What's new

What did you reload today?

Scott, I bought those Acmes only 2-3 months ago, they're making more... Just check back. The brass, too, come to think!

Powder and primers... I know. Another story. Maybe ask at your local range. Ours has a bulletin board, I hate looking at it - somebody is always selling some gun I need.

AA

I bought my press and dies a few months ago and Hornady still owes me 600 rounds. I’m afraid they’ll forget...LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primers are the biggest problem, then powders. Bullets can be had, but one must be checking the sites that sell them very often. I was lucky to score a few times .45 acp and 38 bullets from Precision Delta - checked their site a few times a day. When bullets become available, they sell out very fast, sometimes within hours. I am running low on 9 mm, and these seem to be the ones that are mostly used in reloading. One thing I noticed was that the price for .45 acp went up a good 25% from September to October!!
I think I am set for a few years with primers and powders.

My free bullets will probably arrive from Hornady before I get ahold of the powder and primers I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
More brass processing! I have 80 pieces trimmed to SAMMI min, flash holes deburred, and sizing mandrel run thru the necks. Just need bang buttom, magic fire dust, and freedom seeds installed and I am ready to load for my trip!

nikonNUT

Whipped up another 10 rounds for an ES/SD test to see how the node holds up... More impressed with the ELD-Ms every day! I've been checking COAL against CBTO and the results have been eye opening! Running the CBTO at +/- .001 on the Scenars yields COALs varying but as much as .012". Not horrible but there has to be be some variance in the BC with the meplats being that different. The ELD-Ms? Total variance is .0015". Seeing at a change of .004 in BC equals .1 MIL at 2K (6.128") I'll take any reduction I can get!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
OK, I'll bite. What is CBTO? And how did you figger that a change of 0.004 in the BC equals 0.1 MIL @ 2K?

nikonNUT

OK, I'll bite. What is CBTO? And how did you figger that a change of 0.004 in the BC equals 0.1 MIL @ 2K?
Oh the joys of ballistics calculators! :) JBM has a good that will let you input everything (including multiple BCs based on mach number per Lapuas doppler radar test, the phase of the moon, and possibly the color of my mood ring :lol: ) and it will spit out a range card. I just went in and tweaked the various BCs (this is a common practice to true software) and hey presto! Change in holdover found. Not a huge amount but with a 2 MOA target (41.88") 6+ inches is a good bit of real estate and better saved for shooter error and/or changes in velocity. I also discovered that a 10 FPS ES is a 14+inch variance at 2K while 40FPS is 56+inches (it's not quite linear) AKA missing the target COMPLETELY even with good holds and dope...

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Oh the joys of ballistics calculators! :) JBM has a good that will let you input everything (including multiple BCs based on mach number per Lapuas doppler radar test, the phase of the moon, and possibly the color of my mood ring :lol: ) and it will spit out a range card. I just went in and tweaked the various BCs (this is a common practice to true software) and hey presto! Change in holdover found. Not a huge amount but with a 2 MOA target (41.88") 6+ inches is a good bit of real estate and better saved for shooter error and/or changes in velocity. I also discovered that a 10 FPS ES is a 14+inch variance at 2K while 40FPS is 56+inches (it's not quite linear) AKA missing the target COMPLETELY even with good holds and dope...

So do you have a weapon mounted calculator or a stand alone and which unit?

nikonNUT

So do you have a weapon mounted calculator or a stand alone and which unit?

My current set-up is running a Keatrel 5700 Elite w/ Applied Ballistics paired to 2 apps on my phone. One is StrelokPro and the Ketrel LINK ballistics. I like the Kestrel app as it let me the Applied Ballistics custom drag models but the interface sucks and it is very crash prone. StrelokPro is less refined as side from a few Doppler Radar profiles you have to manually BCs etc. Plus is that’s it’s much more user friendly. There are others as well like Hornady’s 4DoF and Lapuas 6DoF but I haven’t played with them yet. I’m honestly thinking about a tiny dry erase board that clips to my scope mount. Sample the atomospherics, write the dopes on the board, and clip it to the scope. Easy, fast, and no batteries!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I had used the KAC app on my phone back when I shot FTR @ 600yds just to get a basic dope for my .308 handloads, but I have never used anything as sophisticated as what is available today. Of course shooting at one known distance doesn't require anything sophisticated. I was looking at the online JBM calculations, do you use that at all?

nikonNUT

I do use JBM's stuff. There are calculations that I can perform on their site that makes my head hurt! :lol: With good data in I think a person could make a solid range card. The only thing that, in my opinion, the new apps bring to the table is the ability to sample atmospherics on site live as well as tweaking spin drift, Coriolis effect, etc.

nikonNUT

Cranked out 80 rounds for the trip...
2BF1754A-2E3D-4424-AE10-4A046CD5F09F.jpeg

Ought to get the job done! 🤣

nikonNUT

And here we go again... Cranked out 30 rounds from 103.0grs to 104.0grains in 5 round groups at .2gr increments to try and fine tune the node on the .338LM. Hoping something good will come of it... <sigh>
Ladder285gr.jpg

nikonNUT

Yes, I used to play around with that measurement and found that in my case it really comes into play at ranges of over say 800 yards.

Not sure how I missed this but I'll throw my $.02 for the sake of throwing it. I agree it does play "more" of a role further out but it has advantages inside of 1000 yards. My attempts have always revolved around finding the load with the best ES/SD (still working on this) and then adjusting the CBTO aka jump/jam to tighten up group size as much as possible (NOTE: Some bullets are so jump tolerant that is doesn't make a damn but I digress). This method comes from the likes of David Tubbs, Erik Cortina, et al.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Couple-three hundred .45 acp today....brass getting also harder to find, all the bins at my range are emptied out before I get there, one guy gets there early since he lives close by and my drive is about an hour ...bummer. Used to get lucky on Mondays.
Went through my brass "scrap" bin, and collected some 250 or so .45 cases that are just fine. I had sorted them out when brass was plentiful and this were head stamps I was not caring much for. Now they getting used.

Top Bottom