What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Circling back to use stuff up...PdP, T2, GSB (5) in ATT SSR1, and 4711. Bingo. BBS. Not as luxurious as the MdC but still mighty fine soap. The SSR1 plate is not quite as comfortable as the CM1 but is still mighty pleasant. I have a CR1 on the way. 9.75

4B15D6E2-756C-48A7-8CBA-16A39D2776E5.jpeg

Razor: RR Lupo .72
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: PAA Starcraft
Aftershave: Stirling Electric Sheep

Good morning! I feel like I’m neglecting my other razors, but the Lupo is working so darn well, I keep wanting to try all the blades in it. So far anything I like has worked quite well. The Wizamet is no exception. (Which is convenient as I have quite the pile of them.) Superb shave, BBS except a spot on my neck.

10/10

Razor: Muhle R89 TWIST
Blade: Durablade 7a.m. Hi Platinum (1)
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar, 23mm

Soap: Huntlee Master Lather,Sweet Tobacco

Lustray Blue Spice After Shave Splash

Three passes and a touch-up to a near BBS finish. Smooth, comfortable and pleasurable throughout.
Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, June 17th 2021

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant- Mfg 2016>, Excellent mid range, first razor to get a true BBS with, some blade tab overhang, 2 pass with some pickups is all I need because of efficentcy of this slant. Good inexpensive razor head to have in the shave den.
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson sword saloon, excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity, Good value for your hard earned $ IMO.
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside, light scented with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Dandelion Cashmere 24mm knot, Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter. Very nice deep green handle, handle has a very nice feel in the hand.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant + a Gillette Wilkinson coated blade.

DE SOTD, Thur, June 17th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Schick M3 Adjustable
Blade: Schick "Chick"
Soap: Arianna & Evans Asian Pear
Bowl: Blue Timeless
Brush: Stirling Persian Jar PJ3 Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Stypic Pencil, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black AS
Rating: 9.5/10 Very Good 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. Four weepers, no cuts or irritation. Smooth shave but not as close on my neck.

Thursday morning quick one-pass shave, 9/10, CCS, no issues at all, lots to do before we leave Saturday evening:

Pre-shave: South Florida is so humid I'm not sure my beard softens much from my shower. It's rained almost every day we've been here, and humidity has been 70% or more; it's 82% now. It's been a long time since I've been in such a tropic-like climate.
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot plate- close and comfy shaves continue
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)- the Proline blade was dulling, so I popped fresh Feather in this morning
Brush: Shavemac small pure badger- dandy little travel brush
Soap: Seaforth! Heather
Post-shave: cool water rinse, pat dry, Seaforth! Heather AS w/alcohol splash

No time for a pic today; shave close and well my friends!

Razor: Wilkinson - W12 Empire “Popular” 1949
Blade: Wilkinson - Empire Wedge Blade (1)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Mike’s Natural Soaps - Hungarian Lavender
Aftershave: Fine - American Blend
Blade Honing: 1000-3000-8000-12000K & 0.1micron lapping
06DFA0A8-2C3A-4A91-B556-FC89498841A0.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Confidence building shave of the month!
My first experience with one of these Kooky,Krazy, Steam Punk Wilkinson Empire razors. They dont utilize disposable blades, but reusable wedge shaped blades. My razor only came with one blade that needed some TLC
55F430E1-ED2A-4EF9-AC05-54318CB258EE.jpeg

I’ve never tried this before, but I had no choice but to get out the sharpening stones and start honing.
I started at 1000k and finished at 0.1 micron. Cross your fingers. I also gave it 20 strops on the leather for good luck
BD955FA2-E4AA-4C27-9416-6A262727AD6E.jpeg

I had no idea if my first stroke would reward me or rip a piece of my face off. I even mixed up an extra thick bowl of Mikes lather to smooth the way.
Wow! This bade might be sharper than a Feather DE yet as smooth as silk. What an incredible shave. My confidence in my abilities has increase. The razor glided over my face to a super comfortable BBS. It was like I had no blade in the razor. I even started daydreaming…which can lead to disaster while shaving.

Great new experience with a whole different kind of razor. I’m still 😊 smiling.

Last edited:
Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Gillette Super Blue (3)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Coconut
Aftershave: Stirling Coconut Lime Aftershave Splash
Rating: 8.5 / 10

Good 3 pass shave, resulted in DFS face and CCS neck with no cuts, weepers or irritation. Got a great lather from the TOBS Coconut and Thäter knot. The Super Blue blade was fantastic the first shave then got rougher / less smooth and more blade feel as the next shaves progressed and wasn’t enjoyable this shave. It would be a great one and done blade for me if I could get it for super cheap but I have other blades that give me several fantastic shaves, not just one. Oh well, you win some and you lose some when you test blades and I enjoy the process of testing different blades.

View attachment 1282796
Great looking brush, and an incredible razor, happy shaves my friend.

Doug

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Extro Cosmesi Bay Rum (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- Hylamide SubQ Skin Serum
- Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Muhle Rocca
- Satinex 2000 Platinum Plus (2)
- Zenith 80B

Shave Rating: 7.5/10
Second shave with the Satinex in the Rocca and similar to last week with the Israeli Red there's a bit of post shave irritation and using a shallower angle is causing me to miss some spots. Starting to wonder if a neutral angle with a less sharp blade is the way to go with the Rocca so will likely switch the Satinex into a milder razor and try out the Muhle blade that came with the Rocca.
Also my second shave with an Extro Cosmesi soap, another pleasant enough shave but its scent and performance are a notch below others in my den. Not sure I am a fan of the coloured lather either.

20210616_082856.jpg

Razor: Schick M1 Dial Injector razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. :c2:

Lather: Turtleship Lime
Brush: Semogue Boar
Razor: Gillette Tech (on RazoRock barberpole handle)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Balm: Barrister and Mann Seville

I don’t usually shave with this Tech, but brought it along while petsitting at a place with a nice outdoor shower.

Perhaps it was the elimination of all distractions (aside from birds chirping) -- or maybe it is just that shaving outside is super-relaxing -- but this pre-dawn shave was a delightful and easy 9/10.

Tech.jpg

First use of a badger brush, my new Simpson Colonel X2L:

tempImageeGJeJC.jpg

You never know what you'll find in a guest bathroom . . . the person who put it there never knew it would be in a SOTD pic!

Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L -- washed and test lathered only once, so not exactly broken in, but still fun to use!
Lather: Piacenza
Blade: Kai Captain Original (1) -- first ever use of this blade; it worked perfectly fine! Kai blades rock. All of them.
Razor: Blackland Vector SB
Splash: Speick Active (not pictured)
Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold (in the blue travel thingy)

I tried face lathering with the new badger, and didn't do a great job, but good enough to shave off 48 hours' worth of growth. It is kind of fun to have another new learning curve thrown into my shave. Everything else had become pretty dialed in.

The brush is a really nice artifact and I'm glad to finally have one in my kit. I will be taking close notes on how it works and will probably get one or two more relatively soon to set up a rotation.

Results: DFS as always with the Vector, with just three passes and no touch ups today. Plenty good for a long hike in the woods.
Rating: 9/10

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollowed SR​
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele - 24mm Mother Load​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Unscented​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
10/10 DFS! No nicks! No irritation!

24A10187-60E4-49F2-8A46-647B01BCD477.jpeg

Pre: Proraso white
Brush: AP Shave Co modular synth
Lather: IB Amici
Blade: Fresh Kai
Razor: Late ‘40’s Aristocrat (no date)
Nice DFS+ . Amici is similar to Stay Traditional by Officina Artigiana but much lower price. I love ‘em both. Third or fourth shave with the new Aristocrat. Works well with the Kai, but everything does.

Top Bottom