What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor: Geo. Wostenholm & Sons
Brush: Berkeley
Soap: Cella

A pleasant combination of things today!
A376672A-AE82-4791-A37C-94907806B6D1.jpeg

Haven't posted here in a while, as I've been on vacation. Travel kit was Black Handle SS, synthetic brush, Mike's Hingarian Lavender in shave stick, and some Speick in a travel container. Today's shave:

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Wilkinson Sword - German (8?)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 10/10 - First shave since returning home and it was a winner!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210727_140456_2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti Slim SB (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

That is a great brush that punches WAY above it’s weight class. That’s why I call mine Buster Douglas. It knocked me out with how good it is.

I had read that about it. I don’t have a ton of badger experience, I’ve primarily used inexpensive omega boars the past 5 years. I have a Golden Nib Silvertip that is fine, but doesn’t really do anything one way or another, and briefly had a Parker pure badger that hurt my face to use. But the Stirling seems to be much much nicer, and was easier for me to justify than dropping $100 or more on a high end badger not knowing if I was gonna like it.

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, XTG/ATG​
Razor: Merkur Progress Long Handle 510 #3​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: Rudy Vey Design Handle w/ Synbad Synthetic​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Unscented​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
9.5/10 DFS!

I had read that about it. I don’t have a ton of badger experience, I’ve primarily used inexpensive omega boars the past 5 years. I have a Golden Nib Silvertip that is fine, but doesn’t really do anything one way or another, and briefly had a Parker pure badger that hurt my face to use. But the Stirling seems to be much much nicer, and was easier for me to justify than dropping $100 or more on a high end badger not knowing if I was gonna like it.
A stable of Omega Boars and a Stirling Finest Badger is a great bevy of brushes. I was a synthetic guy first, then synthetic and boar and finally added badgers. It took me about a decade to pony up the funds for a Badger brush because I’m cheap.

- Brush: Kent BK8S (New Kent synthetic)
- Razor: Karve (F plate)
- Blade: Polish Polsilver NOS (6!!!)
- Soap: B&M Paganini’s Violin
- Aftershave: B&M Paganini’s Violin balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

I can’t believe I got a great 6th shave out of this blade. Most of my blades are binned after 2-3 shaves. I will try a 7th, but it might be a 6 shave blade for me, but that is excellent. I have used this blade in 4 different razors and it has performed extremely well with all,of them.

The new Kent synth is an impressive brush and their new flagship line (BK4, BK8 and BK12) after discontinuing badger completely last year. After one shave, I think it is an excellent brush and one of the best synths I have tried. We shall see how it performs in future shaves. Lathered B&M SoftHeart well.

Not BBS, but close.

9.5/10

7E623858-6CFC-4B2C-BFD8-C08CD8EBD44C.jpeg
22F0EE56-0094-4419-87BE-7293222C00FE.jpeg
86EA7C2D-AC24-43D0-B7F7-74542F0D65BC.jpeg

P.S. Zoom right in on the knot in the last pic. Damn, cell phone cameras are getting good! 👍

Last edited:
A stable of Omega Boars and a Stirling Finest Badger is a great bevy of brushes. I was a synthetic guy first, then synthetic and boar and finally added badgers. It took me about a decade to pony up the funds for a Badger brush because I’m cheap.

For me, it’s not so much that I’m cheap (though I am frequently) it’s more that if I’m gonna spend 10 times on a product as one that already works very well for me, I at least need to have a good idea I will like it. I got the Stirling so that I could try and determine what, if anything, I like about a badger brush that I don’t get from a boar or synthetic, and if it’s something that resonates with me, I may feel more comfortable about getting other badger brushes that cost more. As far as getting the job done, that is applying soap to face, I am perfectly happy with a PAA synthetic or a $10 omega Pro or 10066. I’m liking the Stirling so far, and I’m hoping to have a better idea of what it is I like about it soon.

Today's shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: GSB

Soap: Cella Red tub
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Fine Santal Absolut

DFS+

For me, it’s not so much that I’m cheap (though I am frequently) it’s more that if I’m gonna spend 10 times on a product as one that already works very well for me, I at least need to have a good idea I will like it. I got the Stirling so that I could try and determine what, if anything, I like about a badger brush that I don’t get from a boar or synthetic, and if it’s something that resonates with me, I may feel more comfortable about getting other badger brushes that cost more. As far as getting the job done, that is applying soap to face, I am perfectly happy with a PAA synthetic or a $10 omega Pro or 10066. I’m liking the Stirling so far, and I’m hoping to have a better idea of what it is I like about it soon.
I have been going through this same exercise. I started with a cheap badger (Rocky Mountain Best Badger) it worked and I didn't know any belter. Got a PAA Synth followed by a Semogue boar. Than I retired the cheap badger and got the Stirling finest fan knot. I am currently use the brushes in a rotation. I think they all are good brushes but yes there are differences. I am holding off on deciding what I like best for now but if I had to decide right now I like the synthetic's. I want to get a higher end synthetic next.

Pre: warm shower, shave secret oil, hot water
Soap: Tobs tobacco
Brush: Omega 48 pro
Razor: Lupo .72
Blade: Sharp titanium (2)
Pass: classic 3 pass
Post: warm water, alum, cold water, lucky tiger face tonic, clubman vanilla, Nivea sensitive
Bbs no irritation no redness no cuts/nicks
Very happy

I'm interested in this pre shave oil you have concocted.
I use a 4 oz blue bottle with an eye dropper. I put a table spoon each of the following oils. Grapeseed, oil Avacodo oil, Sweet almond oil, Jojoba oil, and Argan oil. My wife says I should put an essential oil in it to give it a scent. I kind of like the scent it has naturally, it is kind of peppery. I need to experiment with the ratios but I just went with an even parity across the board for now. The Grapeseed oil I want to be the carrier oil because it is light. The Jojoba oil is like the oils your skin secrete. Your skin will not produce as much oil if you use this oil. Argan oil soothes and moisturizes. Avocado oil will moisturize and is a natural sun block (I live in Florida). I used Avocado oil straight for a shave oil for a time. Sweet almond oil for complexion and skin tone. I have not tested this oil blend on anyone other than myself. I have used it without any adverse affects.
I like shave oils because I think it helps my skin and prepares my whiskers for the shave. The first time I used shave oil my wife exclaimed what did you use your face looks so much better. I also think if you can keep your skin in good condition that's half the battle to a good shave.

F70C3EB8-A417-46EC-A7EE-5F7C43374422.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapNoble Otter Monarch, USA 🇺🇸
BrushBGB Synthesis G6 Badger, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorWolfman WR2 1.35 DC, Canada 🇨🇦
BladeVoskhod, Russia
AftershaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹, Proraso Balm Italy 🇮🇹
FragranceTom Ford, USA 🇺🇸
Rating8.5/10
Hey that's my signature fragrance. Its ok I know its very good.

- Brush: Kent BK8S (New Kent synthetic)
- Razor: Karve (F plate)
- Blade: Polish Polsilver NOS (6!!!)
- Soap: B&M Paganini’s Violin
- Aftershave: B&M Paganini’s Violin balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

I can’t believe I got a great 6th shave out of this blade. Most of my blades are binned after 2-3 shaves. I will try a 7th, but it might be a 6 shave blade for me, but that is excellent. I have used this blade in 4 different razors and it has performed extremely well with all,of them.

The new Kent synth is an impressive brush and their new flagship line (BK4, BK8 and BK12) after discontinuing badger completely last year. After one shave, I think it is an excellent brush and one of the best synths I have tried. We shall see how it performs in future shaves. Lathered B&M SoftHeart well.

Not BBS, but close.

9.5/10

View attachment 1303108View attachment 1303109View attachment 1303110
P.S. Zoom right in on the knot in the last pic. Damn, cell phone cameras are getting good! 👍
Oh, that brush looks nice! Adding to list…

Top Bottom