What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I normally feel no pain when I occasionally nick myself. This morning I learnt that even just the slightest of nicks on my lip is quite painful.

Nothing big and easily cleared up with alum. Still quite painful this evening 8f I touch it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Do not do a fool's pass as a first pass on your upper lip.

I don't know why I chose to do a fool's pass as the first pass on my upper lip with my Revisor 6-0035. The blade shaved there very well and I was left there with a BBS finish. The problem was it also left me with two very small weepers that disappeared with the cold water splash inbetween passes.

I normally do no damage when SR shaving. Lesson learnt.

The corners of my mouth used to be a difficult area for me. Lately, the top of the chin under the bottom lip has been where I nick myself...if I nick myself.

Still impressed that one pass of the SR leaves me about as smooth as two passes with a DE safety razor.

Did multiple passes today, including the fool’s pass, which I never do. No nicks. Confidence builds as you get used to the razor. When I started, the Ralf Aust was the one I always cut myself with. I’m nowhere near as good as ChiMensch in his video, but I’m far better than when I started.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I started SR shaving with Nivea Sensitive for Men cream. I then bought some Proraso green cream and thought that was the best. As my Proraso was running out, I ordered another tube. ARKO was also recommend to me here on B&B so I also ordered a few sticks of that. Once I tried ARKO, I put the Proraso aside and shaved with ARKO for the about a year.

This morning I thought that I would give Proraso green a go again. I learnt that for SR shaving Proraso doesn't come close to ARCO (or Tabac tallow) for slickness and shave comfort. I still haven't tried my Derby stick.

Oh what a difference a soap can make.

The corners of my mouth used to be a difficult area for me. Lately, the top of the chin under the bottom lip has been where I nick myself...if I nick myself.

Still impressed that one pass of the SR leaves me about as smooth as two passes with a DE safety razor.
Try what I was told to try. Shave wtg on one side of your face with the straight and the other side with a D/E then swap over and shave wtg again to see the difference. I could feel hear whiskers being taken of with the straight after the D/E but not by the D/E after the straight.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A faucet can harm your edge.

For hundreds of SR shaves I use to rinse the blade under running water during my shave, alway careful to ensure it never came near the faucet. A few months ago, I started cleaning the lather off the blade using a moist spunge.

This morning after finishing my SR shave, without thinking, I rinsed the blade under running water. The edge just ever so lighty touched the faucet spout. I looked at the edge and saw no damage.

After stropping the blade on 0.1μm balsa, I was applying Ren wax to the bevel when I felt the faintest of a burr on about 5mm of the edge towards the heel. Using a loupé, I saw the burr.

20 light laps on 1μm film and a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression get the edge back.

Lesson learnt.

A faucet can harm your edge.

For hundreds of SR shaves I use to rinse the blade under running water during my shave, alway careful to ensure it never came near the faucet. A few months ago, I started cleaning the lather off the blade using a moist spunge.

This morning after finishing my SR shave, without thinking, I rinsed the blade under running water. The edge just ever so lighty touched the faucet spout. I looked at the edge and saw no damage.

After stropping the blade on 0.1μm balsa, I was applying Ren wax to the bevel when I felt the faintest of a burr on about 5mm of the edge towards the heel. Using a loupé, I saw the burr.

20 light laps on 1μm film and a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression get the edge back.

Lesson learnt.
Luckily it sounds like only minor damage.

I learned about muscle memory. When you use a longer blade after a period using shorter blades the ear can get in the way🙃

Based on something written in another thread - I tried shaving today with my eyes closed. Did 1 full pass, my eyes were closed about 80% of the time. Yes, blood was shed, but not enough to convince me to never try again. Not surprisingly I did best on the neck since my normal lifting of the chin to stretch the skin means that I really can’t see what I’m doing anyway. Cheeks also weren’t that tricky - the area around the mouth was the most challenging.

For the record my wife thinks I was utterly insane to try this.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Based on something written in another thread - I tried shaving today with my eyes closed. Did 1 full pass, my eyes were closed about 80% of the time. Yes, blood was shed, but not enough to convince me to never try again. Not surprisingly I did best on the neck since my normal lifting of the chin to stretch the skin means that I really can’t see what I’m doing anyway. Cheeks also weren’t that tricky - the area around the mouth was the most challenging.

For the record my wife thinks I was utterly insane to try this.
There is a thread here on blind SR shaving. Another skill to develop.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Shaving with a matching seven-day set of SR's has its challenges.

I always find that there is always one SR in a set that is not quite up to the standard of the others in the set. I then give that SR some love to to improve it.

The next time I shave with that set, there is always another SR that is not quite up to the standard of the rest. Again, that SR gets some love.

Next week the same happens. This has been happening every week that I shave with a M7DS. Is there no end to this?

Top Bottom