What's new

What did you reload today?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I finished reloading the 200 primed cases of .30 carbine with 110 FMJ RN over 14 gr. of H 110, but I had some issues. On the Dillon 550, the "powder funnel" in the powder measure had excessive wobble so that if I failed to manually align the case mouth with the funnel, case mouths would get crushed if the alignment was not perfect. Subsequently I lost 12 cases out of 200 primed. This usually is not the case with Dillon powder measures, not sure why the .30 carbine powder charging station had so much play in the alignment, but something is obviously out of spec.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Converted the Dillon 550 over to load .308. Trying a new powder, TAC as it meters well, 42 gr., topped off with 168 gr. SMKs. Just loaded 20 rounds for now till I test them at the range.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I set up the Dillon to load .308 for my AR-10 and M1A. My "precision" .308 loads for my Savage 110 bolt action will continue to be loaded on my T-7 turret press and with individually weighed charges of Varget powder topped off with 175 gr. SMKs. The semi-auto loads will use military brass that is resized with small base dies and primed with CCI 200 primers, whereas my precision rounds will use Federal or Lapua brass and primed with Federal GMM primers.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I knocked out 65 rounds (because that's how many primed cases I had on hand) of my .308 precision load of 42.6 gr. of Varget under 175 gr. SMK in Federal brass and sparked with Federal GM210M primers on my Redding T-7 press. RCBS Charge Master 1500 used to weigh each charge.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
One of my post-retirement projects is to get my reloading equipment and supplies better organized. Until now, I have made do with a single turret head on my Redding T-7 press and have had only my .308 and .223 match dies installed on the single turret head. I splurged and ordered two more turret heads for the T-7. I will have two sets of .308 dies on one turret head, a set of small base dies for semiauto and a set of match dies for bolt action precision ammo. I'm just starting to load for 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor and those two calibers will be installed on a second turret head. The third turret head will house my .223 match dies and probably my .300 BO die set. All other calibers will be loaded on my Dillon 550 for frequently used pistol rounds and non-match rifle rounds. Infrequently loaded calibers will be relegated to one of my single stage presses.

I have a lot of brass of various calibers sitting around in various stages of preparation. Some of it in plastic storage containers, some in open cardboard boxes, some in Akro bins and some in plastic baggies. Sitting on the floor, on my benches and some on shelves. Unfortunately, I've never been a model of efficiency or organization. I need an intervention! It will take a while to process and organize all the brass I have cluttering my reloading bench and work areas. I also need to load up some of the less frequently used calibers but keeping a dwindling primer supply in mind. Luckily it seems primers are becoming sporadically available. Sorry for the disjointed rant and stream of consciousness, but it helps me gain a little clarity on what I need to do.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
One of my post-retirement projects is to get my reloading equipment and supplies better organized. Until now, I have made do with a single turret head on my Redding T-7 press and have had only my .308 and .223 match dies installed on the single turret head. I splurged and ordered two more turret heads for the T-7. I will have two sets of .308 dies on one turret head, a set of small base dies for semiauto and a set of match dies for bolt action precision ammo. I'm just starting to load for 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor and those two calibers will be installed on a second turret head. The third turret head will house my .223 match dies and probably my .300 BO die set. All other calibers will be loaded on my Dillon 550 for frequently used pistol rounds and non-match rifle rounds. Infrequently loaded calibers will be relegated to one of my single stage presses.

I have a lot of brass of various calibers sitting around in various stages of preparation. Some of it in plastic storage containers, some in open cardboard boxes, some in Akro bins and some in plastic baggies. Sitting on the floor, on my benches and some on shelves. Unfortunately, I've never been a model of efficiency or organization. I need an intervention! It will take a while to process and organize all the brass I have cluttering my reloading bench and work areas. I also need to load up some of the less frequently used calibers but keeping a dwindling primer supply in mind. Luckily it seems primers are becoming sporadically available. Sorry for the disjointed rant and stream of consciousness, but it helps me gain a little clarity on what I need to do.

Sounds like, you “just think” you’re not organized. You sound alot like me. I bet you know where everything is in your unorganized ‘pile O’ stuff’ and can go right to it.

You need to beware. If you are like me, you will clean up and organize that mess; and then won’t be able to find a damn thing you are looking for. Why?

Because you are now, organized. God forbid. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Perhaps, but I spent about a week looking for a couple of "loose" reloading dies that weren't where they were supposed to be. I was to the point of ordering an individual die that I knew I owned but couldn't find. Actually had it in my cart online. Took another look and finally found it misplaced in the wrong die box of another caliber. Now all of my various .308 dies will either be mounted in the T-7 or the Dillon 550 tool head.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Got 100 .38spl cases resized and primed. 722701DD-7DFF-45DA-BCD3-850B2B3D288F.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Happiness is 100 38spl. smiling up at you. Pre-crimp. 146gr bullet under 4.6gr Unique. Should make a good plinking load. I need to find somewhere I can set up my Chronograph.
FCED0275-4C0C-4447-B027-D4ADDE751846.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Where did you get the smiley face bullets?
Rocky Mountain Reloading. They also have a teardrop bullet which I swear I have some of but I can’t find them right now.
For some reason they only make them for their TCFP in .357. They make TCFP in other calibers but no smiley face. If enough people ask I bet they’d make them in 9mm.

If you haven’t done business with them before I highly recommend them. Great company.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
50 rounds of 6.5 Grendel, Hornady brass, TAC powder 28 gr., Barnes Match Burner 120 gr. projos, Federal GMM SR primers.
My last (first) batch of 6.5G was loaded on the little Lyman Ideal C press. I have since set up the dies on an extra turret for my Redding T-7 press and loaded this batch on that press and that is where they will stay.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
FedEx delivered 2lbs of Accurate #9 today. I’ve got some 140gr Hornady FTx that I should be able to get 1600fps out of. I’m hoping it’ll make a make a nice little and quick brush gun combo with my Rossi 92 for hogs and other critters.

I’ll start loading them up in the next few days.

OkieStubble

I get depressed every time I read this thread. If I could do it all over. Biggest mistake I ever made is definitely not pulling the trigger on reloading many years ago. I can’t stop kicking myself.

OkieStubble

Never too late to start. You can find a way.

Too much un- surety right now in the economic and political realm, to even be sure about the future in supply and re- supply. I get that it doesn’t seem as big a deal to those who have years into reloading and their benches show decades of maturity. But starting fresh from scratch with all the un- surety is a tad bit more daunting for me. The logic of collecting bits and pieces here and there just doesn’t seem prudent for a total beginner when facing the bleak, bigger picture.

If the big picture improves? I would even consider selling my smaller retirement home in a gated community, in order to have more room for an adequate reloading bench.

But right now? It’s just not in the cards.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Found a single one of these two-part, 380 Shellshock cases (below, left) while scrounging through the club’s spent case buckets … anyone here have any experience with their 380/9mm offerings?

Apparently, the “aircraft grade” aluminum base is impervious to unsupported chambers & the mildly magnetic nickle alloy purported “springs back” (close) to its’ original shape after being fired. They’re reloadable, but do require proprietary dies.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Found a single one of these two-part, 380 Shellshock cases (below, left) while scrounging through the club’s spent case buckets … anyone here have any experience with their 380/9mm offerings?

Apparently, the “aircraft grade” aluminum base is impervious to unsupported chambers & the mildly magnetic nickle alloy purported “springs back” (close) to its’ original shape after being fired. They’re reloadable, but do require proprietary dies.

I’ve never seen or used them before. I’d like to see one of the cases cut in half lengthwise to see how the two pieces are joined together.

Top Bottom