What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

1621365281165.jpeg

Chisel & Hound / 26mm V9 Fanchurian
A&E - Kaizen
Rockwell 6S / R5
Voskhod

10/10: As good as it gets today.

Razor Timeless SS .68 SB
Blade Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Brush Yaqi Rainbow Synthetic 26mm
Soap Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime
Toner Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime
EdT Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime

Rating 10/10 BBS
First shave with the Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime as it just arrived yesterday. This soap makes a wonderful silky high structure lather just like Seaforth! Heather. The scent is more subdued than Heather though. The lime/citrus component is most prominent with other scents that my poor nose finds difficult to define. Someone with a normal nose could give a better description. This is a light refreshing soap perfect the hotter days ahead. 4 passes with buffing and touchups to BBS. No weepers or irritation. This soap is going to see a lot of use in my rotation this summer.

SSSL SOTD.jpg

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit shave cream
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime

Another excellent shave from this razor and blade pairing. TOBS lathers so easily and well...it's hard not to dial it in correctly. I'll go another day with the Derby and then replace it. New splash from Seaforth...Sea Spice Lime. Smells really good! A wonderful Spring/Summer version of their Spiced! product. My wife liked this one, but doesn't care for the regular version, Spiced. It was a grand shave morning. This bottle of Lucky Tiger has one or two more applications left and then it's time to grab the bottle that's in reserve.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

View attachment 1268332
My wife says Seaforth! Spiced smells like Comet cleaner but she likes Heather and Sea Spice Lime.

Here I was thinking Pro Super's were going to be a good fit after just one shave yesterday, and then I go and cut myself right below the nose on the first pass this morning!

tempImageyIiKYS.jpg

I sure hate starting a shave with a cut. Alum wasn't enough to close it up so I had to reach for the styptic.

The Seville didn't yield enough lather for a touch up pass so I whipped up some Proraso Blue cream quickly.

Overall the shave was certainly close except for on the chin, where I am a little nervous about trying too much with such an aggressive blade. But the shave was also harsh and unforgiving. I've switched out the Pro Super for something milder tomorrow.

The Speick was heaven-sent as a quick recovery aid right after the final rinse, and I decided to follow it with the Glacial Lemon Chill for some extra scent and a lot of cooling. Good call. Kind of redeemed the whole sad state of affairs!

Rating: 6/10

- Brush: Simpson M7 Manchurian
- Razor: Razorock Hawk v2
- Blade: Schick Proline (2)
- Soap: Stirling Alighieri
- Aftershave: Stirling Alighieri
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Not a bad shave today but only 2 quick passes as I shaved late last night. I started with a Feather AC Pro that had 5 shaves on it. It was super tuggy so I had to toss it and grab a Proline. Now I know a Feather Pro is a 5 shave blade for me.

Alighieri is a nice cologne scent (Dior Fahrenheit) and lathers nicely. The M7 is a great brush and always holds enough lather for 3-4 passes.

8.5/10

DE995817-79D5-4049-8002-81A308593C4B.jpeg

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
2 1/2 pass shave: WTG, XTG/ATG​
Razor: Le Grelot Campiono 309 5/8​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Tabac Original Shaving Soap w/ Bowl​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso White Alcohol Free After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
10/10 BBS! DFS! No irritation! No nicks!
  • One enjoyable shave this morning!
  • This brush has come into its own! And it is still getting better! It is loading very nicely now. The bristles have softened. I have liked the performance of this brush for a while, but seems to have moved to the next level (as far a breaking in)
  • I was overdue for a shave like this one....
proxy.php

Wed 19 OTR SE SOTD
Soap Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake
Razor Yaqi AC Brass
Blade Feather Professional 4th
Post & Aftershaves Alum + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Clubman Gents Gin
Superb soap qualities!! Awesome delicious scent with a rich, thickly creamy & slick lather...just very good! Love this soap!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was very good and efficient. Can feel the blade is crisply sharp but yet smooth and comfortable for 3passes without any issues for a BBS result!! Enjoyed the excellent aftershaves too! Rating 10/10!
20210519_090107.jpg

Today's Shave:
  • Prep: Warm water splashed on face
  • Cream: Gillette Pure
  • Brush: Yaqi R1710 Butterscotch Orange Handle, Tuxedo Synthetic Knot
  • Razor: RazoRock V3 SS Hawk A
  • Blade: Schick Proline (8)
  • Post Shave: Thayers Original
  • Aftershave: Brut
  • Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
  • Rating: 9.8/10 DFS+
My second shave with my new RazoRock V3 SS Hawk A. I am really liking this razor!

Mostly Clear Tuesday Evening Shave:

Fatip OC Slant Piccolo
Perma-Sharp Super (4)
RR Bruce synth brush
PAA Ice Cube 2 as stick
Tabac stick
Dickinson's witch hazel with Pereja Limon Kolonya
LEA 3-in-1 balm with mild alcohol and menthol.

Clean, close shave; accidental BBS

Great performance from Tabac as usual. I'm even coming around on the scent; now that the soap has aged a bit, it has toned down some. Once lathered, it's all right. The Perma-Sharp Super blades are a great match for the FOCS. Though I don't use the Bruce brush very often, it worked really well here.

Prep : Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Weber PH with Bulldog Handle
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade (D4)
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Old Spice AS Lotion
Rating : 9.8/10 :pipe:

Very close and comfortable BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

Good morning! The wednesday of my MdC training week provided for a great shave. Again, basically the same set up, the Shavemac Synthetic created a large amount of great lather easily. Today I shaved four passes (WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG) with a rather mild plate on the 6S. Shave was comfortable, close and smooth, one nick above the lip - scores a 9/10. Let's see how my neck reacts to four passes - usually that is my sensitive spot.

I am more and more hopeful that I might be able to be in France for my summer vacation. In that case I plan to buy some more MdC soaps (currently I am thinking of buying a 200g jar Agrumes and a 200g jar Original - let's see). I really get more and more used to the MdC and get a feeling for it.

Razor: Rockwell 6S, R3
Blade: KAI (3)
Soap: Martin de Candre Agrumes
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24mm Fan
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor Protection

Have a great wednesday, whereever you are!

10/10
PAA Ice cube
345 soap co Shark bite soap and A/S

Stirling Stainless steel HA base plate
Nacet blade (1st)
Stirling Kong brush
Captains choice copper bowl

Fantastic shave. 3 days heavy and coarse beard growth gone. Nearly bbs after 2 passes. 3rd pass was still very smooth and comfortable. I was surprised how comfortable this shave was.

The soap was a fantasticly bright and delicious scent. Excellent performance as well.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.
Very nice soap and matching aftershaves!! Since their release last year, I have been longing for this soap then waited and again now but still unable to acquire it due to the shipping cost. Too bad Maggard does not stock up on this soap...

Tuesday, spent all morning at a playground and then to the Gowanus Canal superfund site where they have lots of trucks, cranes, barges and such; the little guy- three this week- loves to watch trucks at work. Mid-day shave, two and a half passes, plus clean up, 10/10, no miscues, an excellent BBS shave:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head, this is clearly the best level for me with this razor, no nicks, consistently no irritation, yet quite close for a safety razor
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)- this new blade and fantastic lather did the trick
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar- I've been using this one a lot and liking it a lot.
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- wonderful again today
Post-shave: cold rinse, then a goodly splash of Old Spice AS, it's here and it is a change, but frankly, other than the nice bit of burn, I miss my Floids and other AS.

Here's today's Picture:

View attachment 1268476

Yesterday I wrote: Having just the Occam's razor, and the OREN version here in Brooklyn and only one pack of Feather Pro blades has really let me get to know these razors well. They are quite fun to use and deliver a great shave for me. Not quite as close as with Feather DX holder on the initial pass, but with some tidying up they do deliver a consistent and delightful shave.

I agree with @JPO, there is indeed a limit to what a floating blade can do. I've noticed there are places on my aging, flabby mug, that I need to use different stretches and angles to reach with these razors. For me to get to BBS requires a bit more effort than using the same blade in a fixed holder, like the Feather DX. On the other side the Occam's razor's floating blade seems less prone to causing weepers from those tiny uneven bits on my skin. Using the same blade, I can get a truly easy, comfy, and close shave with the Occam's, easier than with my other holders. Not a better shave, just a different one. With little ones running about, that's a plus. This is clearly another of our hobby's YMMV distinctions.

Have some wonderful shaves!
I have the O.R.E.N razor. This have become my pick up pass razor after i use either a feather artist club style razor or after a one to two pass straight razor shave. It also work great with one day of beard when you have to get out the door in the morning.
One good thing about this razor is the lack of maintenance and cleaning. I just rinse the razor under hot water and let it air dry.
I think the O.R.E.N is a bit to light, and the standard version would probably suit me better. It has a unique lock to it though:)

Top Bottom