What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

C688D354-5F8B-4E65-BACB-27156A49F082.jpeg

Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: Wizamet (3)
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Aftershave: Chiseled Face Santa Paula

Good morning. Quick and comfortable shave. Face lathered MWF. The Stirling Badger made a very nice lather very quickly. I was impressed. Wizamet was very smooth. DFS finished with Santa Paula.

9.5/10

Great setup and photo--the brush matching the soap/splash set, and the scales matching the scored wood in the foreground!

I had a very close comfortable shave with a fresh Proline today in my Vector:

View attachment 1303575

Brush: Yaqi 26mm
Lather: Seville
Blade: Schick Proline (1)
Razor: Blackland Vector SB
Splash: Pinaud Clubman
Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold

I used distilled water today since Seville resists lathering with much volume sometimes. It still did, with this brush, anyway. That didn't stop me from getting an unusually close shave, without sacrificing any comfort at all. An impressive outing for this fresh blade. I did nick myself on my lower lip. BBS- results. Rating: 9.3/10.

Love your Clubman bottle!

29 July 2021
20210729_061615.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar soap
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Razorock Saturnia --Italy Until I use it up (tap water)
Brushes:
Omega 11126—Italy
Blade:
Astra SP Shave #2
Passes:
WTG and ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
9.5 DFS+
Comments:
Considerable improvement today. No significant stubble, or new nicks or weepers.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Coconut, Tallow Formula
Brush
Rudy Vey with Shavemac D01 two band knot
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Merkur 37C
Blade
Lord SC
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
Starting a different razor today: Merkur 37C Slant. I loaded it with a Lord SC for the first shave. Today’s brush, a Rudy Vey with a Shavemac Knot, had no problem making a great lather. A fine, BBS shave on my face, neck and head. Have a great day, B&Bers.

A much-needed shave on a 48-hour beard this morning:

Gillette '62 Slim/Personna Red blade (3)

Trumper's Almond Cream

Semogue boar brush

Pre-shower, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS; post-shower, Assured lotion, Fine Platinum, Clubman powder

No workout today. A quick face and throat wash with Dial hand soap, then I swirled the damp boar in the cream and face-lathered. The Slim was set to start at 5. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, setting 7, ATG -- but as I went I sensed that the setting was too much and irritation might ensue, so I stopped the razor down to 6 and finished. Some cleanup at 6, XTG. Very smooth and close to BBS everywhere, no irritation.

Verdict: 9.6.

Razor: Maggard V2, OC on Utopia Handle
Blade :Bolzano Superinox (2)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Moka Express, Two Band Finest Badger
Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl

Pre-shave: Pears Transparent Soap

Lather: Cyril R. Salter Fresh Mint Shaving Cream

Post: Dickinson's Witch Hazel with Peppermint and Tea Tree oils added,
Aspen Perfect Conditions Aftershave Splash

The Lather was thick and luxurious and the scent was great. I used to leave some of my glycerin based face soap on the face regularly and got away from it somehow. I think I wanted to rate the Shaving Soaps and creams on their own merit .
The Maggard V2 OC is actually a pretty mild razor. The Utopia handle is a $10. razor from Amazon. I threw the lousy junk head away and kept the handle that actually is worth $10. and more imo.
The post shaves were very good. BBS on all but the bottom line of the neck.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, July 29th 2021

Razor: Razorock SLOC, Mfg 2017> Excellent tame mid range, one of my favorites, carefree shave, great under the nose area.
Blade: Gillette Astra Superior stainless, smooth and sharp, great longevity.
Soap: Razorock XXX, nice clean scent, with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 24mm syn, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm + 2 drops of HA.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my RR SLOC with a Astra SS blade.
Brush collage July 29th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre: Hot shower/PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Razor: Hoffritz slant bar
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: Synthetic
Soap: Noble Otter - RAWR
2 Passes (WTG, ATG)

I picked up the Hoffritz slant bar at an antique shop this week and cleaned it. Found out that the Hoffritz razor was manufactured by Merkur for Hoffritz department stores in the US. The slant bar design provides really smooth results. Achieved a true BBS finish, and spent a minute feeling my face afterwards. RAWR soap is my top pick for scent and performance at the moment, and the PAA Fresco is bar none my favorite aftershave scent right now.

10/10

proxy.php

Last edited:
Razor: GEM MicroMatic Open Comb (MMOC)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Paladin Saint George Special Edition
Soap: Wickham Shamrock Tweed
Lather: Bowl/Face combo
Aftershave: Stirling Barbershop

The Shave: WTG/XTG/ATG passes. The MMOC doesn’t lie or coddle you, it lets you know when your technique is on and will remind you if your off.
Saint George and the Shamrock Tweed made a very slick lather in the bowl and then working it into my whiskers with this brush was awesome. Stirling Barbershop for the close, nice scent and face feels great with the Stirling aftershaves. Slight irritation on right side of chin line because I didn’t have the correct angle when starting my XTG pass. 8.75/10 due to my technical mistake.
C9E57926-8373-4AB6-BFA0-32883B1C67DB.jpeg
4CAA4393-D9F5-4488-972C-0D8CCB121C2C.jpeg
FAE334C6-1BC0-4A8A-9B18-721E023792B9.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Shave Cream Bourbon Vanilla scent (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber (silk tallow formula)
Brush: Barrister and Mann tuxedo synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: Barberry Coast Bay Rum splash

Pretty good shave considering how I feel today...dizzy and nauseous. Forced a shave to see if it would make me feel better. Not so much. Good shave nevertheless. Heading for the couch...

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20210729.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: MMBT with two dot plate
Blade: GEM PTFE (1)
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Bowl: Blue Stirling Bowl
Brush: Zenith 506A Manchurian Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Stick, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.95/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS shave. Two weepers (my fault), no cuts or irritation. I did two touch ups on my neck and think I used too much pressure causing weepers. Don't think the MMBT is going to be among my favorite GEM razors. At this point I am still liking the G-Bar as it seems to be the best all around razor.

View attachment 1303681

Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: Wizamet (3)
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Aftershave: Chiseled Face Santa Paula

Good morning. Quick and comfortable shave. Face lathered MWF. The Stirling Badger made a very nice lather very quickly. I was impressed. Wizamet was very smooth. DFS finished with Santa Paula.

9.5/10
This is the perfect set

Razor: Wilkinson - Pall Mall (7 Day Set) 1905
Blade: Wilkinson - “Special” Wedge Blade
Brush: Dscosmetic - Citrine/Black Handle 26mm Synthetic
Pre-Shave: CW Beggs & Sons - Face Wash & Scrub
Lather: Barrister & Mann - Hallows (Soft Heart)
Aftershave: Phoenix Artisan Lo-Haïku
4206D3C4-0E97-4E27-B0AC-87B07692B2D6.jpeg
0806A109-1B70-49ED-9360-7241768F6DDA.jpeg

Shave Rating: 5/10
I give up!
I spent hours honing this blade with six different stones in every sequence known to man and…meh.
It seemed not bad coming off the strop, so I went straight to the most difficult spots, under my nose and my chin. It seemed to be doing a better job right off the bat, but by the time I moved to my cheeks, it felt like the edge was gone. Even my last few terrible shaves cleaned me up okay, but all it seems to be doing today is polishing my neck whiskers.
I should have just stopped and grabbed another razor, but I felt so damn defeated I just quit. Right now I just want to put away all my stones and this razor. Is it me? I’m pretty experienced at this, but this razor has seven blades and I can’t seem to get a decent edge off of a single one of them. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Maybe I’ll try a GEM blade in it just to give me another part of the picture, or move on to my Wilkinson Empire to restore my confidence.

Thursday mid-morning shave, two-pass, plus some clean up under my jawline- verdict: 9/10, DFS-, no irritation, one small weeper under my chin. Picked up the Feather SR today, simply a delightful razor:

Pre-shave: shower and sample WSP Tobacco soap
Razors: Feather AC SR- the SR may be Feather's best AC effort yet
Feather Pro AC (5)- still sharp, yet I could feel just a bit of scrape, as opposed to a clean cut
Brush: Simpson Special in Pure- not bad, softening up some; it's just a bit small and holds just enough lather for a two-pass shave, but not more; I was curious to see what the entry-level Simpson could do
Soap: Canada Shave Soap unscented- this soap is really a great hard soap, nice lather, slickness, cushion, and was a great purchase, from the picture you can see how little soap I've consumed from this puck; if I keep using small brushes the puck will last for hundreds of shaves
Post-shave: cold rinse, Sanborn's Orange Blossom splash, nice bit of burn this morning

Have some great shaves gents!

PXL_20210729_170440061.jpg

Top Bottom