What's new

What did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

We already have the question from rbscebu about, what did you learn from your Straight razor shave today? I propose what did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

I will begin with this one:
When using my 1959 Gillette Fatboy I need to keep the setting on 9 for all passes, including the final ATG on my cheeks. Anything below the maximum setting is just a bit on the mild side for me. I tried 9-5-2, and while it provided a pretty darn good shave, I prefer a little more aggressiveness.

I used my Feather AS-D2 with an Israeli Red this morning for a leisurely Sunday shave around mid morning. Why don't I use this thing more often? Absolutely zero irritation, not quite BBS but very very close. I've left it out, promising myself that I will use it all of this week. I think that the reason I don't use it more often is that it's just so incredibly easy to use it doesn't present a challenge - how ridiculous is that?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
We already have the question from rbscebu about, what did you learn from your Straight razor shave today? I propose what did you learn from your safety razor shave today?

I will begin with this one:
When using my 1959 Gillette Fatboy I need to keep the setting on 9 for all passes, including the final ATG on my cheeks. Anything below the maximum setting is just a bit on the mild side for me. I tried 9-5-2, and while it provided a pretty darn good shave, I prefer a little more aggressiveness.

Hello Butch, good to see you! :thumbup1:

Well, I don't shave on the weekends because I like to relax and do nothing. But the last two times I shaved last week, were with my 1959 Gillette Fatboy, and my Timeless Titanium TI95 razor. And I learned some great things from both of them. I too have course whiskers, and razors that are too mild, don't really do anything for me. So the Feather AS-D2 just doesn't work out for me.

1959 (E-3) Gillette 195 Adjustable Fatboy:

I find that setting level 7 works for me in doing all my WTG passes. I then can use setting level 3 or 5, to do my XTG passes on my face, and setting level 3, to do my DTG passes on my neck. I then follow up with my neck and cheeks on level 3 ATG. I first do the chin and moostash areas on my face with level 1 ATG, to get some of the bulk removed first. I then come back over it again ATG with level 3, which brings me to BBS smooth in those areas. By the time I am done, I am 100% BBS face and neck.

As with any razor, proper angle is important to getting a quality shave, as is using no pressure. But the Fatboy in general, I find, is far more forgiving, then expert level razors. And if you are using a proper lather as well, then it also helps things to go smoothly. If you have several day whiskers growth, use a preshave. Because I don't shave on weekends, the following Monday I will have 3-day stubble, and will use a pre-shave to help things along.

Timeless Titanium TI95 Razor:

The Timeless TI95 is an expert level razor, which requires extra consideration, in both angle of attack, and remember to use no pressure, and to maintain both your angle, and your level of control, throughout the shave. Its not a pick up and your off to the races razor, you have to be careful with what you are doing. Because the minute that you lose respect of the razor, deviate from your angle, or accidentally apply pressure, its going to bight you very easily!

Another thing too, not all razor blades work in this razor. I first tried Bic's, no go. I tried Nacets, no go. I tried Gillette 7 O Clock GREENS, better, but still not perfect. Each one of the blades did their own amount of tugging, and providing me nicks and capillary bleeding of the unwanted. It wasn't till I loaded the razor up with a Wizamet blade, did things improve immensely! Its very easy to lose control of what you are doing, if your trying to run a race with this razor.

I read another post on this board where people talk about doing 5 to 10 minute shaves, ya, you better not try that Mr. Speed Racer with this Ti95 razor, otherwise it will make you regret it. I mean, you'd have to be some kind of robotic machine, where you don't lose control when going at fast speed. If your that good of a shaver, I commend, you, but I'd like to think, most people are just not that good.

Truth is, both razors are amazing at what they do. Both razors can provide me 100% solid BBS shaves with 0 nicks 0 weepers, and 0 capillary bleeding. But, IMHO, the Fatboy is the more easier razor to use, because its very forgiving, is not an experts razor, and one can be quicker with it if they so should choose to do so. The Fatboy delivers me very smooth shaves and I love it. But I also love my Timeless razor, but it really is an experts level razor, but as long as your careful with it, and using the right blade, its pretty darn good!

BTW, I find the Gillette 7 O Clock GREEN blades work awesome in my Fatboy razor, just incase anyone was wondering. I got all this information in my own threads on these razors but, since you asked my amazing friend Butch, I had to deliver what I've learned, since the last shaves I did with these razors. One has much to learn from their own razors.

Its like I was saying in another post, people get presented with a challenge from the Merkur Futur razors, and they give up, and sell them. But I see a challenge as more of something I need to overcome. If I have to alter my technique to use a razor, I consider that a great thing. Why? Cause in my philosophy, it forces me to become a better shaver.

If I gave up on my Timeless razor the first chance I got, I wouldn't have had any reason to increase my skills. But it was my Futur that forced me to increase my skills the first time, and it was my Timeless razor, that forced me to increase my skills even further once again. I am humbly thankful for that. :thumbup1:

Hello Butch, good to see you! :thumbup1:

Well, I don't shave on the weekends because I like to relax and do nothing. But the last two times I shaved last week, were with my 1959 Gillette Fatboy, and my Timeless Titanium TI95 razor. And I learned some great things from both of them. I too have course whiskers, and razors that are too mild, don't really do anything for me. So the Feather AS-D2 just doesn't work out for me.

1959 (E-3) Gillette 195 Adjustable Fatboy:

I find that setting level 7 works for me in doing all my WTG passes. I then can use setting level 3 or 5, to do my XTG passes on my face, and setting level 3, to do my DTG passes on my neck. I then follow up with my neck and cheeks on level 3 ATG. I first do the chin and moostash areas on my face with level 1 ATG, to get some of the bulk removed first. I then come back over it again ATG with level 3, which brings me to BBS smooth in those areas. By the time I am done, I am 100% BBS face and neck.

As with any razor, proper angle is important to getting a quality shave, as is using no pressure. But the Fatboy in general, I find, is far more forgiving, then expert level razors. And if you are using a proper lather as well, then it also helps things to go smoothly. If you have several day whiskers growth, use a preshave. Because I don't shave on weekends, the following Monday I will have 3-day stubble, and will use a pre-shave to help things along.

Timeless Titanium TI95 Razor:

The Timeless TI95 is an expert level razor, which requires extra consideration, in both angle of attack, and remember to use no pressure, and to maintain both your angle, and your level of control, throughout the shave. Its not a pick up and your off to the races razor, you have to be careful with what you are doing. Because the minute that you lose respect of the razor, deviate from your angle, or accidentally apply pressure, its going to bight you very easily!

Another thing too, not all razor blades work in this razor. I first tried Bic's, no go. I tried Nacets, no go. I tried Gillette 7 O Clock GREENS, better, but still not perfect. Each one of the blades did their own amount of tugging, and providing me nicks and capillary bleeding of the unwanted. It wasn't till I loaded the razor up with a Wizamet blade, did things improve immensely! Its very easy to lose control of what you are doing, if your trying to run a race with this razor.

I read another post on this board where people talk about doing 5 to 10 minute shaves, ya, you better not try that Mr. Speed Racer with this Ti95 razor, otherwise it will make you regret it. I mean, you'd have to be some kind of robotic machine, where you don't lose control when going at fast speed. If your that good of a shaver, I commend, you, but I'd like to think, most people are just not that good.

Truth is, both razors are amazing at what they do. Both razors can provide me 100% solid BBS shaves with 0 nicks 0 weepers, and 0 capillary bleeding. But, IMHO, the Fatboy is the more easier razor to use, because its very forgiving, is not an experts razor, and one can be quicker with it if they so should choose to do so. The Fatboy delivers me very smooth shaves and I love it. But I also love my Timeless razor, but it really is an experts level razor, but as long as your careful with it, and using the right blade, its pretty darn good!

BTW, I find the Gillette 7 O Clock GREEN blades work awesome in my Fatboy razor, just incase anyone was wondering. I got all this information in my own threads on these razors but, since you asked my amazing friend Butch, I had to deliver what I've learned, since the last shaves I did with these razors. One has much to learn from their own razors.

Its like I was saying in another post, people get presented with a challenge from the Merkur Futur razors, and they give up, and sell them. But I see a challenge as more of something I need to overcome. If I have to alter my technique to use a razor, I consider that a great thing. Why? Cause in my philosophy, it forces me to become a better shaver.

If I gave up on my Timeless razor the first chance I got, I wouldn't have had any reason to increase my skills. But it was my Futur that forced me to increase my skills the first time, and it was my Timeless razor, that forced me to increase my skills even further once again. I am humbly thankful for that. :thumbup1:
Thanks for the excellent report SWCT, and always good to hear from you. As you and I discussed in another venue, while our Feather AS-D2 razors are a thing of beauty and solidly built, we both agree the razors do not work out for us.
And you are absolutely correct about the beauty of the Gillette Fatboy. What a wonderful razor!

I learned that it's OK to admit that my Merkur 34c may not be for me.

I had put it aside and moved on to some slightly more efficient razors, most notably the Razorock Game Changer 68P. After reading many posts about other members rediscovering the wonders of the 34c, I thought: it's been a few months, I've gained a bit of experience, maybe it's time to use it again just to see what everyone is raving about.

Well, the result was a wonderfully close and comfortable shave that took much longer, and required much more touching up.

I will put it away again, and revisit down the road, but right now I just don't want to work that hard to get a decent shave.

I learned that it's OK to admit that my Merkur 34c may not be for me.

I had put it aside and moved on to some slightly more efficient razors, most notably the Razorock Game Changer 68P. After reading many posts about other members rediscovering the wonders of the 34c, I thought: it's been a few months, I've gained a bit of experience, maybe it's time to use it again just to see what everyone is raving about.

Well, the result was a wonderfully close and comfortable shave that took much longer, and required much more touching up.

I will put it away again, and revisit down the road, but right now I just don't want to work that hard to get a decent shave.
Don’t feel too bad gpjoe. I had to retire mine from the regular lineup as well.

I used my Feather AS-D2 with an Israeli Red this morning for a leisurely Sunday shave around mid morning. Why don't I use this thing more often? Absolutely zero irritation, not quite BBS but very very close. I've left it out, promising myself that I will use it all of this week. I think that the reason I don't use it more often is that it's just so incredibly easy to use it doesn't present a challenge - how ridiculous is that?
I concur wholeheartedly smudge! While an absolutely beautiful razor, (and stand), I consider it very boring, and a tad too mild for my mug.

Don’t feel too bad gpjoe. I had to retire mine from the regular lineup as well.

I know, but I relly wanted to love this razor as it is considered a classic. I'm not giving up. I'm too new at this to conclude that the razor is at fault. I plan to put it away, and try again when I have a year or so of experience on my shaving resume.

I know, but I relly wanted to love this razor as it is considered a classic. I'm not giving up. I'm too new at this to conclude that the razor is at fault. I plan to put it away, and try again when I have a year or so of experience on my shaving resume.
I feel the same way about my beautiful Muhle and EJ 89s.
Classics indeed, but a bit on the boring side.

I feel the same way about my beautiful Muhle and EJ 89s.

I want to reiterate that I got a fantastic shave with it. I just didn't think it was very efficient, and took a lot of careful effort compared to my GC to get to the same result.

Maybe what I relly learned about the 34c was: that is as good as it gets.

I want to reiterate that I got a fantastic shave with it. I just didn't think it was very efficient, and took a lot of careful effort compared to my GC to get to the same result.

That 34C-34G is considered the workhorse of the industry according to Geo Fatboy, and I get a damn fine shave with it, but I really have to work to get a BBS. Not trying to push you down the proverbial Rabbit hole gpjoe, but you may want to give the Muhle ROCCA or the EJ3ONE6 a try.

I recently got a fine BBS shave with my Edwin Jagger DE89 and a brand new PolSilver blade but it took a lot and I mean a lot of buffing. But no discomfort. It's just the nature of a mild razor.

That 34C-34G is considered the workhorse of the industry according to Geo Fatboy, and I get a damn fine shave with it, but I really have to work to get a BBS. Not trying to push you down the proverbial Rabbit hole gpjoe, but you may want to give the Muhle ROCCA or the EJ3ONE6 a try.

I've got a drawer full of razors, at least half of which I haven't used yet. 🙂😄🙂

Game Changer 68OC, GC 84P, a Fatip Testina, a Fatboy, Slim, Red Tip TTO, and four Gillette OC: Old Type, two New long comb, and a New SC.

Those will keep me busy for a while, if I can wean myself off the 68P, which right now seems a perfect balance between efficiency and aggression. I could stop right now and be perfectly happy shaving with it as my only razor.

I've got a drawer full of razors, at least half of which I haven't used yet. 🙂😄🙂

Game Changer 68OC, GC 84P, a Fatip Testina, a Fatboy, Slim, Red Tip TTO, and four Gillette OC: Old Type, two New long comb, and a New SC.

Those will keep me busy for a while, if I can wean myself off the 68P, which right now seems a perfect balance between efficiency and aggression. I could stop right now and be perfectly happy shaving with it.

You better start shaving twice a day to catch up. ;)

You better start shaving twice a day to catch up. ;)

That's part of my problem, I only shave every-other day, and I've taken the slow and steady approach. I try to use a razor for a couple of weeks, which is only seven shaves. At that rate it will take a year to cycle through my (mostly vintage) collection.

That's part of my problem, I only shave every-other day, and I've taken the slow and steady approach. I try to use a razor for a couple of weeks, which is only seven shaves. At that rate it will take a year to cycle through my (mostly vintage)

Last edited:
I was reminded during todays shave why I would choose TOBS Sandalwood shaving soap if I were stranded on an island and could only use one soap. For my liking it’s the wonderful aroma and the copious amount of lather.

Attachments

• 671E45E1-5F93-479D-82DB-60686C6C7E35.jpeg
    671E45E1-5F93-479D-82DB-60686C6C7E35.jpeg
    914.4 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom