What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I (re)learned that Derby Extra blades and the Rex Envoy is a bad combination. No blood but that alum block was a big stinger this morning.

To each their own but I am the same.

I bought a 30mm Yaqi when I started wet shaving and it looks like something clowns would jump out of a small car waving. It is ridiculously large. Good if you want to kill a tub of soap in a few shaves, I guess.

I like most 18-24mm brushes and 20-22mm is my sweet spot.
You and I are cut from the same cloth where brushes are concerned. I prefer 20mm knots universally and can tolerate up to 22mm. My Omega 10077 and Semogue 1470 are the largest brushes I consistently use. I have a 24mm Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo but don't use it because of the size.

Can you recommend any synthetics in that size range ? I was thinking about a Simpson Trafalgar T1, but it's 23mm... Although I did see somebody mention here on the forums that because of the dimensions of the head that it feels smaller. @BudgetShaverGuy am I remembering this correctly?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Can you recommend any synthetics in that size range ? I was thinking about a Simpson Trafalgar T1, but it's 23mm... Although I did see somebody mention here on the forums that because of the dimensions of the head that it feels smaller. @BudgetShaverGuy am I remembering this correctly?

My two home use brushes are both small knotted synthetics. A Maggards 22mm synth, and a Kent Infinity small. Both are ideal for me. I use the Kent on hard triple milled soaps, and the Maggards for everything else.

You and I are cut from the same cloth where brushes are concerned. I prefer 20mm knots universally and can tolerate up to 22mm. My Omega 10077 and Semogue 1470 are the largest brushes I consistently use. I have a 24mm Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo but don't use it because of the size.

You will likely love the T2, it’s very small with a comfy handle. Let me know if you don’t mind a used one, I’ll sell you mine for a song.

My two main brushes aren’t synths (Simpson’s Specials in Best and Pure Badger). They are 20mm and perfect for me.

The two synthetics I use the most are my Yaqi Sagrada Familia (I agree that is a big one) and a Semogue Pharos C3 which is 21mm with a 50mm loft. The Semogue bristles are not as soft as the Yaqi but it is a great brush for $20US-ish. Worth checking out for sure. I bought mine directly from the Portuguese Factory thru Amazon and had it within a week.

Funny, my next synth will definitely be a Simpson T1. I just haven’t seen them in Canada yet.

My two main brushes aren’t synths (Simpson’s Specials in Best and Pure Badger). They are 20mm and perfect for me.

The two synthetics I use the most are my Yaqi Sagrada Familia (I agree that is a big one) and a Semogue Pharos C3 which is 21mm with a 50mm loft. The Semogue bristles are not as soft as the Yaqi but it is a great brush for $20US-ish. Worth checking out for sure. I bought mine directly from the Portuguese Factory thru Amazon and had it within a week.

Funny, my next synth will definitely be a Simpson T1. I just haven’t seen them in Canada yet.
I don't like excessively soft brushes so I'll definitely check out the Pharos C3! Thank you very much for the recommendation. My Sagrada Familia I'm going to try to trade for a smaller synth

With my Merkur Progress this morning, for my final XTG pass, I re-set the razor to 2.5 (2 on my razor is the mildest) after passes with 3, 2.5, and 2. Possibly this is my recipe for a BBS shave.

Applying shaving cream straight from the tube to my fingertips and then spreading it all over my face followed by building the lather with the brush makes face lathering fast and provides lots of cake frosting like lather for many passes.

Perhaps I should have used settings 4 and 3 on my '62 Gillette Slim today, on a 24-hour beard, instead of 5 and 4. There's no irritation from the simple 2-pass shave and no nicks. But I was aware that I was shaving -- which I usually am not with the Slim on a 48-hour beard.

That the combo of Gillette Red Tip and Rapira Super Stainless blade is a little odd, or my disappointing shave this morning might have been due to the soap, the TFS Sera, which is almost gone and which I had to work to get enough on the brush.

Eben Stone

Staff member
That stretching the skin of the neck, for me, causes irritation and does absolutely nothing to increase closeness. I get a much better shave (closer and smoother IMO) with zero stretching on the neck (except moving the skin off the Adam's apple about a half inch in either direction so I don't have to pass directly over it) .

The one pass shave is quite enough to get a DFS. Especially if it’s with an Edwin Jagger loaded with an Astra SP. Tonight I used Proraso red with it...perfect and no post shave irritation.
I need to remember that fact.,,I love that razor. And Astras are a great value blade. I’d use only them if I could start my blade hoarding again!

Once again, that the combo of postwar Tech and a Feather blade is a winner.

That PAA Atmotic soap is not as good a lather-maker as the tallow-based soaps like Stirling's offerings or Tabac. I mixed the Atmotic with some Stirling Noir & Bay Rum (I''m trying to use up the samples I had), and had a great shave; but the last time I used the Atmotic alone, it was a bit disappointing. I still love the scent, though.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Richard Feynman’s famous quote — “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool” — applies to shaving without pressure much better than Occam’s Razor.

Also, an R41 DE head with a heavy, aftermarket handle helps avoiding fooling one’s self by adding extra pressure to fight.

Top Bottom