What's new

What did you reload today?

Loaded about 150 9mm 115gr copper plated round nose loads yesterday, hoping to hammer out a couple hundred more this evening.

Also, had this misfire the other day at the range, primer blew out but didn't even ignite the powder. I expected a squib with the bullet lodged in the barrel when it happened but just the primer failure occurred.
Never experienced this before.
20210509_193129.jpg

Follow up:

So, as I work close to home I decided to go and disassemble the round during lunch break. Turns out the primer was seated sideways and crushed in to place. I'm presuming these were primed on a progressive set up as I purchased the sized and primed cases from a commercial outfit and it appears one of the primers wasn't oriented correctly but was squashed in anyways. The flash hole of the case was sealed off by the cup of the primer and even though the striker essentially hit the side of the primer it still set it off but the round didn't fire due to the obstructed flash hole.

Obviously I didn't inspect the case that well before loading the powder in and seating the bullet. I've had similar things happen to me when priming but because I am a relatively low volume shooter I just hand prime and I have been able to immediately feel when the primer wasn't oriented or seated correctly, I imagine om a progressive set up that might be easier to miss.

Not today but gearing up to do 250-500 .45 Colt. Brass should be here tomorrow, 200 gr. mold on order, have more than enough lead. Bought (1000) LPP at Bass Pro by luck, they had them behind the counter stacked with 209s months back.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am in the process of re-assembling my reloading gear. I have my RCBS rock chucker and scale and I have brass but no primers. Can’t seem to find a small pistol primers that are affordable. I’m just taking it one step at a time. I ordered a pocket primer cleaner brush thing and a deburring tool. I’m not ready at this point but I’m getting there.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I am in the process of re-assembling my reloading gear. I have my RCBS rock chucker and scale and I have brass but no primers. Can’t seem to find a small pistol primers that are affordable. I’m just taking it one step at a time. I ordered a pocket primer cleaner brush thing and a deburring tool. I’m not ready at this point but I’m getting there.

There's always stuff to do in stages.

I've got how-many tupperware containers, with brass in them at various points.

Because my mind is going, I stick little notes in there ... "clean, ready to resize" or "fired 4/2" or "resized, ready to prime" etc.

AA

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Because my mind is going, I stick little notes in there ... "clean, ready to resize" or "fired 4/2" or "resized, ready to prime" etc.

AA
Back in the 90s I re-loaded 9 mm, 45 ACP and 8 mm 06 For my German Mauser Gewhr. I had all the dies, equipment and everything but I sold them off gradually. Now I’m backtracking.
….That’s a great tip on the sticky notes.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Back in the 90s I re-loaded 9 mm, 45 ACP and 8 mm 06 For my German Mauser Gewhr. I had all the dies, equipment and everything but I sold them off gradually. Now I’m backtracking.
….That’s a great tip on the sticky notes.
Just because there's usually several batches going on at once ...

full

AA

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just because there's usually several batches going on at once ...

full

AA
I am borrowing a Tumblr from a friend. He gave me some 9 mm brass as well as 100 small pistol primers. So I order some walnut medium for it. Seems to work pretty good on cleaning those brass up. It could’ve done a little better but it’s fine.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I am borrowing a Tumblr from a friend. He gave me some 9 mm brass as well as 100 small pistol primers. So I order some walnut medium for it. Seems to work pretty good on cleaning those brass up. It could’ve done a little better but it’s fine.

Well, all right! You're in business.

After all that time, go slow. Focus on quality.

There are a ton of tumbling tricks. I was using animal corncob from walmart, but got walnut medium as well, both cheap.

Some throw a squirt of car wax (?) or other substances in there. I've been using some kind of leftover boat cleaner! and the brass come out pretty shiny and almost slippery to touch.

I have to remember to throw medium away, as it concentrates mercury - I think.

There are many better reloading guys here; I just make range rounds, not precision muntions ...

AA

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, all right! You're in business.

After all that time, go slow. Focus on quality.

There are a ton of tumbling tricks. I was using animal corncob from walmart, but got walnut medium as well, both cheap.

Some throw a squirt of car wax (?) or other substances in there. I've been using some kind of leftover boat cleaner! and the brass come out pretty shiny and almost slippery to touch.

I have to remember to throw medium away, as it concentrates mercury - I think.

There are many better reloading guys here; I just make range rounds, not precision muntions ...

AA
same here on the range rounds. I saw a video on youtube were a guy put in a liquid polishing compound of some sort in with his medium. I'll give it a try.

Saturday morning I reloaded my T/C Omega .50 cal muzzle loader 42 times using 95 grains of 777 black powder substitute, Winchester 209 shotgun primers, and 364 grain maxi-balls that I cast myself. Does that count as reloading? :c9:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saturday morning I reloaded my T/C Omega .50 cal muzzle loader 42 times using 95 grains of 777 black powder substitute, Winchester 209 shotgun primers, and 364 grain maxi-balls that I cast myself. Does that count as reloading? :c9:

Yes! 🤝

Love my inline 50, need to shoot it more.

🤔 Glad to have a ton of 209s, heard they're scarce.

AA

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes! 🤝

Love my inline 50, need to shoot it more.

🤔 Glad to have a ton of 209s, heard they're scarce.

AA

I’ve got a Hawken rifle in 45 caliber so that is next on my list. I don’t have the Pyrodex though.

Last time I fired the smoke pole was 7 years ago when I used her to harvest a little 6 point whitetail during the muzzleloader season. Ammo supply being what it is I thought I’d dig out the muzzleloader. I knew I had many bullets cast, but I was down to 1/2 pound of Pyrodex. I got nervous assuming powder supply would be limited. I ran to the local sporting goods store and was pleased to see they had several jugs of both triple 7 and pyrodex on the shelf. Whew. Crises averted. Then I spoke with the guy behind the counter and he said they weren’t selling much Pyrodex because no one had primers. My heart sank….dang….primers. I raced home with a few jugs of Triple 7 and dug though my supplies. I had 16 209 primers. Rats!
Then I remembered my brother used to reload shot shells for his trap team but stopped shooting a few years ago. Big bro came through. He was sitting on 3 bricks, 3,000 Win 209 primers he had no use for as he had sold his reloading press a while back. I brought him a couple bottles of Johnny Walker and I’m set for primers.

It was a lot of fun shooting the Omega, been way too long. I think I’m going to deer hunt with it again this year and am contemplating using it for bear season as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Our local Walmart always sold off its inline supplies cheap at season end. Buckhorn 209? 409? was the best powder I found... And those various pellets are clean - blue etc.

Got bags of 50 to 45 sabots, so I just use the same slugs from my 45 Colt efforts. They're traveling about 500 fps faster though.

AA

🤔 Our local Walmart always sold off its inline supplies cheap at season end. Buckhorn 209? 409? was the best powder I found... And those various pellets are clean - blue etc.

Got bags of 50 to 45 sabots, so I just use the same slugs from my 45 Colt efforts. They're traveling about 500 fps faster though.

AA

I've got a bag of sabbots I messed with a bit. I have an old Winchester Trapper chambered for .44 mag that I often use deer hunting near the US/Canadian border in heavy brush. I load 245 gr jacketed bullets for that and somewhere along the line I picked up some sabbots to shoot those .44's out of the Omega. Works great, high velocity and all and I've no doubt it would be great medicine for Minnesota whitetails, but, I've shot a number of deer with that .44 and their is just something about hunting with a big old hunk of lead that I cast and lubed myself that makes me turn to lead cast bullets for hunting with the Omega. I know those cast bullets don't perform as well as a modern jacketed round, but, sometimes a guy just has to follow his heart.

I think what really appeals to me about muzzleloader hunting is the pressure of that one shot. I take the responsibility of a clean kill seriously and always practice and use good equipment, but, lets face it, with a muzzleloader even using those plastic "speed loaders" no matter how much a guy practices the second shot is a minute or two away at best. So you really have to be patient with that shot and make it count. When I first started hunting with the Omega scopes were not allowed during muzzleloader season in Minnesota. So I put a Williams firesight on the front and peep on the rear. I believe scopes are now legal, but I like the setup so well that I'm going to continue with it this Fall.

Well gentlemen, I apologize for hijacking this reloading thread. If I get the muzzleloader bug bad enough maybe Ill start up a thread dedicated ot those assuming one doesn't already exist. Cheers!

AA
I do very similar, except with plastic bags that I label with masking tape.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Warning: Ill-timed, foolish rant!

I’ll start with my closing thought ... If Sellior & Bellot were the last primer manufacturer on the face of the earth & my supply of primers was exhausted, it would mark the end of reloading for me!

While I have never had one fail to detonate/ignite, they are the absolute worst fitting primers I have ever used ... irregardless of brass mfg. &/or primer size, seating S&B primers is a pain in the bum - and along those lines, they really should ditch the ampersand in S&B & replace it with a large ‘O’ 😡.

Top Bottom