What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Reminded myself for the 42243621243115th time that 3 good shaves is all I can get from 90% of the blades and beyond that the shaves are either meh or bad.

Reminded myself for the 42243621243115th time that 3 good shaves is all I can get from 90% of the blades and beyond that the shaves are either meh or bad.
I've tried a Personna Red for a 4th shave in my Slim, a 36-hour beard, and found it, as you say, "meh." Reds are usually my go-to blade, quite reliable. But I've never pushed one beyond 2-3 uses.

So, I am getting a little deeper into the hobby, started shaving with a Van Der Hagen DE Razor, then bought a Vikings Cheiftan, this was all before I found shaving forums. So, I bought a RazoRock German 37, Old Type and BBS. I have used Astra Blades, bought some feathers, and Vostock blades. What I am learning and learned from my last shave, is lather is one of the most important factors for a great shave. I also learned that it isn't so much about which blade or razor that I use, but the amount of pressure I use that creates the best results. Letting the razor do the work, and having good slick lather has resulted in consistent DFS's.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

That if I suck in my chin like this I can shave neck easier.
1614196266054.png

It has been a difficult week. On Tuesday I lost my 93 year old father. Since he was born in 1927, I used my Gillette Ball end Old Type, my best estimate of a razor that approximated his birth year. I also used a Rudy Vey Rubberset type Manchurian that I bought for him about 2 years ago. I never really wanted to see it in my home but knew I would and can only be grateful that he had it for a couple of years. Using his brush and a razor from the time of his birth did give a small measure of comfort.

On to the shaves over the last four days:
  1. The Old Type is a really good shaver. It is much lighter than my usual razor (Blackland Tradere SB). It was milder than I remembered from the last time I used it and could easily be an everyday razor. Perhaps my father’s hand was guiding it for me.
  2. The Rudy Vey Rubberset type Manchurian is a big brush with a longer handle and bigger knot than I usually use. It was quite luxurious and loaded very well with both Cella and Tabac (I use a soap for five and now it will be six days in a row). I’m not sure how it will load Haslinger in the Haslinger tin. Since I normally use a different brush everyday, after five days (and now it will be six) the brush dries adequately between shaves. I used this brush four days in a row.
  3. This brush was dried tips up with no stand. I had always dried my brushes tips down in a stand. Although the knot is quite dense, it appeared to dry more quickly. I have put my brush stands away and will see how the other brushes dry.
Tomorrow I will return to my normal shaving routine, but it was nice to use and appreciate a 90 plus year old razor and special to use my father’s most recent brush.

It has been a difficult week. On Tuesday I lost my 93 year old father. Since he was born in 1927, I used my Gillette Ball end Old Type, my best estimate of a razor that approximated his birth year. I also used a Rudy Vey Rubberset type Manchurian that I bought for him about 2 years ago. I never really wanted to see it in my home but knew I would and can only be grateful that he had it for a couple of years. Using his brush and a razor from the time of his birth did give a small measure of comfort.

On to the shaves over the last four days:
  1. The Old Type is a really good shaver. It is much lighter than my usual razor (Blackland Tradere SB). It was milder than I remembered from the last time I used it and could easily be an everyday razor. Perhaps my father’s hand was guiding it for me.
  2. The Rudy Vey Rubberset type Manchurian is a big brush with a longer handle and bigger knot than I usually use. It was quite luxurious and loaded very well with both Cella and Tabac (I use a soap for five and now it will be six days in a row). I’m not sure how it will load Haslinger in the Haslinger tin. Since I normally use a different brush everyday, after five days (and now it will be six) the brush dries adequately between shaves. I used this brush four days in a row.
  3. This brush was dried tips up with no stand. I had always dried my brushes tips down in a stand. Although the knot is quite dense, it appeared to dry more quickly. I have put my brush stands away and will see how the other brushes dry.
Tomorrow I will return to my normal shaving routine, but it was nice to use and appreciate a 90 plus year old razor and special to use my father’s most recent brush.
sorry to hear buddy, one doesn't know what to say in times like this, but hope you and family recover soon, take care buddy💙

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I learned it took me just over 13 months to unlearn my bad habits that cartridges usually forgive.

Would have been sooner, but I kept relearning those bad habits thinking I was trying advanced methods…

I‘m still doing it wrong, but not in the add pressure to remove stubble sort of way.

Top Bottom