What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Tried bowl lathering for the first time in a while and really enjoyed the results. I generally face lather. I may try bowl lathering for a while to change things up now.

You don’t need a dense brush to get a great lather. My humble Plisson HMW is still the best lather machine I’ve got.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
That revisiting blades can make a difference. Trying Shark blades again after quite a long time and finding that I am so far getting very good shaves compared to last time.

A small amount of distilled water added to my shave bowl is a good remedy for hard water and I got the wonderful lather that B&M Chypre can offer.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you're experiencing areas of irritation, more/multiple passes isn't necessarily what's causing it. If you're applying enough soap/lubricant before each pass, multiple passes can and should be a non-issue. Lesson learned! Put the soap on before cleaning up those tough spots!

Last edited:
I found that all my other razors except the Gillette Slim will fit in the plastic travel case of the Merkur Progress. If I were to take a road trip and did not want to chance losing the Merkur, my Tech or SuperSpeed would fit in there just fine.

The Slim's handle is a bit too long.

I learn that I may have to buy another Edwin Jagger Razor.
I keep cutting my neck whenever I use it.

This does not happen when I use the Merkur 34C HD.
Aren't they suppose to be similar? Something has to be wrong with my Edwin Jagger DE89.
Perhaps the blade is not lineup correctly or uneven.

Last edited:
I have a really bad habit of leaving a blade in my razor for too many shaves. I start to feel pulling in some areas (typically cheeks), but figure it's still shaving ok and I'm not cutting myself, so I keep going. For some reason, my neck doesn't experience the pulling sensation. Then, I'll eventually put in a new blade and marvel at how much more comfortable it was....and that my shave is closer than before as well. Gee...who knew?

My latest experience may be more related to how tired I am currently than above, however. I had recently swapped out my blade for a fresh one. I shave in the evening before bed, and shower again in the morning as a wake up. I actually forgot that I had shaved the night before, so was pleasantly surprised at the feel as I was washing my face. Now if only I could find a way to get some more sleep.... :)

I shave every 48 hours with the same kit.

I’ve learned the strength of my stubble can vary wildly in those 48 hours seriously challenging my technique which I consider good.

Never seem to get a run of great shaves without a curve ball or two getting thrown in the mix.

No idea why this happens

That my Captain's Choice copper bowl makes small amounts of lather just as well as it makes honkin' huge amounts of lather. Who knew?

A make shift lather bowl is better than no lather bowl at all.

After a rare face-lather travel-shave session yesterday, I learned that I’m a fully converted bowl man.

I learned (or was reminded) that I should always give a little extra attention to the toe of my straight when honing. Also getting more aware of the importance of skin stretching!

Top Bottom