What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I've completely lost interest in this hobby. There are a dozen excellent shave soaps on my shelf but for the last week I've been using Gillette Foamy for a "good enough" one-pass shave. And Foamy is just fine, I even like the scent.

I've completely lost interest in this hobby. There are a dozen excellent shave soaps on my shelf but for the last week I've been using Gillette Foamy for a "good enough" one-pass shave. And Foamy is just fine, I even like the scent.

Heretic 😉

1614618796864.png

A few too many over confident shaves did that to me..but my skin will heal and the ingrown will disappear and I’ll be just as enthusiastic again!

I did not like Bozano Superinox blades in any of my DE razors. They were rough and not so good for my skin. For last 7 months, I have been using Parker Shavettes daily with Wilkinson Sword Indian Blades broken in half. Just for an experiment, I broke one of my Bozano Superinox blades and used it in my Parker SRX. I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth and irritation free BBS which I got from this combination. So now, I am going to try some of my high end DE blades in my Parker Shavettes and see the results!! :001_wub:

I have often read about the virtues of steep angle shaving especially from one of its prophets @Hannah's Dad . With my Timeless Titanium I first used a steep angle and it greatly improved the shave. With my now daily driver Blackland Tradere SB I found a shallower angle worked best when learning the razor but after more than 175 shaves this razor too is working very well with the steep angle, it just took time to learn it.

That the blade in a Tech razor (the postwar one, anyway, and with a Feather blade), when you unscrew the handle, is clearly arched to fit the curve of the top cap. Perhaps that is why the razor is so effective and efficient?

I find that I can only shave with the grain on the first pass and against the grain with the second pass.

For the 3rd pass, I just clean up all the spots I miss by going against the grain again.

I only shave cross-the-grain under my neck.

That even a new Derby Premium blade does not cut as smoothly as I'd like, at least not on a 40-hour beard and in a Slim set to 6, 4, 3 for my 3 passes.

Top Bottom