What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I find that I tend to concentrate more when shaving with a Gold Dollar W59. Not sure why yet 😕.
Profile Open.jpg​

South to North on the neck is no problem with a SR.

I used to struggle with neck irritation with my DE. That has been resolved after switching to SR but I’ve still gone easy. It turns out that I don’t need to. South to North is no problem and my neck is BBS. If I ever attempt a fools pass I might be there completely.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

I used to struggle with neck irritation with my DE. That has been resolved after switching to SR but I’ve still gone easy. It turns out that I don’t need to. South to North is no problem and my neck is BBS. If I ever attempt a fools pass I might be there completely.
Don't be afraid of the Fool's Pass. I do it every shave as a test of the edge quality.

As for my neck whiskers, under the jaw line they grow from front to rear. I found this difficult to get a DFS result there with a traditional SR until I tried and perfected a sliding action in these areas from rear to front when shaving south to north. Like the Fool's Pass, this sliding action is not for beginners but it has been of great benefit to me.

As for my neck whiskers, under the jaw line they grow from front to rear. I found this difficult to get a DFS result there with a traditional SR until I tried and perfected a sliding action in these areas from rear to front when shaving south to north.

One of the first things I stumbled upon when using a straight is the benefit of moving/sliding from front to back when shaving north to south. This evening I will try the opposite. Sounds brilliant!

midline jaw upward skin stretching has been useful in clearing stubble on the ATG neck pass for me. trouble spots on neck are now comfortably near BBS even though I'm not intentionally seeking this out.

less feeling of the stubble returning in these areas later in the day, which in turn with warmer weather will equate to less scratchy/irritation feeling in these areas. time will tell when spring fully hits. damn daylight savings time change today. lost an hour you cant get back.

camo

There’s no need to chase audio feedback from a full hollow grind. Sometimes in the later passes there’s just nothing left to shave.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I'm learning my first SR Dovo Bismarck doesn't seem to shave as close as the Wacker Barbier's Bride I just picked up. The Dovo is nice, it's sharp but for some reason I just can't get as close a shave and it's not as comfortable. More practice may help.

@Tomo - a bit off-topic perhaps, but I'd like to ask you, as I recall the picture of your den that really appealed to me with the Vector in it.

So, the S-N / N-S pass on my lower neck and Adam's Apple with a SR is fairly easy for me, as well, BUT (!!) my biggest issue with the SR is W-E/E-W pass, as it's physically impossible to get that 3" long blade in such a position to attack the stubble on my lower neck. It's not the lack of technique on my part, it just can't be fitted there. With the Vector nevertheless, I am able to shave my lower neck and Adam's Apple in just about any direction, which is exactly what I need to get a full BBS. With Vector, I find it easier to do this than any other DE or SE razor that I have.

So, basically, my question is - how do you do it with a SR? How would you approach the W-E/E-W pass on Adam's Apple with a SR?

@Tomo - a bit off-topic perhaps, but I'd like to ask you, as I recall the picture of your den that really appealed to me with the Vector in it.

So, the S-N / N-S pass on my lower neck and Adam's Apple with a SR is fairly easy for me, as well, BUT (!!) my biggest issue with the SR is W-E/E-W pass, as it's physically impossible to get that 3" long blade in such a position to attack the stubble on my lower neck. It's not the lack of technique on my part, it just can't be fitted there. With the Vector nevertheless, I am able to shave my lower neck and Adam's Apple in just about any direction, which is exactly what I need to get a full BBS. With Vector, I find it easier to do this than any other DE or SE razor that I have.

So, basically, my question is - how do you do it with a SR? How would you approach the W-E/E-W pass on Adam's Apple with a SR?
+1, same problem here. Was thinking of buying a barbarossa or other short straight to be able to do the non-fitting we or ew passes on the neck, not sure if this would be the solution. There is probably a trick to it that we don’t know yet 😄

With an open bladed SR you have the ability to infinity adjust the shaving my angle. This comes at the expense of some freedom in the shave direction. On the neck it is impossible to go fully W-E. Sometimes the best you can do is SW-NE. It’s a compromise.

With an open bladed SR you have the ability to infinity adjust the shaving my angle. This comes at the expense of some freedom in the shave direction. On the neck it is impossible to go fully W-E. Sometimes the best you can do is SW-NE. It’s a compromise.
Yup, indeed so... but hey - thanks anyway! At lest I know I'm not alone having this "issue".

+1, same problem here. Was thinking of buying a barbarossa or other short straight to be able to do the non-fitting we or ew passes on the neck, not sure if this would be the solution. There is probably a trick to it that we don’t know yet 😄
I don't think so, as IMHO, it depends on your face contours, when it comes to neck and jawline.

For chubby gentlemen, like Ruds Shaves, Chris IAMCDB or Dave the Barber it's not a problem to go W-E/E-W, but for me it is, as my face is much more "skinny", with pronounced bones due to the lack of body fat, so me, I cannot glide a SR over my lower neck, like these guys, as my Adam's Apple protrudes, as it's not covered with fat.

Ruds Shaves - YouTube

IAMCDB - YouTube

HandleBarberDave - YouTube

My face is more like Nick Shaves nick shaves - YouTube

Last edited:

What I find most effective is a second N-S pass, but using the opposite hand as was used in the first pass. I find that that gives me sufficient difference in the angle of attack and direction of the stroke to be effective at setting me up for a final S-N pass (where those diagonals and some scything strokes come into play a bit).

What I find most effective is a second N-S pass, but using the opposite hand as was used in the first pass. I find that that gives me sufficient difference in the angle of attack and direction of the stroke to be effective at setting me up for a final S-N pass (where those diagonals and some scything strokes come into play a bit).
Thanks!

This is certainly a new perspective for me. I'll try to give it a shot the next time I shave with a SR.

I know we have a similar thread in the general shaving section but I felt there was a need for one particularly using SR's (that includes shavette style razors).

SR shavers normally have a longer learning curve. I know I do. Even after over 150 SR shaves, I'm still learning with every shave.
Shaving against the grain under the nose is hard 😂.

Top Bottom