What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

Theres nothing wrong with a quick refresh on the stones every few days. People can reportedly go for months between honing a but I like a fresh edge. 20 laps with clean water is all it takes to make me happy again.

this is probably only specific to my preferences. with balsa stropped razors I used to go light on the stropping (40 ish).

with Jasper and Arks finishes I prefer a substantially higher number......smooth and comfy this way.

camo

Somewhere around 10 shaves; blade is a bit dull & pulling hairs, despite just being honed recently. Probably due to terrible progression, I jump from 1u to 0.3u then 0.05u. Really gotta fix that gap. So I couldn't go too fast without ripping hairs out, had to slow down and had one of my best SR shaves ever, despite the blade.
Lesson: Low & slow

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Somewhere around 10 shaves; blade is a bit dull & pulling hairs, despite just being honed recently. Probably due to terrible progression, I jump from 1u to 0.3u then 0.05u. Really gotta fix that gap. So I couldn't go too fast without ripping hairs out, had to slow down and had one of my best SR shaves ever, despite the blade.
Lesson: Low & slow
0.05um! That's getting fine and a big jump from 0.3um.

500,000 grit. Jump is so big I don't think it actually does anything, TBH. The razor still tugs a bit even after a fresh hone; planning on introducing a 1->0.5->0.3->-0.1->0.05 progression, to see if that fixes things

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
500,000 grit. Jump is so big I don't think it actually does anything, TBH. The razor still tugs a bit even after a fresh hone; planning on introducing a 1->0.5->0.3->-0.1->0.05 progression, to see if that fixes things
Try stopping at 0.1um. That's where I found the sweet spot for me. Also try finishing with about a dozen short X laps. That also improved the comfort of my shaves.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I learnt today that I can't just rely upon my muscle memory while SR shaving. It still takes concentration! A very small nick on the left jaw line reminded me so.

What I learned today?

What I learned today was to pay attention to detail?

I was using my WH Morley today.

It was stropped and ready to go.

Without much thought, I got everything ready, grabbed the straight razor, and started shaving.

It felt different.

Hmmm...

It was was still shaving well...but different.

Crushed the shave.

Then I looked up, and the WH Morley was still it it’s stand. I had used the Shapleigh. (Both stands are next to each other)

*sigh*

Still an exceptionally good shave. But I was thrown off by not paying attention to detail.

Funny, but true story. [emoji848]

View attachment 1166911

Don’t you love that lather bowl? I had the same pottery one and bought one of his copper bowls. You can run it empty under hot water and it heats up really nicely. Not changing the subject just saw the bowl in your pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That I need to find a better way to shave next to my ears.

I have a mole next to the lobe of my right ear. I wish I could shave this area holding the razor with my left hand so I could see what I am doing, but I cannot reach that far as yet. Therefore, I am still using my DE for this area. This evening I plan to try holding the razor with my right hand kamisori style.

Can anyone comment on this topic?

I learned that my second pass (XTG) goes better when I work the jawline first. This allows me to do skin stretching for the patches above and below and ensures that I have maximally slick, freshly applied lather for the jaw and chin.

I don't need a linen strop. In fact I prefer my edges without it. A few quick water only laps on the finisher every three days is just as fast and provides a better edge.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't need a linen strop. In fact I prefer my edges without it. A few quick water only laps on the finisher every three days is just as fast and provides a better edge.
How were you using your linen strop? I only use mine clean for about half a dozen very light laps after each shave just to dry and clean the edge. I'm still using 0.1um diamond pasted hanging balsa after each shave.

Im thinking of dropping the linen to see whether it’s actually hard on the edge. My edge deteriorated rapidly and I don’t think it’s the leather.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
While applying my Palmolive shave stick to my face this morning, I noticed that the stick had a little bit of hair conditioner on it. I didn't worry thinking that it wouldn't hurt anything.

I then lathered up and shaved with "Lunae" of my Latin M7DS. What a surprise result! That was the slickest lather I have ever shaved with. Tomorrow I might try adding just a small drop of hair conditioner to my Proraso green cream lather and see what happens.

That I need to find a better way to shave next to my ears.

I have a mole next to the lobe of my right ear. I wish I could shave this area holding the razor with my left hand so I could see what I am doing, but I cannot reach that far as yet. Therefore, I am still using my DE for this area. This evening I plan to try holding the razor with my right hand kamisori style.

Can anyone comment on this topic?

I usually hold the razor with my first and middle finger on the shoulder of the blade and the other two on the tang, but around my sideburns and ears I tuck my middle finger under and slide the index finger back toward the scales. Gives me a better line of sight if that description makes sense. Then I can easily move the middle finger back in place for more stability on the rest of the shave.

How were you using your linen strop? I only use mine clean for about half a dozen very light laps after each shave just to dry and clean the edge. I'm still using 0.1um diamond pasted hanging balsa after each shave.
I generally only use leather for daily stropping. Linen is meant to have some abrasive properties that are useful for touching up an edge. As such I start employing it after two days away from the finisher. Very light pressure maybe 10 to 20 strops. I don’t count exactly.

I’m finding that any touch up other than the original natural stone finisher alters the edge feeling. Balsa changes it more noticeably and faster but even linen alters to feeling. I think that I’m moving away from linen. I can’t see a benefit to it. Rather just break out the stone again and do it properly.

I am very confident in my shaving skills and honing results. So I greatly enjoy my shaves but needed learn/experiment a lot with my sensitive skin. Healthy and hydrate skin is the key to great shaves IMO, after all its the foundation we work on. I’ve never had sensitive hairs after a shave 🤣 it’s always the skin. So the past year I focused on skin care, education and a reliable skin care routine that works for me.

Currently my “off day” shaves equate to a DFS without irritation, cuts or nicks, maybe the occasional wheeper but 96% BBS. That makes me happy but I also know that lapses in concentration will abruptly change this. I have reached 500+ straight shaves and learn new things everyday that leads to more improvements.

Having said this I am by no means an expert and will continue to improve until the end...

less is more too!!!!

I was reading threads over the weekend and saw that one member (stone and strop??? maybe) used less laps on the linen and leather. something like 10 on linen.......6 on leather.

I played around with 12 and 7 this weekend. like those results too!

anxiously awaiting for my Jnat to ship!!!!

camo

While applying my Palmolive shave stick to my face this morning, I noticed that the stick had a little bit of hair conditioner on it. I didn't worry thinking that it wouldn't hurt anything.

I then lathered up and shaved with "Lunae" of my Latin M7DS. What a surprise result! That was the slickest lather I have ever shaved with. Tomorrow I might try adding just a small drop of hair conditioner to my Proraso green cream lather and see what happens.

voodoo hoodoo concoctions!!!!!

camo

Top Bottom