What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

I learned that I was using the wrong method (for me) to shave ATG below my jawline and neck. It was like an epiphany for a moment.

I had seen a lot of guys saying “don’t stretch” and had tried that with limited success.

“Don’t stretch” in my case was beyond that, it meant literally tilt the head down, trying to make the skin softer and puffed. Bam, ATG smoothness and without discomfort.

The lesson here was that keeping my head straight and “not stretching” was already stretching the skin beyond the limit (I have a pretty defined and low fat jawline).

The opposite end of the spectrum was the answer.

I learned that I was using the wrong method (for me) to shave ATG below my jawline and neck. It was like an epiphany for a moment.

I had seen a lot of guys saying “don’t stretch” and had tried that with limited success.

“Don’t stretch” in my case was beyond that, it meant literally tilt the head down, trying to make the skin softer and puffed. Bam, ATG smoothness and without discomfort.

The lesson here was that keeping my head straight and “not stretching” was already stretching the skin beyond the limit (I have a pretty defined and low fat jawline).

Wow, now that’s quite the epiphany!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It was interesting to me in which direction the whiskers on my neck were growing. In some places, they grow toward my Adam's apple. I misstated this a while back... so to go against the grain, I have to run the razor at an upward angle toward each ear to get it close to smooth. I had been going south to north for my "ATG" pass... and couldn't quite figure out why it was never smooth.

It was interesting to me in which direction the whiskers on my neck were growing. In some places, they grow toward my Adam's apple. I misstated this a while back... so to go against the grain, I have to run the razor at an upward angle toward each ear to get it close to smooth. I had been going south to north for my "ATG" pass... and couldn't quite figure out why it was never smooth.
Yes indeed….Some of us are not so fortunate with North to South or South to North whiskers, especially the neck. For me, I am blessed on the left side of my face and neck, but the right side can be a challenge as my whiskers tend to run from nose to ear and from Adam’s apple the same direction. Can create all kinds of gyrations, especially when I’m using one of my straights.

My neck is the only place that I can't get by with a normal 3 pass shave. The whiskers on the left side of my neck grow toward my Adam's apple, and on the right side there is a virtual 'cow lick'. At least that’s we use to call it when the hair grew in a circle.
It takes a little work during my cleanup, but I’ve had to deal with it long enough that I can smooth it out with little or no irritation.

Learned I really don't care for FEATHER Blades very much and I prefer Sterling soaps over Razo Rock XXX soap. Guess I'll send the XXX and the Proraso soap to have to the bottom of the heap and keep using my Sandpiper until it's gone.

Learned I really don't care for FEATHER Blades very much and I prefer Sterling soaps over Razo Rock XXX soap. Guess I'll send the XXX and the Proraso soap to have to the bottom of the heap and keep using my Sandpiper until it's gone.
Wes1953, I must admit I enjoy using my Nacet and Gillette Silver Blues more than my Feathers.

Today I was reminded how fortunate we are to have a “shave den” well stocked with plentiful products of our choice in a quiet peaceful environment…..I was watching a military documentary where soldiers were shaving, (with issued equipment), in a very crowded, hurried, and loud quarters. My thanks to ALL who have served, and currently serving to protect the rights and freedoms we now enjoy.

During my very early morning shave today, I learned that I enjoy my shave a little later in the morning, say between 7-8am. Not sure why? Old habits are hard to break.

I'm gonna have to give that a try! I find that when I lift my chin to stretch the skin under my jawline, I get a little hollow section right under my jaw that makes the skin hard to reach. Lowering my chin just might work for me! I'll report back when I give it a try.

I'm gonna have to give that a try! I find that when I lift my chin to stretch the skin under my jawline, I get a little hollow section right under my jaw that makes the skin hard to reach. Lowering my chin just might work for me! I'll report back when I give it a try.
Just use a light touch and be careful as the skin is not flat. It really changed ATG for me.

Just use a light touch and be careful as the skin is not flat. It really changed ATG for me.
Worked great with this setup this morning!
PXL_20220623_122431728.jpg

Parker Variant on #2, Derby Extra (2), Tabac face lathered with my Semogue 820 Boar. Honestly, the technique is a little bit of a game changer for me on that section of my mug.

I have been experimenting with rinsing my razor with Cold water vs Hot water during my shave for several days and I have determined my face feels just as smooth and refreshed while rinsing my razor with Hot vs the Cold water which is contrary to many articles I have seen recently. As always……YMMV!

I went to my Tech today. I re-learned that these are great mild shavers, and that the "old" Gillette truly was at the top of its game and a world leader in DE shaving. Made me wonder what we could see from them today, had they not shifted their focus to the research, development, and mass-marketing of multi-blade cartridges.

I'm glad that many examples of these old razors have survived for us to enjoy, but can't help wondering what could have been.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I went to my Tech today. I re-learned that these are great mild shavers, and that the "old" Gillette truly was at the top of its game and a world leader in DE shaving. Made me wonder what we could see from them today, had they not shifted their focus to the research, development, and mass-marketing of multi-blade cartridges.

I'm glad that many examples of these old razors have survived for us to enjoy, but can't help wondering what could have been.

IMO Gillette made a major mistake, shifting their focus to cartridge razors. Sure, on the financial side of things, it was probably the right move, as it made the company outrageous profits, and kept the company lifted up, so there was never any possibility of the company going under, even during the current pandemic.

However, completely abandoning their DE market was a really strange decision indeed, I just don't see why they couldn't have provided both at the same time. I mean, there has got to be folks who work at Gillette today, who have seen this forum, and seen just how many DE wet shavers there are, and all the newcomers who become DE wet shavers as well!

But no, Gillette would rather invent gimicks, like an ultrasonic vibrating cart razor, or a heated cart razor. How many blades are they going to go to next, 10-blades? They got that silly exfoliating razor now, its like, 5-blades does plenty exfoliating, we don't need to buy potato peelers, peeling away our skin! I am just so glad that we have many other brands who take DE shaving seriously and make DE razors.

But I will say, I really love my Gillette 1959 (E-3) 195 Adjustable Fatboy razor, such an amazing vintage razor, that delivers both smooth, and efficient shaves! Its not foolproof like a Henson razor no, but boy does it deliver the efficiency with smoothness.

IMO Gillette made a major mistake, shifting their focus to cartridge razors. Sure, on the financial side of things, it was probably the right move, as it made the company outrageous profits, and kept the company lifted up, so there was never any possibility of the company going under, even during the current pandemic.

However, completely abandoning their DE market was a really strange decision indeed, I just don't see why they couldn't have provided both at the same time. I mean, there has got to be folks who work at Gillette today, who have seen this forum, and seen just how many DE wet shavers there are, and all the newcomers who become DE wet shavers as well!

But no, Gillette would rather invent gimicks, like an ultrasonic vibrating cart razor, or a heated cart razor. How many blades are they going to go to next, 10-blades? They got that silly exfoliating razor now, its like, 5-blades does plenty exfoliating, we don't need to buy potato peelers, peeling away our skin! I am just so glad that we have many other brands who take DE shaving seriously and make DE razors.

But I will say, I really love my Gillette 1959 (E-3) 195 Adjustable Fatboy razor, such an amazing vintage razor, that delivers both smooth, and efficient shaves! Its not foolproof like a Henson razor no, but boy does it deliver the efficiency with smoothness.
Gillette did blink. They have two DE razors available. The King C Gillette safety razor and the Gillette Heritage safety razor. They didn't go all in they are using a Muhle 89 type head. What if they made a modern adjustable. For now carts are still king.

Things change, markets change, consumers change.

It's kind of like the watch market. Quartz movements came out, and most of the market moved in that direction. Manufacturers mostly embraced the new technology and abandoned the old. Some couldn't, or wouldn't change and went out of business altogether.

Today, only aficionados seek and appreciate mechanical watches, and it is a smaller, niche market. You can still get modern versions of old-school watches and movements, but it comes at a greater cost.

Sound familiar? 🙂

Top Bottom