What's new

What did you learn from your last smoke?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That if you spend a day smoking a half dozen bowls of 1792, Lakeland Dark, Grousemoor, Old Dark Fired and Kentucky Bold - be prepared for the sore throat the next morning.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yikes! Most I ever do in a day is two. I bet that's not a fun wakeup.

I learned that I should just stop trying new things around the wife. Did some Burlier Morning Pipe while watching a movie and despite a couple reviews saying it had a nice room note, the War Department did not agree. I think I'll just stick to the one she likes and quit experimenting inside. If I keep pushing it, I think she'll shut me down on my Vanilla Blend. Maybe take a page out of some of your books, use the garage. But not in this weather.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This morning, I had a wonderful bowl of Peterson Sherlock Holmes in my Peterson 2021 POTY. It was terrific. Later in the day, knowing how much I enjoyed the morning smoke, I tried the same tobacco in a very large bowl Cesare Barontini Bent.
The thought was I could enjoy a bit longer smoke and if I didn't finish it, I could finish it in the evening.
What I learned was that it is amazing what a difference the pipe and/or the bowl size could have on the take on a tobacco.
The large bowl was not as enjoyable. It became a little bitter and I put this down to the bowl size.
It's the only difference between the two sessions.

This makes me think about some of the blends I have tried and didn't care for.
I've been logging what pipe I use when I first try a new blend, so I plan to go back to ones I didn't care for and try them in a pipe that is different than my original experience with them. I will not be surprised if I have a different impression.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have deliberately tried not to look at what tobaccos are in the blends I have been trying to ensure that my mindset doesn't influence my judgement.

This morning I looked at the 20 or so blends I have tried, seeking to find a common thread between those I like and those I don't care for, and what I find is:

I seem to really like Burley/Virginia and Burley/Cavendish/Virginia blends.
I like Burleys, I like Virginias, and I like Kentuckys.
I note that so far, I seem to dislike Latakias and Periques.
I haven't tried enough Orientals to make a call yet.

This has been a very helpful process, and I find that it holds true even though there are stark differences between blends such as HH Old Dark Fired, 1792 Flake, and Lakeland Dark on one side and Sherlock Holmes, Field and Stream Match, Molto Dolce and Ennerdale on the other, and the obvious difference of some toppings/flavorings have no bearing on my like or dislike.

I chose Sir Walter Raleigh Regular for this morning's smoke in my big Trade Winds sandblast paneled billiard. I learned that my "grab up a pinch of tobacco and twist it into the bowl" loading technique will not work with something as fine-cut as SWR (though to be fair this is the last of the current pouch, and may be finer than usual). I had to use the usual 3-step loading. It worked fine.

The bigger bowl allowed me to smoke about 30 pleasant minutes this morning, and the remainder yielded another 10 in the afternoon. Like Phil with his bigger bowl in post 83, however, the last session left the tiniest bitter aftertaste with me. It might be the pipe. It's not one I smoke that often.

I tried the fold-and-stuff-the-flake method with Capstan Blue this morning in my French Lumberman. I really didn't think it would work well the first time. It did: I got the pipe loaded and lit, and puffed slowly and steadily for nearly 30 minutes. Then the last wisps of smoke were still rising, so -- without scraping out any ash -- I lit it again, and got another 10. I need to run out to the grocery, so I'll let it sit now and see, after some ash removal, if there is any more leaf to be smoked when I get back.

I learned I can get away with a 1/2 hour dry time for Full Virginia Flake. Great weed, particularly with some age. Really mellows out. Also, to repeat a PSA on the new tins, be sure to jar it right away. The new tins (with the plastic) don't seem to seal well.

I tried the fold-and-stuff-the-flake method with Capstan Blue this morning in my French Lumberman. I really didn't think it would work well the first time. It did: I got the pipe loaded and lit, and puffed slowly and steadily for nearly 30 minutes. Then the last wisps of smoke were still rising, so -- without scraping out any ash -- I lit it again, and got another 10. I need to run out to the grocery, so I'll let it sit now and see, after some ash removal, if there is any more leaf to be smoked when I get back.
Update: There wasn't. I got perhaps 2 minutes' smoke before the pipe went out, and the dottle I tapped out was small and wet. Still, success with a new method!

In a related point: I dried some PS Luxury Twist Flake on a saucer this am and did the fold-and-stuff into my Victor's Dublin. This did not fold as well, though the pipeful smoked fine. Perhaps for this to work right a flake needs to be a tiny bit moist.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In a related point: I dried some PS Luxury Twist Flake on a saucer this am and did the fold-and-stuff into my Victor's Dublin. This did not fold as well, though the pipeful smoked fine. Perhaps for this to work right a flake needs to be a tiny bit moist.

If I fold and stuff, I tend to do it the day before

Top Bottom