What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

The Chinese Wilkinson sword blade (made for the Indian market) is as good as the German Wilkie!!

And that is very fine for me!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

When you find yourself thinking, "Hmmm. Lather feels a bit thick. May be drying out. Maybe I should relather..."

It does. It is. And you should.
IMG_20200116_063046.jpg

If from yesterday, it's that I needa be more confident with shaving soap as I used Proraso Red and it was a comfy shave and enough lather for my head and face! (2 head, 2-3 with light touch up on face).

That a cheap as dirt WCS OC head attached to a Merkur 23c can give a BBS shave with 2 passes and a touch up. My brother sent me that head years ago and I used it once on a 7 day growth. I brought it out recently and was really impressed with it. Not just for what it cost, mind you. But for its performance. Amazingly good! A tad aggressive, but easily managed. A nice replacement for my rotting flaking 23C head!

I'm learning that my technique takes time to catch up to my DE razor (& razor blade) purchases. Early on I had problems with nicks (technique) and I ended up with the explanation that it was the razor (or blade). Fast forward a bunch of shaves later and I learned that I need to shave with a specific DE razor for many times in a row to learn it / get used to it. I have five DE razors and I can say that I know / am familiar with only three of them - Game Changer .84-P, Merkur 34C HD, and Gillette Heritage. The jury is still out on the other two (Timeless (going back to .95MM eventually), ATT (H1 & R1). With a Personna Red purchase - first couple shaves were nick city - returned for refund. Fast forward to today - one blade that I saved is now giving me almost Feather / Kai shaves. It was rifle, but the nut behind the rifle lol.

Even if you're a frequent shaver who never has that much hair to mow down, don't discount the usefulness of that first WTG pass. Until recently I tended to rush through it, believing that it was ineffective compared to XTG and ATG passes. The thing is, the more care I take with this first pass - which is after all the least likely to cause irritation or weepers - the less I have to do in the later passes, and consequently the quality of the shave goes up while the potential for damage goes down. Pretty obvious stuff, but like I say, it's only recently that the penny has dropped.

This morning, my first three shave strokes were uncharacteristically aggressive. I really felt a large blade gap and was confused. Then I remembered to tighten the top cap and plate (I loosen it for drying). Don't forget to tighten things up or you might get a big surprise!

Muhle R41 is my favorite razor. Haven't shed a drop of blood the 6xs I've used it, with feather blades.

Sent from my 6062W using Tapatalk
This razor was off my radar for so long because all I read about was how aggressive people thought this razor was. And it is indeed aggressive. But no razor comes close to the efficiency of the R41. It’s now in my top three rotation, and will always be. Awesome razor.

I learned that I could finally make good quick lather due to my own at of aggression and my synthetic brush. Also understanding a little truly goes a long way. Using just an Nickle or quarter size of AOS shaving cream and I was able to make enough lather for 3 passes on my head and 2 touch ups from the sides and back, and still have enough for 1 1/2 passes for my face.

Check your equipment before starting!

The screw on my 3-piece razor became loose during the previous shave. I noticed this after a weeper.

‘A poor workman blames his tools!’

I learned yesterday that I missed an important Wet Shaving Commandment:

Thou Shall Not Eat While Shaving.

I got lucky and had one teensy nick, but didn't have my usual great shave.

Top Bottom