What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Complicated shave today.

Gillette Brazilian Goodwill
Bolzano (German) - 5th shave
Mitchell’s Wool Fat

Then...

1st attempt - Semogue 1800 (unsuccessful)

2nd attempt - Simpson Trafalgar T2 (very good)

I tried starting with the Semogue on the dry side, but it didn’t work. Never got a good lather. Went for the first pass, first stroke and... decided to start all over again with the Trafalgar.

Conclusion: when in doubt, heed @Marco ‘s advice!

Overall - 7.5 for the trouble

86CB2C13-1777-4269-989B-8331F9C181C8.jpeg

D7744BA3-7C7E-47E8-869C-043A2D633D0C.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Shave Cream Classic scent (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Chiseled Face Banana
Brush: Yaqi Violet synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Sharp Titanium (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: PAA Coconut Bay w/Lime! splash

Excellent shave...DFS/BBS. A few minor weepers on my lower neck. There wasn't much to do this morning...very little stubble because of yesterday morning's shave being so close. Sharp Titanium has another shave in it, but I'll be swapping it out regardless. Any time I start to see weepers, I err on the side of caution. Banana, Coconut, Lime...sounded good to me!

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20210723.jpg

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Coconut, Tallow Formula
Brush
Simpson Duke 3 in Best
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Mergress XL
Blade
Lord SC
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
Today I used a different razor in my rotation: Mergress XL loaded with a Lord SC blade. The last time I used this razor was back in late May and early June. This has turned out to be my favorite adjustable razor. The Duke 3 is one of my smaller brushes but still does nice work in making lather A very nice, BBS shave. Have a good weekend, B&Bers.

10/10

Been looking forward to this shave!
Rex ambassador (setting 6 on all 3 passes)
Vintage Polsilver (5th use)
Razor Emporium Badger brush
Captains choice copper bowl

PAA Ice cube
Razor Emporium Old school soap
Razor emporium old school splash

This was an excellent shave using some new things. I'll start by saying those folks at Razor Emporium knocked this stuff out of the park.

The soap and splash were perfect. The scent was solid and a great leather scent but also clean. Scent strength is about a 5 or 6/10. The lather was very easy to make and the quality is up there with any popular artisan.
This soap and splash left my face feeling soft and clean.

The brush was also new. Very nice handle. The badger I believe is a best badger. Very minimal scritch (I dont like scritch). I thought I wasn't going to like it when I felt a tiny amount of scritch but each time I lathered it I loved this brush more and more. It lathered soap very easily and has a great flow through, and doesn't eat your lather. It is also still very comfy to face lather with.

I had zero feedback from alum block and zero burn from the alcohol in the splash. Just a nice, comfy, BBS.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, July 23rd 2021

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur 50mm- Mfg 2021, excellent mid range, 1st 50mm blade razor I owned and its enjoyable with the Kai Protouch. Carefree shave today.
Blade: Kai Protouch MG(1) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. One of my favorite blades to use, carefree.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea, interesting scent with excellent lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm boar bristle- it stopped shedding months ago and it has turned out to be great brush, great lather generator, soft tips , nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea AS with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea with 2 drops of HA.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur with a Kai Protouch blade.

Sunday Schick shave July 23rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: GEM G-Bar
Blade: GEM PTFE
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Bowl: Black Stirling Collapsible bowl
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar T-3 synthetic
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS shaveup. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Wonderful shave. Nice smooth shave with the G-Bar. Finally made it with no weepers!!

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 SS, Knurled
Blade: Feather 🪶(2)
Brush: Vie-Long Horse, 21mm
Bowl: RazoRock Ceramic

Lather: Speick Men Shave Cream

Speick After Shave Lotion Splash

Three total passes WTG, XTG and ATG to a smooth BBS. A better process than yesterday's shave with the 3ONE6 since yesterday was my introduction to the razor.
Speick products are really good imo. The shave cream made a luxurious lather with it's signature scent. ( I have a Speick shave stick also.) The Enhanced Witch Hazel and Speick After Shave were excellent. No nicks or weepers or razor burn.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

10/10

Been looking forward to this shave!
Rex ambassador (setting 6 on all 3 passes)
Vintage Polsilver (5th use)
Razor Emporium Badger brush
Captains choice copper bowl

PAA Ice cube
Razor Emporium Old school soap
Razor emporium old school splash

This was an excellent shave using some new things. I'll start by saying those folks at Razor Emporium knocked this stuff out of the park.

The soap and splash were perfect. The scent was solid and a great leather scent but also clean. Scent strength is about a 5 or 6/10. The lather was very easy to make and the quality is up there with any popular artisan.
This soap and splash left my face feeling soft and clean.

The brush was also new. Very nice handle. The badger I believe is a best badger. Very minimal scritch (I dont like scritch). I thought I wasn't going to like it when I felt a tiny amount of scritch but each time I lathered it I loved this brush more and more. It lathered soap very easily and has a great flow through, and doesn't eat your lather. It is also still very comfy to face lather with.

I had zero feedback from alum block and zero burn from the alcohol in the splash. Just a nice, comfy, BBS.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.
I have Razor Emporium's Connecticut Yankee
Heritage Shave Soap. A homage to the original William's Shave Soap. It's excellent as well.
Thanks for the good post.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Razor: Rockwell 6C (setting 3)
Blade: Derby Extra
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Lather: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Postshave: the alum block
Aftershave: Jeris Osage Rub

I read some threads about soaking the MWF puck in water in order for it to fit the ceramic dish, which I did. For me, it took around three days, which was longer than I anticipated. I also took a few days to allow it to dry.

I don’t normally shave on one days growth, but I was eager to try the MWF. It was a decent shave with a little skin irritation.

I originally planned to use a different splash, but I thought, “You know what would be perfect right now??? The Osage Rub.” The postshave was fantastic.

8.999/10

5FEFAFF6-2107-4362-AACB-2D7D93F78735.jpeg

Razor: Wilkinson - Pall Mall (7 Day Set) 1905
Blade: Wilkinson - “Special” Wedge Blade
Brush: Semogue - Owner Club 24mm (Boar)
Pre-Shave: CW Beggs & Sons - Face Wash & Scrub
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave - "Happyland Barbershop"
B423D82A-2CE4-4794-9FEA-6B58A1735CE1.jpeg

Shave Rating: 6/10
This Shave Took 2 Hours!
My second shave with the Pall Mall 7 day set. The Friday blade was pitiful. I could barely get it to cut hair. I don’t know what’s going on here. I honed these blades from extra coarse diamond and 1k,3k,8k and12k Stones.I checked the apex with every stone with a magic marker. These blades were fully apexed and carefully honed but still seem dull.
I couldn’t go on like this and halted my shave. I rehoned the blade from extra-coarse to 12k, and rechecked the apexing again. To my sense, the blade still didn’t feel that sharp to me.
I put it back in the razor and resumed my shave. Better, it’s removing whiskers, but not very efficiently. At this rate it will take me ten or more passes.
Halt! Stop the shave again.
I removed the blade and stropped the hell out of it on my big 3” Ezra Arthur horse hide strop.
5795E7A6-7F5D-478A-8F78-0DCD2FAC789C.jpeg

Okay, back to the shave. I reinstalled the blade and continued my shave. The stropping must have smoothed the edge right out. It’s now shaving me close and smooth.
I’m nicely shaved now, but that was a lot of work. I have to figure out why my blades aren’t coming off the stones feeling “Razor sharp”.
My Wilkinson Empire blade was in terrible shape and honed up sharp as the dickens with less work. I just don’t know. I guess I’m really going to have to study my Sunday blade before I put it to use for my next shave.

Last edited:
Lots of interesting and fine shaves today! Thank you all for sharing.

Friday morning shave- two-pass, rating 9/10, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation, overall a CCS, not an epic shave by any means, but really nice; still feeling out what the OneBlade Hybrid can do:

Pre-shave: shower w/ WSP Lavender Tea Tree soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid- third use- seemed better today although the shave wasn't any closer, or smoother, this razor seems to give an almost fool-proof experience
Blade: Feather FHS-5 (3) the shave felt better today, the blade seemed to cut better than yesterday, maybe a better lather?
Brush: Vintage Art-Deco Klenzo that I re-did myself with a TGN 20mm badger knot years ago; it turned into a fun, small face lathering brush
Soap: RR Italian Lime soap- another soap that was sitting in the cupboard that I hadn't tried; a basic EO lime with a nice slick lather; if this one is representative, then RR Italian soaps are darn good!
Post-shave: cold rinse, then some Humphrey's WH and when it dried a splash of Clubman for Friday

Have a great weekend! I'm planning to watch some Olympic action this weekend; I've missed it.

PXL_20210723_162953008.jpg

20210722_090044.jpg

Razor: Schick L6 Easy Rider
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. My first Schick shave in nearly two weeks! How good it feels!
:badger:

Soap: Stirling Coconut Lime
Razor: Wade and Butcher open comb DE
Blade: Astra SS
Brush: Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch hazel / Copious amounts of Osage Rub

Was never a fan of Astra blades, but I have them so once in a while I'll try to burn through a blade. Got about what I expected from this shave.

8/10

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Top Bottom