What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

That planing off a 48-hour beard with my Fatip Slant and a Feather blade works beautifully . . . especially, I think, since all this week I have been restricting myself to 1- and 2-pass shaves instead of 3. Perhaps the skin was more rested, or perhaps the stubble was infinitesimally greater and the blade could deal with it every better.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have to admit I feel a lot of pressure from this post. I'm an old guy, so I've been shaving quite a while. I'm not convinced I'm learning something new from every shave.

Today was my first time using a Muhle R41 (only had an Edwin Jagger DE89 before). It was uncomfortable at first until I started using confident strokes - being super slow out of fear really wasn't working well with this razor.

Only got a super tiny nick at the top of my mustache area. 2 passes WTG and it's a DFS.

Barbasol cream makes me sneeze. No, really: There is something powdery in it that triggers some sneezes. It could be the combo of Clubman powder and Barbasol -- but I use the powder every day and don't sneeze. I've noticed that I usually sneeze several times after using the Barbasol.

just started shaving again after moths of sporting a massive beard, so I am indeed learning bits every time. Funny how one needs to keep these skills fresh. I went straight to the deep end of my ATT Atlas H1 with Feathers, and quickly got reminded I have not been doing this for a long time. It nice to "refresh the fundamentals" again.

As part of Fixed Four For March Madness, I learnt that the Gillette Wilkinson sword India saloon pack blade is good for 4 shaves only.

Last edited:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
My learning from my last shave is stay vigilant when using feather blades. I am a long time wet shaver most times it is like going through the motions. Yesterday using a new Feather blad emy mind was on other things and I gave myself a nasty weeper. Learning.... Feather blades are sharp.

I just learn right now that this is BRUSHLESS. I was trying to work up a lather and realize it is not doing anything.
Ran to the computer to do some research and reading.
Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 11.08.34 AM.png

A 1908 Single Ring and zero pressure shave gave me weepers on my chin (like all thin cap Old Types seem to do), but a first time shave using a VC1 Auto Strop loaded with a new GEM PTFE blade (which most describe as harsh on their first use) has failed to do nothing more than provide near BBS 2 1/2 pass shaves without a weeper (and it was repeated on the second shave)... I just don't understand, but I like the results and find myself gravitating away from my DEs to the SE dark side!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
More water! More! Use very wet lathers to keep that water against your skin and make your whiskers pay for their whisker crimes. Hot towel? Cold towel? Teaching your kids to water board using yourself as the untalkative insurgent? More! Hot water? Cold water? More water!

Despite my notion that it's near-impossible to nick myself when shaving my cheeks, I managed it today. A tiny weeper, but there it was. Pay attention!

Top Bottom