What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

2B326CA1-1735-4F77-841F-019092FAFE35.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: Sea Glass / Omega Pro Knot
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: Wizamet (2)

Good morning! So last week I was thinking about how I wanted another boar brush, and also about how I liked the 24mm nexus knot in the Solar Flare more than I did the 26mm in the Sea Glass handle. With a Pro 49 costing only $10, it seemed worth trying to steal the knot out of it. I was able to wiggle the black plastic cup that the knot is glued in out of the handle with a knife. From there, I used my dremel with a cut off wheel to carefully cut a slot in the black plastic without going further. A little prying, and the plastic cup pulled free. The rest was easy peasy. After setting the knot, I soaked the brush overnight and gave it its first go today. Even brand new, it was relatively soft, and was able to build a decent lather on my face. The brush ate a little lather and I had to go back to the tub for the last pass, but that was expected. I think this situation will work out well.

Both yesterday and today I’ve felt like this particular Wizamet blade is not particularly sharp. End results have been good, but more resistance ATG than I would have expected. Not sure if I’ll give it another go tomorrow, or start something different.

DFS, no mishaps. Finished with Captain’s Bay Rum and hyaluronic acid.

9/10

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - PAA Tube 2.0
Soap: Moon Soaps Old School 👍
Brush: Fine synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Gillette Rubie (4)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Black Ice Licorice scent) - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: PAA Atmotic splash (from a sample)

First day in a while that I was able to shave two days in a row...so, very little work for the razor and blade to do. Result is DFS/BBS, no blood. Moon Soaps makes a very good product...this has a sort of barbershop scent...very enjoyable to use and plenty of slickness. I find Moon Soaps to be thirsty...but adding a little water makes the lather come right out.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

A Kit 20211016.jpg

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap: DG Massacre of the Innocents soap
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf Brush
Razor & Blade: Razorock Wunderbar w/ Nacet blade
Post Shave: DG Massacre of the Innocents AS (for my face and neck)
Post Shave: PAA Mysterium Serum unscented balm (on my head)
Rating: 10

DG Massacre of the Innocents is still one of my favorites. It excels in all areas including scent.

OCtober XVI
Razor: GEM MicroMatic Open Comb (MMOC)
Blade: GEM PTFE (first use)
Brush: Omega Premium Jade Boar
Soap: VITOS EXTRA SUPER
lather: Face
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

The Shave: Three WTG passes for a CCS. Breaking in a new GEM PTFE blade with a MMOC requires a good lather and gentle touch.
I used VITOS lathered with my Jade Boar for the super slick and creamy lather.
I chose Skin Bracer to close out the shave because I love it, it reminds me of my Dad, and it pairs really nice with VITOS for a classic scented shave.
Results are exactly as expected, no cuts, weepers, or irritation. 9/10.
0F06907F-CB6D-44D6-BA3C-A7A9A36D290E.jpeg
AD3597E9-58A4-4273-AD94-641CB08F4997.jpeg
C44B4ECB-961E-4BE8-A0A3-006DE406D515.jpeg

View attachment 1346607

Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: Sea Glass / Omega Pro Knot
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: Wizamet (2)

Good morning! So last week I was thinking about how I wanted another boar brush, and also about how I liked the 24mm nexus knot in the Solar Flare more than I did the 26mm in the Sea Glass handle. With a Pro 49 costing only $10, it seemed worth trying to steal the knot out of it. I was able to wiggle the black plastic cup that the knot is glued in out of the handle with a knife. From there, I used my dremel with a cut off wheel to carefully cut a slot in the black plastic without going further. A little prying, and the plastic cup pulled free. The rest was easy peasy. After setting the knot, I soaked the brush overnight and gave it its first go today. Even brand new, it was relatively soft, and was able to build a decent lather on my face. The brush ate a little lather and I had to go back to the tub for the last pass, but that was expected. I think this situation will work out well.

Both yesterday and today I’ve felt like this particular Wizamet blade is not particularly sharp. End results have been good, but more resistance ATG than I would have expected. Not sure if I’ll give it another go tomorrow, or start something different.

DFS, no mishaps. Finished with Captain’s Bay Rum and hyaluronic acid.

9/10
I think the Sea Glass Handle with the Omega Pro Boar Knot looks awesome. I’m betting this brush is going to be amazing when broken in. Enjoy!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Today is the first hint of fall, and I think I just had my farewell summer citrus shave.
Preshave...hot water
Soap...Martin de Candre Agrumes
Brush...Kent BKB4 that has now displaced The Little Shedder
Razor...Above the Tie Windsor with mild copper plate
Blade...Gillette Silver Blue (21)
Aftershave...4711 cologne

image.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Saturday's shave

Pre-shave:
shower & Proraso
Razor: Gilltte Fatboy, setting#4
Blade: Vintage Gillette Spoiler, shave #2
Soap: Stirling Mutton tallow Varen (little sample container, from @Hannah's Dad
Brush: Ever Ready 100 reknotted with TGN Best Badger
Post shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Floid, The Original

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Very nice, comfortable shave. The after shave face feel on some of my artisan soaps--Stirling, Noble Otter, Barrister & Mann--is consistently wonderful. But this particular soap is outstanding in that department. The razor, blade, soap, A/S splash today ... magnificent experience.

2021-10-16_Shave.jpg

20211015_144418.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1912 ABC Pocket Edition #503, Silver floral pattern
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. :pipe:

Saturday shave, two passes plus some clean up, 9/10, DFS, close, smooth with no mishaps:

Pre-shave: nice hot shower
Razors: Maxwell June twinned DE blade- back to testing this razor
Blade: Lord Platinum (1)- when I went to the blade box this morning I saw this lone guy sitting in the bottom, it must be over 10 years old; shave was fine, the blade is okay not great, so far my favorite blades for this razor are KCG and the 7 O'clock Blue, with Med Prep next, and Astra following
Brush-Vulfix 374 Silvertip in faux horn; nice little brush with some loft, very soft
Soap: RR Black Label- made a fine lather today; these are super amazing soaps, but seem quite competent, and for the price nice, the scents on these are fine as well
Post-shave: cold rinse, alum- not much feel from it, then some TOBS Luxury Herbal ASB

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

PXL_20211016_174552923.jpg

B23AA809-30B2-48B1-AF7D-2731A67D60AD.jpeg

Razor: Shaveology Griffin 🇺🇸
Blade: Gillette Platinum 🇷🇺 (X1)
Brush: Executive Shaving Co. Medium Jock 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Bowl: Antiga Barbearia de Bairro 🇵🇹
Shaving cream: “Shaving Cream” 🇮🇱
Aftershave: Brut ‘Original’ 🇬🇧🇳🇱
Alum block: GBS 🇺🇸
Rating: 10/10

Not only Nottingham Forest won today, also the Gillette Platinum didn’t disappoint me! First use of this blade, and I’m very satisfied with the result. BBS.

Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Personna Blue Stainless Steel
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Cherry Wood
Lather: Pre de Provence No. 63
Postshave: the alum block
Aftershave Splash: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Score: 9.7/10

It was a superb Saturday morning shave. The Personna Blue blades are both sharp and smooth. I am really beginning to settle in with them. They work really well with my Merkur 34C.

CF7A2E05-9E94-4447-A994-AFCB33A45C21.jpeg

Razor: Schick Injector Type E3
Blade: Schick Injector (9)
Soap: Goodfellas' Smile Tallow N.1
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze 24mm Mew Brown synthetic
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Rating: 10/10

A great BBS shave to start my weekend!

Goodfellas' Smile Tallow N.1 is a good soap but the scent smells like some kind of cleaning solution. Going to give it a few more tries and see if it grows on me.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Arianna & Evans Peach & Cognac
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery G20 Scuttle
Brush: Semogue Cherry Wood Handle SOC Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.875/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS with two touch ups. Two weepers, no cuts or irritation. Weepers my fault, or result of new blade but cured with a quick pass of an Alum Stick.

Razor: Above the Tie classic R1 safety bar head, Atlas handle, vintage 2014 (discontinued in 2020, I think)
Blade: US Personna Lab Blue, new laser etched logo (2)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Tabac Original tallow, recently discontinued in 2021
Rating: 9.8

This afternoon's shave on < 3 days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, no burning or irritation, but 3 unexpected nicks due to the sharp Lab Blue blade, combined with the relatively heavy ATT razor. I have not used a razor this heavy in a long time, so I need to pay more attention when shaving with it. That said, this razor might be the closest shaver in my inventory.

Top Bottom