What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

M

mtcn77

Used Proraso Azur & Lime with the same technique I use for 'Arko' today;
  • Hot water in a bowl,
  • Let bowl heat up,
  • Dip the brush in and let it warm up,
  • Pour bowl to a cup,
  • Drain the bowl,
  • Let brush drain a minute,
  • Use ~1cm of the tube in bowl,
  • Foam in the bowl.
Makes for a fantastic lather worth 4 passes.

M

mtcn77

I forgot to try the vinegar rinse suggested here. Maybe I can remember tomorrow.
Also, vinegar followed by a soap. The acid breaks down soap's fatty acids and free fatty acids work the same as a preshave. Plus, vinegar hydrates your beard faster.

I used it in today's shave I mentioned above. Cannot complain.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
A two-pass shave done well can be quicker than a single-pass shave with all the attendant touch ups.
It takes me longer to do a one-pass shave than a three-pass shave.

My guess is this is an ATG-first/only problem.

Read @Tallships does a second pass and waterboards his whiskers for a minute or so before lathering, so I’ve been copying that lately.

I’m not saying that’s what he does for certain as my reading comprehension is bughouse, but copying what I thought I read has been helpful. That and using more painting motions than swirling motions when lathering.

M

mtcn77

Read @Tallships does a second pass and waterboards his whiskers for a minute or so before lathering, so I’ve been copying that lately.

I’m not saying that’s what he does for certain as my reading comprehension is bughouse, but copying what I thought I read has been helpful
I thought I was the only one reading it as *motorboat* which is a nice feature disability, I guess.

Today i paired the rex ambassador with a new permasharp. Ive used this combo before with mediocre results and never cared for the blade in other razors either.

Today I went up to setting 6 on the rex and it made a BIG difference for the blade. It was so much smoother on a higher setting.

So today I learned different blades do differently at different razor settings. I didn't like this blade on setting 4 on the first wtg stroke but it was VERY smooth on setting 6 WTG and XTG and setting 3 ATG was very smooth.
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

A mix of Barbasol foam and Trumper's Almond cream (or, as I've tried before, TOBS Peppermint) makes for a good thick lather, nice and slick and yet protective.

My Semogue boar brush works better for me with creams, or a mix like the above, than it does with soaps.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
On my last shave, I learned that painting water in to my lather only adds enough hydration to my whiskers if I do so incessantly or had been daydreaming in the shower prior to lathering. Assuming surprise lucidity, whisker-soaking/waterboarding/motor-boating? should remain in my routine.

Today I learned 2 things:
1, that the Merkur 42C (1904) can do no wrong.
2, that the little Omega 599 can tease out above par performance from a soap.

IMG_20210418_085534816~3.jpg

Top Bottom