What's new

What did you learn from your last smoke?

I find partnering the evening smoke with the right beverage often works wonders. Most evenings for me it’s a diet soda of one form or another, usually a diet coke. Cola is a natural fit with the usual burleys, analogous to the southern practice of dropping a peanut into a bottle of Royal Crown.

At the other end of the day, morning coffee and a mild burley has been an American institution since before anyone here was born.
On mornings when I wake up early and don't have to work out, the coffee and burley would be good. But I really don't want to spread a lot of smoke around indoors near my cats, and it's always still dark outside when I get up. We'll see how that works.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
One of my favorite blends to smoke is MacBaren’s Mixture Scottish. After about the first 1/4 of the bowl, there tends to be a sweet, near honey smoke that draws me in every time. In general, the cobs I use to smoke this blend are shallower in depth so the sweet smoke can sometimes be short lived. Enter the BWC#3 pipe from MM. The pipe is slightly longer as well as deeper than some of my other pipes I’ve used to smoke this blend. With a slower more thoughtful cadence, I was able to really taste the honey in a much cooler smoke that say other pipes I’ve used in the past for a much longer duration, almost the whole bowl. It’s a fairly tall pipe and the diameter is somewhat narrow. However, for this blend I think I’ll be using this pipe for it. 😊

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
One of my favorite blends to smoke is MacBaren’s Mixture Scottish. After about the first 1/4 of the bowl, there tends to be a sweet, near honey smoke that draws me in every time. In general, the cobs I use to smoke this blend are shallower in depth so the sweet smoke can sometimes be short lived. Enter the BWC#3 pipe from MM. The pipe is slightly longer as well as deeper than some of my other pipes I’ve used to smoke this blend. With a slower more thoughtful cadence, I was able to really taste the honey in a much cooler smoke that say other pipes I’ve used in the past for a much longer duration, almost the whole bowl. It’s a fairly tall pipe and the diameter is somewhat narrow. However, for this blend I think I’ll be using this pipe for it. 😊

Funny you mentioned that blend. I just finished a bowl of it, while watching Shane this evening with Mrs. Columbo. I don’t smoke it too often. But it’s a good long dessert smoke whenever I do. Much better than a bucket of popcorn.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
For me, Edward G. Robinson Blend (and, I suspect, latakia leaf in general) is better in small doses.

I’m really surprised you are having this much trouble with Latakia. The amount in EGR is truly miniscule. Most can barely find it. Maybe you got an odd-ball sample.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
For me, Edward G. Robinson Blend (and, I suspect, latakia leaf in general) is better in small doses.
You may best try a blend with a large dose to get your bearings on it. Lat can grow on you, perhaps not as a regular smoke but one you may develop an appreciation of. My pipe smoking began with English blends heavy in Latakia and while I smoke it infrequently now I do enjoy it and always have it on hand. I just started this “codger” affair about ten years ago and have become seriously hooked, perhaps because I am officially an old codger now.

I’m really surprised you are having this much trouble with Latakia. The amount in EGR is truly miniscule. Most can barely find it. Maybe you got an odd-ball sample.
Oh, it is subtle, no doubt about that. Maybe it's that until now I've smoked larger amounts of EGR, a full bowl or nearly, and it seems strong and clings to my hair and beard more, in comparison to the mild aroma I get from the codger blends. The one time I mixed some black Cavendish into it, the Latakia was almost imperceptible. A small dose is probably better until I get used to it.

The scent reminds me of rubber tires, I'm afraid. Not overpowering, not as if I walked into a used truck tire shop, and not impossibly unpleasant -- but more than I'm used to.

. . . Lat can grow on you, perhaps not as a regular smoke but one you may develop an appreciation of. My pipe smoking began with English blends heavy in Latakia and while I smoke it infrequently now I do enjoy it and always have it on hand. . . .
Yes -- maybe once a week or every couple of weeks, I could have some as a change of pace.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Oh, it is subtle, no doubt about that. Maybe it's that until now I've smoked larger amounts of EGR, a full bowl or nearly, and it seems strong and clings to my hair and beard more, in comparison to the mild aroma I get from the codger blends. The one time I mixed some black Cavendish into it, the Latakia was almost imperceptible. A small dose is probably better until I get used to it.

The scent reminds me of rubber tires, I'm afraid. Not overpowering, not as if I walked into a used truck tire shop, and not impossibly unpleasant -- but more than I'm used to.

I've never been in a used truck tire shop. But I'll take your word for it!

No harm if you don't like something. That's why the tobacco vendors carry many blends.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm very hit and miss with latakia - or la-crapia, as I call it from time to time. It often tastes dirty to me, but at other times I really enjoy it.

I do have a soft spot for Squadron Leader, especially as it was the first tobacco I found proper smoking success with, but after about half a tin, I tire of it, and need a few months off it. I now have other milder English blends in the stash, and wouldn't be surprised if I have a similar on/off relationship with those too when I eventually open them. I'm hoping that a few years sealed meld them into something I can stick with for longer.

Yeah, it's like that for me. I really have to be in the mood for anything with latikia. While, for me, EGR doesn't have enough to fall into that category, I still have to be in the mood for it. However, when the mood does hit for a little bit of smoke without upsetting the neighbors, it's a good choice.

I've never been in a used truck tire shop. But I'll take your word for it!

No harm if you don't like something. That's why the tobacco vendors carry many blends.
Glad to hear I'm not alone in being less than enthusiastic about Latakia.

You know the kind of place, usually on a highway or a major street. A converted service station, one or two tires displayed at the curb with grand chrome wheels, a (sometimes) hand-lettered sign saying "NEW AND USED TIRES," a small herd of dusty pickup trucks belonging to both the staff and the customers, and a pack of small tough-looking men in jeans, blue denim shirts, and baseball caps? No, I've never bought anything at one, but I stopped at one local shop to inquire whether they had wheels like the displayed ones. "No, man. Thass just display, you know? Our business is tires."

The aroma was something like what I get from Latakia.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Glad to hear I'm not alone in being less than enthusiastic about Latakia.

You know the kind of place, usually on a highway or a major street. A converted service station, one or two tires displayed at the curb with grand chrome wheels, a (sometimes) hand-lettered sign saying "NEW AND USED TIRES," a small herd of dusty pickup trucks belonging to both the staff and the customers, and a pack of small tough-looking men in jeans, blue denim shirts, and baseball caps? No, I've never bought anything at one, but I stopped at one local shop to inquire whether they had wheels like the displayed ones. "No, man. Thass just display, you know? Our business is tires."

The aroma was something like what I get from Latakia.

I actually like English blends outside on a cool fall or winter morning.

Room note and flavor are very different beasts.

I've found that. Nice flavorful English blends that I enjoy get me dirty looks as Mrs. Rookie shuts the windows. Or bland flavorless blends, she'll put a fan on to draw the aroma in.

That packing Half & Half a little more firmly into a small bowl can result, as it did today, in a great smoke. The same may be true for Carter Hall and other codger blends.

Top Bottom