What's new

What did you reload today?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I need to start casting, is what. Getting lazy buying projos. Cold weather was perfect for it, too.

AA

I didn't load anything, but helped a new handloader today and over the past weeks. He is loading .223 to be shot out of a Rem 700 Varmint. With factory budget ammo the rifle shoots about 1" 5 five shot at 100 yards. I gave him a few recipes to try and instructions on working up loads through powder charge weights and different seating depths. It didn't take long for him to get groups under 3/4", but he wasn't satisfied. He was using mixed brass. Last night, I told him to sort by headstamps and then weigh the cases and toss aside any that appeared much heavier or lighter. He did and went back through charge weight testing. This afternoon he shot and seemed to find a load that would consistently shoot about 1/2"

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I didn't load anything, but helped a new handloader today and over the past weeks. He is loading .223 to be shot out of a Rem 700 Varmint. With factory budget ammo the rifle shoots about 1" 5 five shot at 100 yards. I gave him a few recipes to try and instructions on working up loads through powder charge weights and different seating depths. It didn't take long for him to get groups under 3/4", but he wasn't satisfied. He was using mixed brass. Last night, I told him to sort by headstamps and then weigh the cases and toss aside any that appeared much heavier or lighter. He did and went back through charge weight testing. This afternoon he shot and seemed to find a load that would consistently shoot about 1/2"
What powder was he using? Just curious. I load .223/5.56 for the AR but may build a varmint rifle soon.

Dropped my Dillon XL750 and reloading gear at my parents house, I just don't have time (or space) to be reloading in the near future. Whenever I find time to shoot a match (USPSA), I never have enough time to load ammo for it, and my press needs some good maintenance work done (I'm going to send it to Dillon). Figured prices for 9mm is coming down enough to justify buying a case once in a while. But for ****s and giggles, here's a pic of my race gun! (Before I added the thumb rest)

Attachments

• IMG_8258.jpeg
    IMG_8258.jpeg
    885.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8256.jpeg
    IMG_8256.jpeg
    984.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8257.jpeg
    IMG_8257.jpeg
    783.3 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom