What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Prep: Hot water
Brush: Satin Tip synthetic
Soap: Long rifle 1776
Razor: Gillette Old type
Blade: Gillette Blue blade (first shave NOS)
A/S: Aqua Velva
Rating: 9.5 very close shave very pleased, just a lot of tiny nicks and a little razor burn

ZERO out of Ten

- Proraso Green pre-shave: 10/10
- Proraso Green shaving cream: 10/10
- Clubman Pinaud aftershave: 10/10
- Haircut & Shave 24mm synthetic brush: 10/10
- Muhle R41 Twist: 10/10
- BiC Chrome Platinum: -10,000/10

Rounded up score: 0/10

That BiC razor blade is the absolute worst thing I've ever put on my face (and I've been in some pretty seedy places in my life). I seriously considered stopping two strokes in, but I got through my first pass with this thing pulling hard at every whisker and removing nothing but the tips. Afterward, it felt like I hadn't shaved at all. I switched to a Feather and it felt like I was squeegeeing Reddi-Wip off of glass by comparison.

I'm extremely happy with all of my other equipment, and I could easily just buy a box of Feather blades and be done, but my curiosity has me working through about a dozen other blade samples first. I'm hugely disappointed in the BiC.
Whelp I'm not gonna try that brand out then

Use Shea butter stick as a pre shave.

AOS peppermint shave cream

Gillette 85 long adjustable

Feather Blade, second use (2 shaves on a head and three on face...yeah I put them to work!).

Dove hydration after shave balm.

Synthetic brush.

Shave 8.5/10.

It was a great shave as I was tired and wanted to sleep. From hanging with a friend. To training all day, I was glad to be home and shave while listening to podcasts. I was really happy with the shave as I got few nics (2), but from old wound areas and I wasn't paying attention to the ball of my head and the face when I tried shaving upward. Still high as it was my own fault but the peppermint made it so enjoyable!

Merkur 34C HD + Gillette 7O’Clock Sharpedge (2)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
Face lather with Razorock Plissoft Monster Synthetic & Proraso Green Shave Cream + small amount of Cremo Cooling
4 passes + touch ups to DFS+
No issues. No irritation.
Finished with Nivea Sensitive Cooling ASB
Pleasant shave
Rating: 9.5/10

Merkur 34C HD + Gillette 7O’Clock Sharpedge (2)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
Face lather with Razorock Plissoft Monster Synthetic & Proraso Green Shave Cream + small amount of Cremo Cooling
4 passes + touch ups to DFS+
No issues. No irritation.
Finished with Nivea Sensitive Cooling ASB
Pleasant shave
Rating: 9.5/10

Would you say you have oily or dry skin? How's the cream feel for you as I think on getting it for myself.

Omega 10066 boar
Tabac puck
Post-war Ball End Tech
Personna Lab Blue (7)
Pinaud Clubman

used a lighter touch and wetter lather than usual, and came away with a closer shave with less effort - go figure. :yesnod:

9.5/10

In stark contrast to yesterday morning's shave, I'm giving today's a 10/10.

Mühle R41
Personna Med Prep (I think I actually like this better than Feather)
Proraso White Pre-shave
Mr. Fine American Blend
Omega S-Brush
Old Spice

Extremely smooth after only two passes, and my face feels happy today!

Whelp I'm not gonna try that brand out then

Based on some negative reviews I found on Amazon, I suppose it's possible I got a bad blade (out of spec). Thanks to this morning's shave with a Personna Med Prep, however, I'm not interested in trying another BiC. The Med Prep may have just beaten out Feather as my favorite.

Hopefully, I didn’t create a “scent soup” today, but it’s Clubman Friday AND Fahrenheit Friday, and I decided to observe both because I just couldn’t choose between those two classics.

GD Preshave
TOBS Avocado
Simpson Chubby 2 Synth
Wolfman WR2 1.15
Polsilver SI
Pinaud Clubman AS
Proraso White ASB
Dior Fahrenheit EDT

Rating: 10/10

8.5/10
Razor: Mulhe R41
Blade: Gillette Nacet (0)
Brush: 24mm Yaqi Two band badger brush
Pre-Shave: Shower and face wash
Lather: Barrister & Mann Seville soap
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Seville AS Splash / Bodyshop Kistna AS balm
Additional Care: Thayers WH

Razor: Razorock GC.68
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Lather: Soap Commander Fortitude
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn
Rating: 9

4th straight time with the RR GC.68 and the Nacet blade. BBS again. I got the GC.68 last week and I'm really liking it. Works really well with the Nacet. Can't complain

Based on some negative reviews I found on Amazon, I suppose it's possible I got a bad blade (out of spec). Thanks to this morning's shave with a Personna Med Prep, however, I'm not interested in trying another BiC. The Med Prep may have just beaten out Feather as my favorite.
Whoa wait which personna is that? I saw one at a barber beauty supply store near me but they are being sold in 109 packs rather than samples. I thought on getting the Reds.

I used a Leaf w Persona reds 1-2, first use
Art Of shaving cream
Muhle synthetic
Had the worst head shave with a blade ever. 3 cuts, irritation galore, still sore all over scalp. A total night mare....will have to rest and return to either (Fatip OC, Karve OC, Fatboy with Nacets). Leaf butchered me....I never get cuts.

I used a Leaf w Persona reds 1-2, first use
Art Of shaving cream
Muhle synthetic
Had the worst head shave with a blade ever. 3 cuts, irritation galore, still sore all over scalp. A total night mare....will have to rest and return to either (Fatip OC, Karve OC, Fatboy with Nacets). Leaf butchered me....I never get cuts.

What's a leaf?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri-Jan 17- 2020

Razor : Oneblade Core Version 2- MFG 2019
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE modified (10)
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea"
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Razorock "The Dead Sea" aftershave with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results:9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation+ no weepers = :a17:

SOTD-Jan 17th 2020 (2).jpg

Have a great shave!

Whoa wait which personna is that? I saw one at a barber beauty supply store near me but they are being sold in 109 packs rather than samples. I thought on getting the Reds.

I got a sample from tryablade.com, and Amazon sells them in varying quantities. I also got a Red and a Lab Blue, but haven't tried them yet.

They are different, sold for "hospital use only". Made in Virginia. The med preps are very good blades, definitely worth trying.

med-prep-1.jpgmed-prep-2.jpg

Gillette Tech pre-war fat handle
Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Semogue 1250
Wholly Kaw Argumi in Estate sample soap
Dickinson's WH + Robert's rose water
Razorock American Barber splash

Nice, close shave; DFS+

Notes:
  • WK Argumi in Estate received as sample in a PIF. Almost a cream with a lot of skin conditioning ingredients.
  • Tech + GSB is a very smooth combo
  • No need for a balm

Razor: Supply Single Edge 2.0 Steel in matte black
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Ocean Tortoise Shell Pure Bristle
Pre-Shave: Neutrogena Shave Cream
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt and Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10