What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

KAIs are a little wider than other blades, ergo, a little more exposure in razors like my Techs (today's war a war era Tech with the triangular slots). I forget that as I don't use them as often as SOB (some other blade). While I didn't suffer any real irritation in today's shave, I could tell the shave was a little hotter which my alum rinse confirmed. ;)

Ah, looks like some still have it in stock. The design looks something like the Winning razor. (I'm a big fan of the Winning.)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
1. Even if I have to use more of ‘em, long, sweeping strokes are so much more comfortable than chipmunk nibbles.

2. Even though I’m a wax dot avoider, I’d rather use Gillette Nacet blades than Bic Chrome Platinum blades any day of the week.

After trying the “Cold water only” shave off and on for the last several months, I have come to realize, (and maybe November chilly weather has some influence), that hot water shaving suits me better. I’m even contemplating acquiring one of the scuttles that I see my B&B brethren using.
24CC76F4-8418-4241-AC1D-1E90A4692C64.jpeg

After trying the “Cold water only” shave off and on for the last several months, I have come to realize, (and maybe November chilly weather has some influence), that hot water shaving suits me better. I’m even contemplating acquiring one of the scuttles that I see my B&B brethren using.
Although I've been wet shaving for many years, I had never heard of anyone preferring to shave with cold water, till I joined this forum. So I tried it a couple of times. No thanks, I prefer warm lather. 🤗

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We have a double sink setup in our master bathroom so I put my shaving bowl in the other sink in hot water in between passes. I love the warm lather for however many additional passes I need.

We have a double sink setup in our master bathroom so I put my shaving bowl in the other sink in hot water in between passes. I love the warm lather for however many additional passes I need.
DING!!!!!! As the proverbial light bulb goes on……We have the same set up, but I honestly have never even thought of using the “LOTH’s sink” to keep my shaving bowl submerged in hot water. Conundrum solved and the scuttle not needed. Thanks for waking me up PhoenixKH.👍😊…….Wait a minute, what if the LOTH is using her sink at the same time I’m shaving???? Scuttle back on radar.🫣

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
DING!!!!!! As the proverbial light bulb goes on……We have the same set up, but I honestly have never even thought of using the “LOTH’s sink” to keep my shaving bowl submerged in hot water. Conundrum solved and the scuttle not needed. Thanks for waking me up PhoenixKH.👍😊…….Wait a minute, what if the LOTH is using her sink at the same time I’m shaving???? Scuttle back on radar.🫣
My wife is incredibly understanding when it comes to my shaving time. She finds something else to do while I'm showering until everything is cleaned up and put away. I'm fortunate in that regard.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I wanted to add to the original topic.... yesterday, I confirmed how much I love shaving with the Blutt BR-1 1.20... my "Blutt Edge"... what a wonderful shave it provides. So smooth and efficient for me.... relaxing, enjoyable to use. Now, I did change out the handle to the Timeless Ti Crown. I use that handle on several razors and for me, the lighter weight makes all the razors more maneuverable. I might be sacrificing some benefits the heavier handles provide but for me, but the other advantages outweigh the negatives (double entendre intentional).

I have not used a razor with a barber pole handle before and I am sure they may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but this handle on my new RazoRock SS .84 Game Changer is like Super Glue. Once secured, it feels like part of your hand with absolutely no slippage.
277930A8-D7B5-4128-9E2C-A715E1D12D56.jpeg

What I learned today is that it is always a bad thing to take your razor straight across your mouth without lifting the razor!

Safety bar or not on the Matador Deluxe that was not a wise decision - frankly I still don’t know where my head and mind were when it happened. I got lucky though, no major bloodshed and only light tingling with the alum block.

Cheers,

Guido

I learned more about maintaining a light touch with my Timeless .38 Bronze. Managed a good, though not BBS, shave with no blood and no major burn. Still had quite a bit of sting from the aftershave, so I have a ways to go in learning to use this device.

My wife is incredibly understanding when it comes to my shaving time. She finds something else to do while I'm showering until everything is cleaned up and put away. I'm fortunate in that regard.
I am more like Doug (@Rosseforp) - I get up early to have some protected shaving time. Peaceful and quiet with only the feedback from my razor as sound. Then I am ready for anything....

....well until I get out of the bathroom again....

Guido.

Top Bottom