What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Proraso green soap
Omega boar brush
Gillette Fatboy razor
Dorco blade
witch hazel
Nivea balm
Bootlegger’s Arctic Lime Blast aftershave

3 pass shave, nice and smooth. I think Tabac tallow soap has spoiled me. My skin is moisturized and supple when I use it. Not quite so with other soaps, which is why I used the balm today.

Score: 8.5/10

9.5 for the BBS shave, but minus one point for the dry, tight skin that necessitated a balm.

Razor: Percy Nobleman DE/Muhle R106 clone
Blade: Dorco Prime ST-300 (6)
Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Aftershave: Proraso Green

I've been using this PN razor for the last two days. It's the DE razor that got me started and I was happy using it until I joined this forum.
Things escalated quickly. It took me less than 3 months to aqcuire 4 vintage razors and a Rockwell T2. But the shave I get from this razor brings me so much joy. It's smooth, it's simple and it was cheap to buy. I love it!
april_2021-10-19-10-40-08-098.jpg

Last edited:
Sunny Tuesday Shave:

Fatip OC Slant razor w/ wenge wood handle
Dorco Prime blade (2)
Semogue SOC finest badger brush w/ cherry handle
Mitchell's Wool Fat soap in ceramic dish
Dickinson's witch hazel
Prep unscented aftershave balm
Proraso Red aftershave lotion

Clean, close shave; DFS+

19 October 2021
20211019_062505.jpg

Prep:
Liquid Old Spice shower hair and body soap.
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb --China & Germany
Lathering Cream:
Proraso Green—Italy Using rain water
Blade:
Lord Platinum—Egypt Shave #2
Lathering Brush:
Omega—11126—Italy
Bowl:
Q-shave Scuttle
Passes:
WTG and ATG minimal post shave buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Dickinson’s Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
10.0 BBS
Comments:
Another near perfect shave this morning. Again, no significant stubble after the two passes, along with no nicks or weepers.

A 48-hour beard today:

Gillette NEW Short Comb/new Rapira blade)

La Toja soap in stick form

AP Shave Co. synth brush

Pre-shower, Proraso Green AS; post-shower, Assured lotion, Proraso Green again, and Clubman powder

No workout this morning, so I started with a face wash with Irish Spring soap, then applied the La Toja stick and face-lathered. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, ATG; pass 3 and cleanup, throat only, XTG. The Rapira, though new, feels a little harsh, like a blade with 2-3 shaves on it. However, I got no irritation or nicks.

Verdict: 9.3.

Absolutely fantastic shave! 10/10

-Blackland Tradere OC
-Rapira Super Stainless (2nd)
-Grizzly Bay HMW Badger
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Blue Samhain Cube
-PAA Sangre De Drago set
-PAA Sangre De Drago Starjelly
-PAA alum block

Super smooth shave with a razor that's contending for my all time favorite. This scent is also amazing. Idk how Douglas did it but he knocked it out of the park!
20211019_074631.jpg

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
GD Asinus
Brush
Shavemac 28 mm Syn
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Mergress XL
Blade
Lord Platinum
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
Time to retire the Father AS-D2 – Feather blade and go to a new combo: A Mergress XL with a Lord Platinum blade, which is a nice mix. The GD Asinus is showing some wear after 40 uses. The Shavemac Syn brush is a nice synthetic: one of my favorites. The shave was nice and effortless. A smooth BBS shave. Have a nice day, B&Bers.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Tuesday's shave

Pre-shave:
shower
Razor: Gilltte Fatboy, setting#4
Blade: Vintage Gillette Spoiler, shave #5
Soap: RR Santa Maria del Fiore
Brush: Omega Professional
Post shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Proraso A/S

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

So luxurious, this soap, with that brush. Modified Marco Method. Broke out the Dirty Bird scuttle for the first time this season, feeling kind of fall-ish. The only two vintage blades I've tried are the Schick Plus Plats, which I love, and these Spoilers, which are just as nice. Wonderful shave today. I'm even looking forward to work!

Well, maybe not looking forward to it a little less, maybe. :)

2021-10-19_Shave.jpg

Trafalgar T3 - "Ooh that's why I'm easy, I'm easy like Sunday morning..."

Haslinger Schafmilch

Brazilian Gillette Goodwill

GSB (3)

The T3 is a great brush. Even if the first shave after using the mighty Omega Jade Boar the day before feels a tad short of ideal.

Schafmilch: you know what they say: size doesn't matter. Give the little puck as much water as you think it will take... and then some. A hell of a soap!

Brazilian Goodwill. "What else?!", as George Clooney would say.

GSB. Very good blades but I really wanted to go back to the Feathers (that are being held for inspection by the Brazilian FDA, which is evaluating whether a Spieck stick, a bar of Mogno and a puck of Haslinger Aloe and Vera pose a significant threat to the sanitary barrier of the country).

Overall - 8, because I missed the boar and am fed up with the Brazilian FDA.

(Sorry, no picks today.)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, OCtober 19th, 2021 Valet Auto-stop C 1, MFG 1920's- .011 original gap clearance to a .007 blade gap Henry,Jacques...jpg Henry Gaisman who controlled Valet Auto-strop also controlled Gillette Mfg in the 1930's over a patent dispute, also a person who invented and had 100's of patents on his creations.

Razor: Valet auto-strop, C1 mode, Canadian variant- Mfg 1920's, modified blade gab from 11/1000 to 7/1000 of a inch to smooth the shave with the Gem Personna SS PTFE, great shaves, interesting and well built for its day, blade keepers are the weakest point of the whole razor. 100's of thousands of these razors where sold world wide.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood-nice bayrum scent with a some clove + good lather qualities. I load from bowl and apply drier and add a little water as needed seems to work.
Brush: Yaqi 22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, excellent scrubber + good lather painter. It is designed more for a good scrubber this model IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel, Ogallala Bayrum with Sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm.(scentless)
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Valet auto-strop with a coated gem blade.
SOTD, Oct 19, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gillette 1952 Tech Bakelite Handle
Blade: Personna Super Stainless - Electro-Coated (8)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli - Aghi Di Pino (Pine Needles)
Aftershave Splash: Clubman - Brandy Spice
Aftershave Balm: Wickham Soap Co - Club Cola
CCD97013-4939-4D70-B4AD-61B7E77FE698.jpeg

Shave Rating: 11/10
The Never Ending Story Personna Blade
I want to move on but this blade is getting better and better instead of the opposite. I’m not exaggerating. It’s like it was dipped into Ponce de Leon’s fountain of youth. If I had my druthers, this is the only blade I would ever use. Unfortunately, I only have four left and that’s it…for ever.
So far I’ve been using it strictly with Techs and SuperSpeeds. I’ll have to peruse my last shaves to see which ones I’ve missed. Oh yeah, I also had a great shave with a STAR DE.
The scent of the Bignoli pine needles is so refreshing...rich creamy lather… @Chard52142 could build a lather ice cream cone up to the ceiling with this stuff.
Even though I’ve had it a while, I’m really enjoying my Semogue 1305 more and more. Maybe my favorite boar at this time.
Not pictured, but applied some Wickham “Club Cola” balm at the last minute. Mmmmm! Smells like a cold can of sparkling Canada Dry ginger ale freshly popped open.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Genesis
Blade: GEM PTFE De Splined Only
Soap: Arianna & Evans Peach & Cognac
Bowl: PAA Blue Travel Scuttle
Brush: Semogue TAJ Resin Handle SOC Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with no touch ups. One small weeper caused by carlessness, no cuts or irritation. Excellent overall shave.

Tuesday- a really great shave, two passes plus some clean up, 10/10, BBS, as close as it gets for me, super smooth, just two small weepers on my lower neck- went a little too far with the clean up I guess; I'm back to testing the Maxwell June with different DE blades:

Pre-shave: nice long shower- it's great to be retired and have your mornings to dawdle
Razors: Maxwell June twinned DE- this razor is lots of fun, allowing me to revisit all my DE blades, and some new ones, in a modified format razor; I'm definitely getting the hang of it
Blade: Wizamet SI (1) new- very nice blade, shaved very close and seemed a bit smoother than the Nacet was the other day
Brush: Shavemac Beagle badger- a nice, dense, soft tipped brush
Soap: new- The Club, Low-Scent Skeletor- Kaizen 2 base- really nice fresh scent and a fine lather for an initial use
Post-shave: cold rinse, alum- felt it a bit on my neck where I got the weepers and a bit under my chin where I shaved a lot, cold rinse, then Floid The Genuine AS splash, which I guess is not really the genuine as the new one seems to actually be more genuine; oh well, this one is really good and I have a fairly full bottle, then a dab of Cerave, which I often do after an alum application

Shave well and enjoy the charity auction this week!

PXL_20211019_171846558.jpg

B50154C3-83FA-4F3E-8149-37D4282BFD09.jpeg
Shave of the Day, Tuesday, Oct. 19th, MMXXI.
Razor: Shaveology’s ‘Griffin’
Blade: Gillette Platinum (X3)
Brush: Executive Shaving Co. ‘Jock’ medium
Soap: L’Occitane Cade puck
Bowl: Antiga Barbearia do Bairro
Aftershave: Brut Original+ GBS alum block
Number of passes: 3: WTG, XTG, ATG
Rating: 8.5/10

The shave came out very smooth eventually, I just didn’t enjoy it too much; I didn’t like the soap. I never got used to soaps, especially packs. I usually shave with shaving balm/cream; I just wanted to give it a try…

20211018_083946.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1938 Senator
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. :thumbup:

Top Bottom