What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

An Omega 49 Pro brush doesn't quite suck as much as I've been saying it does.
It's still my least favourite brush, and I still would not recommend it as a starter brush.
Or at all.
It is a brush for a clown because it is so large and floppy.
proxy.php

Maybe they're actually neck dusters.

Okay. Maybe I did not actually learn that from my last shave.
That while I like the scent and overall performance of Tabac, for me the shave stick is not the best form in which to use it. I bought the stick as a kind of sample, to see if I liked the stuff. But the small surface area of the stick's cylinder makes it hard to get enough soap on my face to start up a decent lather with my brushes. And the stick itself dries quickly, so I have to re-moisten it several times while I'm applying the soap.

When it's gone, if I want more Tabac, I'll get a standard size.
How about grinding the stick on the textured bottom (inside) of a lather bowl?

That drawing the blade very slowly seems to give it more time to cut rather than pull.
I've tried that once in a while. I almost think it works better WTG than ATG, but I might be imagining that.

Tabac needs a bit more water (on the soap itself, on your face, and in your brush) than I thought it did.
Yup, it does. Same with Derby tub soap. I ramped up the water and had great lather with Derby today. Shame about the choice in razor and blade I made. I think I prefer aggressive razors.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Russian Perma-Sharp blade pairs very well with a Super Slim Twist. I was struggling getting the closeness I like with the blade in my usual Edwin Jagger, but no problems whatsoever in the Gillette butterfly opener.

I tried some Skintimate Moisturizing Shaving Gel (a Schick product) all by itself tonight. I'm not sure how the can got into our bathroom, possibly abandoned by a guest.
  1. It looks great in the bowl but collapses shortly after you brush it on. Probably because it's not meant to be used with a brush.
  2. It works better when combined with a soap like one of the Prorasos, which is how I've tried it before.

I learned plate 5 on Rockwell 6s just isn't worth it. Sure, I can do one pass instead of two but a piece of steel scraping my skin off is not fun.

You can spend $1 on a razor and 5 blades and still get a serviceable shave if you take it carefully.

Assured Razor $1.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gillette Rubie is supposedly a blade without a lot of sharpness. But for some reason, it really slices through my tough beard. Is it the Teflon? I don't know, but they're definitely worth 20 cents a blade, at least for me.

I bought a Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. It's made of a strong plastic, comes with a tuck of German W S blades, and costs $10. The combination of the two have been giving me the best shaves ever--just as close as I get from any other razor but with no irritation.

However this isn't entirely good news. I've compiled a nice collection of handsome, metal razors, and this $10 plastic one puts them all to shame. Oh well. :a52:

I've realized that the main reason I strive for a close shave is my own satisfaction. If I'm in a hurry, I can do a single-pass shave with the grain, and my whiskers are still invisible all day. No one sees the difference.

That I do not need to shave ATG on the left side of my throat to achieve a perfectly acceptable shave. I may still do it, you understand, but now I know that the return does not justify the chance of a nick. One of which I gave myself today.

The irritation I have been experiencing post shave just might be soap related. Unfortunately. Still about a week to go before I can truly say for sure. Using Nivea products exclusively for about 5-6 shaves and, if the blotchiness subsides while the shaving continues, then I will reintroduce the likely culprit and see what happens. I am hoping it is not the soap, as I love the scent profile.

I bought a Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. It's made of a strong plastic, comes with a tuck of German W S blades, and costs $10. The combination of the two have been giving me the best shaves ever--just as close as I get from any other razor but with no irritation.

However this isn't entirely good news. I've compiled a nice collection of handsome, metal razors, and this $10 plastic one puts them all to shame. Oh well. :a52:
I just shaved with it this morning, using Astra blue blade. It turned out as expected in a great shave, solid and safe!

Inviato dal mio MotoG3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Mitchell’s Wool Fat Shaving soap make a very good shaving soap stick.

I am really liking face lathering with sticks, regardless of soap brand.

Top Bottom