What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Never shave if you have dried superglue on your fingertips. Seriously I shaved after doing a messy repair job and my fingers kept telling me "there's still stubble to clear". In reality I was feeling (and hearing) the glue not stubble. I ended up irritating the sides of my chin by over-shaving.

I guess a more general lesson that doesn't require the presence of dried superglue would be: learn when to call a shave "good enough"; there's always a chance to do better next time.

The second best part about returning home is being able to use my ‘usual’ kit! :a29:

(The best part is sleeping in my own bed!)

Two new face contortions. One to trim the jawline, and one for stretching a neck whorl in a more productive way.

A couple new (to me) approaches or holds to accomplish certain passes. One to simplify a scythe motion in a trouble area, and an easier way to a cross body backhanded attack on the neck.

Lesson 1 Stropping a new (or newly freshened/honed) straight razor on leather - more laps, then some more laps. 100 was nice, but the next new razor might get 100 laps on arrival and 100 more just before the first shave.

Lesson 2 A detail straight razor with a short blade edge (Dovo Barbarossa in my case) is a worthwhile tool for getting the beard and sideburn margins right. Maybe too much overhead for every shave, though.

The epiphany that my Ming Shi 2000S has never given me a bad shave.

[In all my other razors' defense, only the Cadet OC and the Old Type really have ever given me a bad shave]

The Derby Premium blades are the straight goods.

Despite regular attempts to break in my boar brush, it does not agree with my face. I should just stop trying to make boar happen... at least for face lathering. Fine bowl lathering brush for LOTH's legs.

I learned that, while the Karve B plate is a fine razor, my Game Changer 0.68 is still my current favorite, and will most likely stay in my top 5.

Stirling makes a fine soap, and MITA still smells quite nice even though it's been a while.

Apparently, I AM technically skilled enough to rub epoxy glue on a badger knot and glue it back into my shaving brush handle relatively successfully (the knot has stayed in).

Not shaking all of the water out of a brush shortens the time to making a nice lather.

I had determined some time ago to not buy any more Old Spice Classic AS once my current bottle is empty.
I didn't care for the scent all that much, but it's okay, so it's still in weekly rotation for the duration.
Tonight I decided that after an hour or so, the base notes settle down to something that's really quite nice.
It's the top notes I don't like - too much clove or something.
So, I will pick up another bottle in the future.
Never shave if you have dried superglue on your fingertips. Seriously I shaved after doing a messy repair job and my fingers kept telling me "there's still stubble to clear". In reality I was feeling (and hearing) the glue not stubble. I ended up irritating the sides of my chin by over-shaving.
:a14: That reminds me of the old Red Skelton gag. He'd hear a squeak when he was opening and closing a door. He repeatedly oils the hinges, and still hears the squeak. Eventually he squirts some oil on his elbow and the squeaking stops.

Skin stretching is the answer for difficult to reach areas! :a14::a14:
That's a big one for me. I know stretching works but I often get lazy, preferring to exchange multiple ineffective strokes of the razor for one that would get the job done with less irritation, albeit with just a little assistance from my free hand.

I pulled the Extro Freddo off of the chopping block today. Now I love it. Maybe, I just had to scrape through the top layer to appreciate it? Or, it just seems better since it's now being imported, and it costs more than I paid.

Despite regular attempts to break in my boar brush, it does not agree with my face. I should just stop trying to make boar happen... at least for face lathering. Fine bowl lathering brush for LOTH's legs.
i found out that I'm a bit allergic to the boars. They gave me a lot of irritation. Switching to a Badger made a world of difference.

That I like synthetic brushes!
I'm in the synthetic brush pass around and I'm really enjoying trying different synthetic brushes.
Opened my eyes to something I wouldn't have tried on my own.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom