What's new

What did you major in? How much does it apply to your career?

I'll start this thread off by giving some background. I'm currently a freshman in college majoring in business. The school I'm going to has a business school that's ranked in the top 20 business schools in the country. I was lucky enough to have been offered direct admission to the school rather than having to wait a year and applying to the school with no guarantee to get in.

As my second semester and first year of college is winding down, I've found that I'm enjoying the business school as much as I thought and hoped I would. It's not that I'm doing poorly or think it's way too easy, I just don't really feel like I'm actually being taught anything. I know a lot of people change their majors in college, but it got me thinking about how much my undergraduate degree would end up relating to whatever career path I find myself on.

This thread isn't for me to try and find the most "popular" major and change to that...that would be silly. If I do change my major I'll most likely pursue something along the lines of history because I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my history classes both in high school and so far in college. I also like writing, but I'm certainly not good enough to make a living off of it. :laugh:

This site is full of intelligent people and I'm just interested in seeing what everyone went to school for and how much it applies to their careers years later.

I majored in Music, but I'm in the "IT" area now. Go figure. The fact that I have a BA has helped, but most of what I learned in class is kind of sitting dormant in my brain. My best advice is, get good grades and don't do anything to tarnish your reputation.

I double majored in History and Political Science. I am now a lawyer. There is basically no application of either of those to my career. I had hoped when I went to law school that at least my experience in research and writing in undergrad would help in law school. Unfortunately legal research and writing are a very different beast and they didn't carry over.

However, I'm glad I majored how I did. Being genuinely interested in the topic and enjoying my classes meant I worked harder and got better grades. That in turn helped me get into law school and get a scholarship to do it.

I majored in Music, but I'm in the "IT" area now. Go figure. The fact that I have a BA has helped, but most of what I learned in class is kind of sitting dormant in my brain. My best advice is, get good grades and don't do anything to tarnish your reputation.

Thanks for the advice! I suppose I'm just a bit disillusioned with the business school. They make it sound like your life will be a hopeless, jobless wreck unless you graduate with a degree that says "School of Business" on it. My dad emphasized that there's no point in doing something you don't enjoy. While getting a job is an important aspect of a college degree, expanding one's mind and learning how to be a more aware person is just as important.

I double majored in History and Political Science. I am now a lawyer. There is basically no application of either of those to my career. I had hoped when I went to law school that at least my experience in research and writing in undergrad would help in law school. Unfortunately legal research and writing are a very different beast and they didn't carry over.

However, I'm glad I majored how I did. Being genuinely interested in the topic and enjoying my classes meant I worked harder and got better grades. That in turn helped me get into law school and get a scholarship to do it.

I've considered doing something with law later on. I'm leaning toward History because it's such a broad topic that has applications in other fields. My worry with the Business School stems from how the program itself works. There is such an emphasis placed on business-related classes that it almost seems limiting.

Last edited:
Unless you have a specific skill set such as accounting, engineering, law, etc., you will find that any job you take post graduation will involve learning a new skill set. Not necessarily something you learned in school but specific to that job or industry.

My undergrad was in Philosophy (with a minor in Religion); my graduate degree is a Masters of Divinity. They serve me well in my life as a Catholic priest. I am also a graduate of the American Bankers' Association's School of Bank Card Management; in the early 1990s I was a marketing manager for MBNA America. Very little wasted education here.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm one of the lucky ones. In high school, I started gearing my courses towards science and maths (plus economics) in prep for post secondary IT. When I grad'd in 84, I took a 3-year course in Computer Science / Info Procesing / Programming 2 years (year-round, no breaks) and then went to work in the industry. 25 years later, I'm still in the IT industry and loving it.

AA History and Poly Science ,
BA History and Psychology
MA Religious Education

So a School Teacher and Pastor it all comes into play every day.

I have a bachelor of physiology and I'm currently working on a master of public health. My physiology degree has helped me better understand the analytical and scientific side of public health (disease mechanisms, biostats, epidemiology), much of which I've had to use to explain things to my colleagues. For the most part, my degree is very applicable to the career I will eventually have.

BS in Applied Mathematics. I spent a few years in Inventory Management and then in IT. I got laid off my my IT job and currently working as the Inventory Management Supervisor at Home Depot. I hate it but it's a job until I get back in a computer/tech industry.

Applied Math = problem solving! As in using abstract ideas to solve real problems and able to make connections between two apparently unrelated topics.

I majored in Int'l Politics with an emphasis in Soviet Area Studies. It enabled me to do my part in bringing down the Soviet Union.

After that, I went back to school and got a degree in Anthropology. I teach that now, so I gotta say that I've seen a direct relation between what I study and what I do.

BS and MS in Chemical Engineer
MBA Finance

I'm a senior level process technology expert so I make use of both my engineering degrees and my business degree in evaluating operational and technology options.

I was a science major at such scools as F.I.T., M.S.U, The Johns Hopkins, etc. And I can say definitively, after a career in the Army and coming to the end of a career in the Fire Department, damn little applied, for a very short time.

BS in Pharmacy. I have been a hospital pharmacist for 40 years with a short stint in retail. Other than another diversion as an Air Force Weapons Controller, it has always applied.

I originally majored in Int'l Business but then switched to East Asian Studies. The latter has proven to be the most useless degree in the history of useless degrees. I now refer to it as my $50k doorstop :glare:. but, if I could go back in time and switch majors again I probably would've majored in graphic design or some such thing. I can honestly say that the vast majority of people I know are working in fields that have nothing to do with their majors. I can't be bothered with graduate school, mainly because of financial constraints

Going to graduate in December with a BS in Financial Counseling and Planning. Hoping to find a job as a financial planner to help us all retire as millionaires.

I have a BA in Communication (Media Production), and a Masters in Healthcare Administration.

Considering I am an Administrator for a long-term health care company. I'd say it's pretty close.

However, my Masters' program was geared towards hospital management and insurance, not long term care, and not specifically the developmentally disabled population. So, it was good practice on a hypothetical level, it wasn't that applicable to my everyday tasks.

I have a BComm in Marketing and have been a production worker and machine operator. I find i enjoy production work more as at the end of the day my work is left at work, I get twitchy sitting in front of a computer for too long.

Top Bottom