...wow...nice!! Rating 9.7/10!
20211127_125014.jpg

Saturday morning after storm "Arwen". The wind dropped overnight, but there's a bit of snow messing about trying to decide whether it'll settle on the wet ground. Feeling like winter this morning, but we had it easier than the coasts and further north.

Ralf Aust 5/8 square point straight razor
Omega 10019 boar brush
Proraso green
Marks and Spencer "Woodspice" (green) aftershave

The brush is still fairly new, but it's a good one and the smaller knot gives a different style to a fatter boar. Proraso green is one I always think of in the summer, but the whole eucalyptus and menthol thing seems to work in colder weather too. The green Woodspice is pine forests and all that, which seems to go quite well.

The Aust 5/8 pops up here every few weeks so I can ramble on about the whole quality feel of it and how it's just very nice. I'll refer the learned gentlemen to my previous answers.

Let's call it a "9", though I'm wavering about going higher.

Razor: Pearl Flexi (3.5 - 2 - 2)
Blade: Dorco Prime st-300
Prep: Cella red massagoed on wet stubble followed by hot towel
Soap: Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar
Aftershave: Proraso alum and Green balm

My Dorco's work very well in my T2, Soviet adjustable, flare tip, de 89 and slim twist but not so much in this Flexi. The drag was real.
That's unfortunate as I dropped out of a grume buying 100 of these puppies.
Rating 7/10.

april_2021-11-27-12-42-43-822.jpg

27 November 2021
20211127_060709.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice shower soap
Razor:
King C. Gillette—Germany / China
Lathering Cream:
Cella Green--Italy using tap water
Blade:
King C Gillette--Russia Shave #8
Lathering Brush:
Gray Dog—Ohio
Bowl:
Fine Stoneware
Passes:
WTG / ATG / very light buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Dickinson’s Witch Hazel rubdown f/b alum
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
10.0 BBS
Comments:
Once again: No significant stubble, nicks, or weepers.
Hope to watch several enjoyable college football games today.
With storm(s) due in, I hope to harvest some rain water for future shaves.

A combo I hadn't tried before, on a 36-hour beard:

Hoffritz vintage slant/Rapira blade (3)

Mix of Erasmic red-lid soap and TFS Sera soap

AP Shave Co. synth brush

Proraso Green AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

I washed up with Irish Spring soap, then applied baking soda-charged water (for slipperiness) to my face and throat, loaded the brush with the Erasmic/Sera mix, and face-lathered. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, ATG, with a little skin-stretch on the throat; pass 3 and cleanup, throat only, XTG, skin-stretching. Successfully smooth with no irritation or nicks. The Slant as usual planes me off very closely. Usually I employ Proraso Green cream (Italian) with the Hoffritz (German), but decided to switch it up after my great shave with the soap combo on Thursday afternoon.

Verdict: 9.7.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I think I've missed a few days.

Friday's shave

Pre-shave:
Shower
Razor: Pre-war Gillette fat-handle tech
Blade: Vintage Gillette Spoiler #1
Soap: Stirling Frankincense & Myrrh
Scuttle: Dirty Bird
Brush: Omega professional boar
Post shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Pinaud Clubman A/S

DFS 9.5+ / 10

I'm loving this fall/winter soap. The Gillette really sings with the spoiler in it.

shave.jpg

8446229C-7FEF-48F1-A6AE-57F034B90D13.jpeg

Soap: Cella
Brush: Sea Glass / Omega Pro
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor: Razorock Lupo .95
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)

Good morning! The Captain was giving away a couple bowls with minor cosmetic imperfections, and I was lucky enough to be selected! Came in the mail yesterday, and today is its first time out. It also came with a sample of Italia, which reminded me of a soap sample I have. Bowl lathered the Cella with my Omega knotted brush. What a nice bowl! Comfortable to hold, nice ridges in the bottom, looks stunning. Leisurely 3 pass shave with a fresh Platinum blade. DFS+ Finished with Italia which is just awesome.

9.8/10

Top Bottom