What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I learned I must have “touched” the blade to my hand as I have this nice red line on my hand. Sorta looks like a straight razor would have made that mark. Hummmmmm.

I learned that sometimes when we get obsessed in honing and focus on the toe, and finally get it popping hairs, there may be blood involved with your shave. Maybe you get exactly what you ask for 🤣.

I've been experimenting the last few days with skipping my first North to South pass, entirely. Because of the way my whiskers grow that translates to WTG on the cheeks and a combination of WTG and XTG below the jawline. So instead, I've been starting right to left, XTG on the cheeks and mixed XTG/ATG below the jaw and then following that with a more direct ATG below the jaw (this works out to a couple of passes down there due to angles), and then finishing S-N, which catches any stragglers below the jaw and then is ATG on the cheeks. It's working very well, saves some time and some soap.

I think sometime soon I will try just doing the ATG passes below the jaw and then a final ATG pass on the cheeks. Probably will require a little cleanup and buffing to get to my usual standard, but may be a good option for mornings where I'm short on time.

Should note that I wear a mustache, and currently also a goatee-- both are the most challenging parts of my beard. I probably wouldn't try this on the goatee area. A WTG pass plus one or even two ATG passes in that area has been my best bet for a close, irritation-free shave on the chin.

Follow-up to the previous post. I did one ATG pass on the cheeks and two-ish below the jawline today and walked away with the same results I usually get. Just need to remember that skin stretching is not optional, LOL. Got a minor nick next to my chin for my troubles (usually, I do my WTG and XTG passes mostly one-handed, just using facial contortions and head angle to stretch).

I've been experimenting the last few days with skipping my first North to South pass, entirely. Because of the way my whiskers grow that translates to WTG on the cheeks and a combination of WTG and XTG below the jawline. So instead, I've been starting right to left, XTG on the cheeks and mixed XTG/ATG below the jaw and then following that with a more direct ATG below the jaw (this works out to a couple of passes down there due to angles), and then finishing S-N, which catches any stragglers below the jaw and then is ATG on the cheeks. It's working very well, saves some time and some soap.

I think sometime soon I will try just doing the ATG passes below the jaw and then a final ATG pass on the cheeks. Probably will require a little cleanup and buffing to get to my usual standard, but may be a good option for mornings where I'm short on time.

Should note that I wear a mustache, and currently also a goatee-- both are the most challenging parts of my beard. I probably wouldn't try this on the goatee area. A WTG pass plus one or even two ATG passes in that area has been my best bet for a close, irritation-free shave on the chin.

Funny you mention this. I have changed my approach recently as well. I shave every day, 3 pass. I have used WTG, XTG , ATG from the beginning with Straights. I don't think its necessary anymore. Lately I have been going WTG,ATG on cheeks and XTG, XTG on neck and results are the same as my previous routine. I clean up on a 3rd pass just around mustache and goatee. My Neck grows Port to Starboard, and I am not going to risk a blood bath. As good keen razor clears the stubble and leaves no stragglers with my XTG neck passes. With that said, if I go a couple of days between, I would just go back to a 3 pass.

Today I learned, that I could get to all of the neck, including the transition area from jawline joint to neck with the straight, but I still need to pay attention to pressure and angle. No blood, but plenty of redness in the area.

This thread had died down a few months back. I realize someone was "asked to leave" who was one of the more vocal participants on this thread. I learned much from this thread. I hope all newbies and even experienced straight shavers will share their pearls of wisdom going forward. @HeavyD, Post what you are learning on your returns to the straights.
Believe it or not, I just found this thread And will gladly participate. I already think I’ve skimmed a few pearls of wisdom from the group. Thank you!

Today’s shave taught me Not to shave with a straight when in a really foul mood. Nothing horrible happened, I just missed out on a lot of the enjoyment.

I’ve recently also learned I suffer from RAD. Rather than seek professional help, I’m going to quit cold turkey after just one more! 😁

I'm constantly reminded when I shave with an SE that I need to take my time and not rush it. I've gotten pretty good over the years of speeding up my shave, but every time I rush I nick myself.

Today I learned I’m not a magician! It’ll make sense in a bit, I promise. I hope some of the more experienced SR shavers get a smile out of this “discovery”

My past few shaves were horrible. I was embarrassed to post about them. Uncomfortable, terrible quality, razor seeming to chatter/skip, nicks…. I was wondering how in earth I had regress so terribly. I was dumbfounded! I played with angle of blade, angle of attack, you name it, all to no avail. I’d take what I thought was a good and easy pass. There was shaving sounds and the cream was gone, but the whiskers remained. I laughed at myself and decided I must be a magician. I’m the one guy on earth that can remove the shave cream without cutting a whisker!

fast forward to today. The same darn thing happened! I couldn’t accept that I either had newly bestowed magical powers to prevent whisker cutting or that I had regressed so horribly. I decided to whip out an old razor for the non dominant hand. It shaved like a dream! I had been trying to force a dulled razor through my wire brush type whiskers! Well now I know what a dull razor feels like. (It feels like ow) LOL.

the lesson learned: I was far too quick to blame myself without checking my equipment. Yes, for a noob, it is usually you and not the razor, but that is not always the case.

Last edited:
fast forward to today. The same darn thing happened! I couldn’t accept that I either had newly bestowed magical powers to prevent whisker cutting or that I had regressed so horribly. I decided to whip out an old razor for the non dominant hand. It shaved like a dream! I had been trying to force a dulled razor through my wire brush type whiskers! Well now I know what a dull razor feels like. (It feels like ow) LOL.

Been there, done that! And then told myself that I would never again shave with a dull razor and, guess what, I repeated the mistake a month or two later.

I have now made what seems like just about every possible stupid mistake at least two times. This is how you learn. Just keep on persevering and things will improve.

Been there, done that! And then told myself that I would never again shave with a dull razor and, guess what, I repeated the mistake a month or two later.

I have now made what seems like just about every possible stupid mistake at least two times. This is how you learn. Just keep on persevering and things will improve.
Niels Bohr (famous physicist): "An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes, which can be made, in a very narrow field."

Thanks! Just when I thought I was starting to get the hang of things.. LOL. It does usually take a couple times for a lesson to sink in!

I have been trying to learn honing my cheap straight razors with some Lapping films and stropping on a cheap strop and I am realising that I have a lot to learn. Maybe I need a better strop, or some stones or a loupe. It is so easy to give up right now. Guidance from someone expert is a must in my situation.

Top Bottom